Shortages Are Going To Get Worse Later This Year

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like the walnut crop is huge here this year. We had hard wind yesterday and they were hitting the coops metal roof and sounded like gun shots. They are all along the side of the roads too. I'm taking my son walnut gathering this week before the squirrels get them.

I always thought peanut butter was good for preps, but read it goes rancid too fast. I have jars, that will probably lst one year unopened.
Jif has a two year expiration date unopened. You can get another year or so after that if they are stored in a cool dark place.
Creamy Peanut Butter (the extra crunchy has the same expiration date)
When does a jar of natural creamy peanut butter expire?
  • Jif® Creamy Peanut Butter Spread has a shelf life of 24 months when unopened. We suggest using prior to the Best When Used By date printed on the jar for the best quality and flavor. Once opened, we suggest using within 3 months.

My son takes pb&j sammiches most days. I need to have quick foods for him. I wouldn't say he is picky because he loves most veggies, etc but he has a thing about pastas that aren't certain shapes. I've explained they taste the same , but..... My mom eats elbow macaroni but not the straight spaghetti, but she laughs at him. We are stocking up on more pastas this month. My daughter and husband have to have gluten free so that's another issue. That stuff has to be eaten immediately or it turns to mush.

I have decided that rice can be substituted for most of the same dishes and everyone can eat rice.

Pasta originally came from China, and the Chinese have a lot of different types of gluten free noodles made from everything from beans to rice. They don't turn to mush.

My son in law is gluten intolerant, BTW. I made him a gluten free country fried venison feast, including biscuits and gravy. I mixed up my own flour substitute from several different gluten free flours. The gluten free flour substitute from the supermarket was N_A_S_T_Y!
The biscuits were a little lumpy and not quite as fluffy as wheat flour biscuits (I made drop biscuits) but tasted pretty good. You couldn't tell the breading and gravy weren't made from wheat flour.
CaG31Nt.jpg

I have not had luck with growing potatoes. I have always wanted to store over winter, but am afraid of mice.

Is it possible to put straw and potatoes in a large plastic storage bin with lid, close with extra duct tape and store under house in a crawl space? I don't see mice because of cats and chickens, but am sure there are field mice around.

Or, maybe another large galvanized garbage can with lid and then tape the lid on? I know they can't eat the metal.

Can small mice eat through the plastic.

Pasta originally came from China, and the Chinese have a lot of different types of gluten free noodles made from everything from beans to rice. They don't turn to mush.

My son in law is gluten intolerant, BTW. I made him a gluten free country fried venison feast, including biscuits and gravy. I mixed up my own flour substitute from several different gluten free flours. The gluten free flour substitute from the supermarket was N_A_S_T_Y!
You are correct about the flours. I have had some bad results with homemade biscuits. He usually buys the rice blend spaghetti . I have found that adding baking soda and salt even when not suggested, helps.

These flours do make good berry coolers. We can't tell the difference.

The baking mixes are pretty good, but really expensive comparatively.

I'm seeing more and more shortages here in New Zealand. Builders and Handyman businesses are having a hard time getting supplies. Tech shortages. More gaps in supermarkets. Trying to get the kids summer clothes sorted but there's bugger all available. Apparently stock in general isn't making it to the shelves a lot of the time because it's been backorderd or purchased online and goes straight to the lucky customer.

The local supermarket is putting quantity restrictions on essential items; one pack of toilet paper, 2 loaves of bread, etc. People just go in multiple times getting the maximum they're allowed, so it's not stopping people hoarding/prepping/getting enough.

I've heard to be prepared for 2-5 years of supply issues as global supply chains are reestablished. The government has said shortages are going to get worse in the lead up to Christmas.

Latest posts

Back