short term power outages..

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
robin arcticdude and my self got to chatting about power outages,power converters and generators in the shout box....so i figured id start this topic.and i hope that,it's in the right location..

i had a look at some power converters at lowes and home depot today.in which,in which i plan on getting one at home depot.

i already have one power converter for my jump starter.which is idea for portable radios,battery chargers,and other small electric items.the 3 pics below,is the jump starter 3ft extension cord and power converter..in which i already carry in the car every day..and 4th pic is similar to the one i looked at today..and it's primary use will be for the fridge and freezer..but yet,it'll be used on camping trips as well..
05ba48d20c6840784a77134f4e79de2f.jpg bea4d73c54eefe3beb019f10c23c3bc0.jpg 52327670457d7f05d5be98f6af5d2489.jpg cbb61ff4-e601-4744-8fee-5fd25794b2bb_400.jpg

I've been looking online and a few of these aren't UL tested and rated. I thought that was a given for electrical products

I just realized I have a small one I bought to run a water pic when my daughter had braces. Not sure of wattage. I remember paying about $25 or so. There is a Consumer Reports article I'm reading . I don't know how to link it. It details all their testing. This article is actually free.

i guess this is it..
Looking for some low-cost power backup? Even without a once-in-a-century event like Superstorm Sandy, every major storm results in blackouts and, for many of us, fresh memories of spoiled food, a flooded basement, no heat or air conditioning and (if you have well water) no water for bathing or household chores.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-power-inverter-replace-a-generator/index.htm

I'd like to put a couple car alternators on wheels at the creek, they would charge batteries, then the inverter would give ac power from them. My problem is carrying the batteries, as it's a little far to run wires up to the house for d/c power to travel

I'd like to put a couple car alternators on wheels at the creek, they would charge batteries, then the inverter would give ac power from them. My problem is carrying the batteries, as it's a little far to run wires up to the house for d/c power to travel

maybe put it all on a hand cart or hand pulled wagon.this way,all you to do once it's loaded up.is pull it to the water,charge it up.then pull it back..maybe even do it up right,where it remains loaded up for less hassle..

My brother has a 750 watt and advised me against buying an inverter. He said he has to start his truck every 10 minutes just to run drills, etc. He advised me to get the Harbor Freight $119 generator. Said it would do all I need. Back to research for me. :)

Latest posts

Back