Shtf transportation

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Pritchard

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking into transportation. I'm in the auto industry. I was a tech for many years. I see all vehicles built since 1990 and most built since 1985 are computer reliant.
Even then I'm concerned about specific systems before 1985(charging and ignition)

I know an early diesel is a good choice. But, parts availability comes into play.

I have seen a few 1980s blazers and k2500s with diesels for sale. I'm concerned about the injection pumps on those. They dont like modern low sulphur diesel.

The fords I'm not sure how empty strong they are. The dodges with Cummins are over priced or clapped out...

Ideas please.

I think the issue post SHTF would be fuel availability and quality more than which vehicle is best. Both gasoline and diesel fuels degrade over a relatively short period of time. Fuel additives will extend the life of the fuel for awhile, but it wouldn't be a long term solution.
A persons situation and location would play a big part in determining what mode of transportation would be the best fit post SHTF. For myself and my location horses would be the best long term solution for transportation post SHTF.

I think the issue post SHTF would be fuel availability and quality more than which vehicle is best. Both gasoline and diesel fuels degrade over a relatively short period of time. Fuel additives will extend the life of the fuel for awhile, but it wouldn't be a long term solution.
A persons situation and location would play a big part in determining what mode of transportation would be the best fit post SHTF. For myself and my location horses would be the best long term solution for transportation post SHTF.

That's the reason I lean towards an older diesel. With a little ingenuity they will run on almost any oil. Be it veggie based or petroleum based. Fyi making bio diesel isn't that hard.

post SHTF I cant see anyone travelling very far, it wont be safe to travel and it wont be safe to leave "base" for very long, a few miles radius to patrol the area will probably be done on foot, filling stations will be empty and even making ones own diesel from cooking oil depends on where you can source it from, over a short time supplies will be nil.
once normal traffic stops any motor vehicle is going to be heard over a wide area.

I agree that traveling would be too risky for a long time. I live near Atlanta and there are carjackings almost every day. Just think how people would be if there was no rule of law to keep them in check. Sure, there are good individuals, but I’m talking about the masses here. When they are hungry and desperate, and in this country are likely to be armed, do you really want to be driving down a road into the next ambush? I think lying low and being as unnoticed as possible is the smarter move. I have thought that bicycle ridden silently after dark is a possibility before.

I agree that traveling would be too risky for a long time. I live near Atlanta and there are carjackings almost every day. Just think how people would be if there was no rule of law to keep them in check. Sure, there are good individuals, but I’m talking about the masses here. When they are hungry and desperate, and in this country are likely to be armed, do you really want to be driving down a road into the next ambush? I think lying low and being as unnoticed as possible is the smarter move. I have thought that bicycle ridden silently after dark is a possibility before.
Oh we have bikes, for me and my wife. I'm looking to get out of the High population city and into the country.

I'm primarily looking to it as a bug out vehicle. To get out of the city into the country.
I believe that if you bug out early enough before a large disaster then you will be fine. If you wait until traffic is at a standstill then you would be better off waiting until the storm/emergency is past. Then, if you have stored fuel and supplies you could head out, but I would plan on being self sufficient enough to not need gas stations as power will likely be down. After a week or so if people start getting hungry and restless I wouldn’t consider traveling. I guess the most important thing is to consider where you would go to if you have to before there is an emergency. I’ve heard a lot of people say they would run out into the woods. Personally, since I’m not a Nature nut and don’t want to eat pine cones I’m thinking that’s not a great idea.

have enough fuel for 3X the normal journey, you may have to stop and start and take several detours so you will need more fuel than you think.
also where are you going? do you have a destination in mind or are you just "escaping to the woods"?? a lot of city folk say that without knowing what to do when they get there.
it also depends on the time of year, summer may be okay, but winter is a completely different situation altogether, you wont be able to pick when SHTF happens, the chances are it will be COLD, WET, DARK and WINTER.

Last edited:
To make biodiesel, material and supplies would still need to be gathered in a post-shtf which means one would have to venture out, the risk is to great. Once people know you have a fuel source and able to keep vehicles operating then opsec has become a nightmare. I keep enough treated fuel/diesel on hand that can stretch beyond a year, after that as Arctic said, horses will be used. Also keep in mind, it takes energy to make biodiesel, you would need a source for methanol that means 95 or older the rubber fuel lines needs changing out for synthetic rubber lines.

I'm primarily looking to it as a bug out vehicle. To get out of the city into the country.

In the land of the walking, those driving are not King but simply moving targets.

In a slow burn (economic collapse) event you might be able to bug out to your property, but in that situation, then any basic vehicle will serve the purpose. In a sudden burn (Grid Down) event, any moving /operational vehicle becomes a target. The roads will become a shooting gallery. The need for EMP proof vehicles goes out the window, when you look at the risk factors. If you are not at your BOL when a sudden event hits, chances are, you are not going to drive to your BOL. There is also a very good chance that any property that is not occupied at the beginning of a sudden SHTF event, will be taken over by locals, wanting and needing the property and it's stored supplies. So it would require enforceable eviction methods to regain your property. There is a lot to think over when planning to deal with a SHTF event.

Latest posts

Back