Shortages Are Going To Get Worse Later This Year

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a large grocery store in another state last week and overheard 2 employees talking about how to "face" the shelves to make it look like they had more products than they actually had. Does that constitute a shortage? Maybe not a severe shortage, but it sure sounds like they didn't have enough products to fill the shelves.
"Facing" the shelves was first day training when I worked at Walmart nearly 30 years ago. Doesn't mean shortages aren't real though.

Went to bulk food supply stores to replenish my preps early this morning. Lots missing from the shelves. snagged the last few gallons of vegetable oil, and a 6 gal box of white vinegar.
Then went to tractor supply, whole sections of shelves with stuff gone, same with Cascade Ranch.

Went to bulk food supply stores to replenish my preps early this morning. Lots missing from the shelves. snagged the last few gallons of vegetable oil, and a 6 gal box of white vinegar.
Then went to tractor supply, whole sections of shelves with stuff gone, same with Cascade Ranch.
I've noticed that even when the shelves are full, if you look up there is a lot of empty space in the storage shelves above. Costco usually keeps lots of products stored on the high shelves above the reach of the what the customers can grab. Lately, the low shelves have been stocked but the high shelves are empty. Just my personal observation at our local Costco in Atlanta, GA. :)

I've noticed that even when the shelves are full, if you look up there is a lot of empty space in the storage shelves above. Costco usually keeps lots of products stored on the high shelves above the reach of the what the customers can grab. Lately, the low shelves have been stocked but the high shelves are empty. Just my personal observation at our local Costco in Atlanta, GA. :)
I noticed that too - the boxes are almost gone. I am guessing in the next 2 weeks - it's going to get really interesting!

I got the oil changed at a Walmart today. The shop I regularly use was booked for two hours so I tried Walmart and they took my van right in. I walked around the store killing the 30mins I had and really didn’t see any shortages today. Surprising since it was early Monday morning and usually the place gets hit hard over the weekends, taking a couple days to restock. Now as far as the chance that people aren’t buying as much due to the prices being so high? That’s a real possibility! They say inflation isn’t that bad. Maybe it’s not across the whole economy but with food specifically I have seen a tremendous increase in the last couple years. I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford food, but for all the people living on a low budget it means much more to them. I don’t think the problem is going to ease or go away either. All I know for sure is when people get hungry things like crime and civil conflict tends to get worse. I’m glad I’ve been a prepper for most of my life and am mostly prepared right now.

Got a great deal last week when I went to the Habitat store and saw a pile of 3/4" plywood. When I asked the woman who runs the store how much she wanted for it, she asked ME how much I was willing to pay. I suggested $10/sheet and she went for it, mainly because rain was forecast and they didn't have room in the dry. Bought all twenty sheets.

Was surprised when doing my fall oil and filter changes that Walmart didn't have any Rotella T6 or filters for my bikes, and no 10W40 or filters for my trucks. Luckily, I had plenty of everything in my stock, but it was strange that their shelves were pretty much empty. I don't usually take anything out of my stock unless I can replace at the same time. This is the first time in years that I popped anything out of the front of the queue without pushing anything into the back.
One thing's for sure, shortage translates to higher prices. Can't see supplies being totally shut down as long as the sellers can set the prices as high as they like.
Luckily, food supplies at the wholesale grocery I buy from seem to be fine. Plenty of rice, beans, and eggs at a good price, and what doesn't anyone really need other than that?

Was surprised when doing my fall oil and filter changes that Walmart didn't have any Rotella T6 or filters for my bikes, and no 10W40 or filters for my trucks. Luckily, I had plenty of everything in my stock, but it was strange that their shelves were pretty much empty. I don't usually take anything out of my stock unless I can replace at the same time. This is the first time in years that I popped anything out of the front of the queue without pushing anything into the back.
One thing's for sure, shortage translates to higher prices. Can't see supplies being totally shut down as long as the sellers can set the prices as high as they like.
Luckily, food supplies at the wholesale grocery I buy from seem to be fine. Plenty of rice, beans, and eggs at a good price, and what doesn't anyone really need other than that?
Shortages are here. We just have to figure deeper what we are going to need to survive. More nuts bolts screws? Probably. Pipe fitiings, extra lengths of pipe. Think deep for your situation. And then times 2.

I have no doubt. . . We in America have a shipping issue right now. Hundreds of cargo ships are just sitting around our country waiting to be off loaded. The majority in CA and NY, imagine that. . . Think maybe our inport goods should just off load in other states. I do not know what the terms are for the vendors or ships are, but would think it would be much cheaper to off load in anther port, instead of just drifting off shore waiting to get off loaded. I know TX has a few ports. And our state is completely open! Covid cases are going DOWN!! Imagine that!!!!

I have no doubt. . . We in America have a shipping issue right now. Hundreds of cargo ships are just sitting around our country waiting to be off loaded. The majority in CA and NY, imagine that. . . Think maybe our inport goods should just off load in other states. I do not know what the terms are for the vendors or ships are, but would think it would be much cheaper to off load in anther port, instead of just drifting off shore waiting to get off loaded. I know TX has a few ports. And our state is completely open! Covid cases are going DOWN!! Imagine that!!!!
I think it has more to do with a shortage of dock workers and truck drivers. Plus there isn't that many ports that can handle the size of these container ships, or this much volume. The shortage is nation wide. Maybe we shouldn't depend so much on China and other countries for our stuff.

I think it has more to do with a shortage of dock workers and truck drivers. Plus there isn't that many ports that can handle the size of these container ships, or this much volume. The shortage is nation wide. Maybe we shouldn't depend so much on China and other countries for our stuff.
I totally agree that we shouldn't be relying on foreign goods and I would rather goods be made here in the USA. There are other options other than just CA and NY to off load though. I know that it is a longer trip but Texas does have the capabilities with the Gulf which would bring more jobs to our totally open state. I know of Galveston, Houston and Beaumont ports that could handle cargo ships. There maybe ports that I dont know about further south.

I totally agree that we shouldn't be relying on foreign goods and I would rather goods be made here in the USA. There are other options other than just CA and NY to off load though. I know that it is a longer trip but Texas does have the capabilities with the Gulf which would bring more jobs to our totally open state. I know of Galveston, Houston and Beaumont ports that could handle cargo ships. There maybe ports that I dont know about further south.
Both CA and NY are known for their lockdowns and pay their citizens to stay home instead of actually working. I will say that we are open, but many companies are still looking for workers. I do not understand at this point why that is. I would think that any working body would just WANT to work as much as possible right now. I know that is how I feel.

Latest posts

Back