Shippers Frantic After China's Busiest Port Shuts Container Terminal Due To Covid

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If China can't ship their crap over here, what's the problem? Maybe now we can get weaned off their cheaply made junk.

One would think by this time companies here in the US would start to say, "Hey, we might want to bring back production of stuff here to mitigate these disruptions"
Nope. The construction of a plant here in the US, tooling, and especially labor costs, better to hope for the best and do nothing.

One would think by this time companies here in the US would start to say, "Hey, we might want to bring back production of stuff here to mitigate these disruptions"
Nope. The construction of a plant here in the US, tooling, and especially labor costs, better to hope for the best and do nothing.
That is a typical response. Fortunately most products are still made in the US. Maybe not electronic stuff, but just about everything that I need is still made in USA. Costs a little, quality does, and it takes some searching but USA products are out there.

That is a typical response. Fortunately most products are still made in the US. Maybe not electronic stuff, but just about everything that I need is still made in USA. Costs a little, quality does, and it takes some searching but USA products are out there.

The other thing I see a lot are, Made In The USA, using globally sourced parts.
My Craftsman tool chest has that on the side.

Yrah, I've noticed that a lot too. I guess its still assembled in the US using (mostly) American workers. Better than nothing I suppose. I'd rather keep an American working than a Chinese communist slave.

I just took a flight to Chicago. Out of pure boredom I read the emergency procedure sheet in the seat pouch. Printed bold as day it says ā€œThis aircraft was assembled in the US from foreign made parts.ā€ That did not give me a lot of confidence in the aircraft quality, since Mr. Short Wang in China was responsible for manufacturing critical engine and airframe parts.

China is at the spearhead of this great new world, they have gained immeasurably under the lockdowns, their people are oppressed more than ever. If they locked a port I doubt it has anything to do with covid, more likely they are using that to cover the fact that they are not exporting as much crap as before. You would have to look a lot deeper than the simple explanation "Spin" in a media story to know what's really going on.

Personally I couldn't give a toss, this stuff is just background noise.

The new line of Craftsman tools are made in China. However when I bought my Craftsman tools I got them from Sears and they say Made in the USA. I'll dig through bins at pawnshop looking for American made tools.

I'm in the process of building a boat and I'm starting to buy the tools I need for this project. I need another cordless drill, clamps and a power plane. The last cordless drill I bought was a Dewalt and it was made in the USA. We'll see if they still are.
I donā€™t think any of the brands are anymore. At the minimum the parts are sourced globally.

Iā€™ve been a dewalt fan for years but the Milwaukee tools are more ergonomic and comfortable. Both do the job though.

There are some DeWalt power tools still made in the US, I'm not sure now many. Some Bosch power tools are made in Germany and Switzerland.
I read that one model Bosch angle grinder is made in Germany, but mine is made in China.
If you want to roll the dice, you can buy used American made power tools at most any pawn shop for a pretty good price. They might just outlast anything new. Caveat Emptor!

Latest posts

Back