Shelters

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlygoth

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place

So i have been too busy repacking my bug out bag and going out to buy other things that i hadn't thought of (thanks to all on the site for your insightful posts) to add to my kit, to post my full plan for C&C but my plan B if i miss meeting up with 2 fellow preppers i know, is to head to a nearby forest to hide out i have around 2 weeks food in my bug out bag, and being raised in the country i know a few things about living off the land, anywho my question is about shelter, I've got a light weight tent and two tarps in my kit which would be liveable in for a while but I'm thinking if I'm forced to be in the woods for years how would one (as i have seen several other members plan to head to woods and forests) go about building a more permanent home, i was thinking about something underground which would be harder for other people to find, have had a look on youtube but couldn't find much anyone on here got any ideas/ links?

Many thanks dom.

cheers colt, thats the sort of thing was looking for, has led me to some gd vids on youtube, not sure if should post though?

I think If i built something like that i would put a tarp over the roof then leafs an debri on top of that.

Yea it def isn't conspicuous lol really needs some camo tlc, but other than that, it could work!

oh yeah,, those work good around my area, plus the tarp idea is useful of collecting rainwater...

Even if you go that route, youll need a temp shelter while you do mass amount of digging and cutting through a shitload of fat roots, burning calories like a mofo. I wouldnt suggest it untill you have your food/water supply in order.
Another thing, i wouldnt build shelter so close to the water. Many people will know, and/or come to realize that people need water desperatly and will build along rivers/streams/lakes/etc. Enter the pillagers who will simply walk up river looking for someone whos shit they could steal.

Personally, my temp shelter will be a tee-pee.
You can tie 3 long branches together, use your belt if you dont have rope, or ask and i could teach ya other methods for rope/string. Then start putting other branches against it fillen the holes. Then, if you can find it, use moss to cover it all. The moss will act as an insulator. But if theres no moss, rip bark from trees and strap it to the tee-pee, itll at least keep the rain out.

Even if you go that route, youll need a temp shelter while you do mass amount of digging and cutting through a shitload of fat roots, burning calories like a mofo. I wouldnt suggest it untill you have your food/water supply in order.
Another thing, i wouldnt build shelter so close to the water. Many people will know, and/or come to realize that people need water desperatly and will build along rivers/streams/lakes/etc. Enter the pillagers who will simply walk up river looking for someone whos shit they could steal.

Personally, my temp shelter will be a tee-pee.
You can tie 3 long branches together, use your belt if you dont have rope, or ask and i could teach ya other methods for rope/string. Then start putting other branches against it fillen the holes. Then, if you can find it, use moss to cover it all. The moss will act as an insulator. But if theres no moss, rip bark from trees and strap it to the tee-pee, itll at least keep the rain out.

Ya Krime, for temp i wouldn't put in the effort, but if i was going to stay few months i think I would go for something like that.

Well this was only intended for uber worst case world end situations lol, gots a temp shelter covered in me bug out bag,

though gd point on building close to water hadnt thought about that one cheers krime

and use your belt,!! thats a scary thought, forgetting to pack para cord and having to run around the woods pullin your trousers up constantly lol,

and moss bark thats again something i didnt no would work, thanks for the tip

Well this was only intended for uber worst case world end situations lol, gots a temp shelter covered in me bug out bag,

though gd point on building close to water hadnt thought about that one cheers krime

and use your belt,!! thats a scary thought, forgetting to pack para cord and having to run around the woods pullin your trousers up constantly lol,

and moss bark thats again something i didnt no would work, thanks for the tip
If i dont have a belt i use whats called a prison tie:
You can take just about anything, plasic bag handle, piece of cloth etc and tie your 2 front belt loops on your pants together.

Remember too, sweat pants come with string at the waist.

Ive thought about under ground bunker/shelter like this, but id go more of a tunnel like the enemy did in Vietnam.
Personally, i was thinken about builden an ol'school log cabin, but i wouldnt do any type of permanite shelter till shit settles down a bit.
If i was to build any underground shelter, id definitly build a back door escape route too. preferably one away from my actual shelter.

ok again u have put me to shame Krime, with the substitute belt :p, i did think about the log cabin idea but figured an underground home, would be safer when desperate peeps come stumbling into my hidey area, a nice above ground cabin is visable for a gd distance, where as something underground is easyer to hide. (anyone else wanna jump in here feel free) and i agree would defo dig an escape tunnel from any underground home i might build, though as i said twice this idea was only for long term hiding

ok again u have put me to shame Krime, with the substitute belt :p, i did think about the log cabin idea but figured an underground home, would be safer when desperate peeps come stumbling into my hidey area, a nice above ground cabin is visable for a gd distance, where as something underground is easyer to hide. (anyone else wanna jump in here feel free) and i agree would defo dig an escape tunnel from any underground home i might build, though as i said twice this idea was only for long term hiding
I am in !! underground or part of, is what i would go with. easy to hide or i should say less visible and out of the wind. I would go high ground butted on a cliff with a rappelled escape route . This is just if an only if, things got so bad i had to bug out of my house.

One might also want to check their locations too.
Underground may not be a good idea in earthquake country.

I am in !! underground or part of, is what i would go with. easy to hide or i should say less visible and out of the wind. I would go high ground butted on a cliff with a rappelled escape route . This is just if an only if things got so bad i had to bug out of my house.
cheers colt, lucky in the uk we dont have to worry about earthquakes so this idea for a long term shelter was what was lookin for

I this shelter is interesting, yet I find myself wondering if like he said, the height is 4-5 feet, and the winter gets to 30 below, he will work himself to death, just keeping wood on the fire. I mean he cant really add much at a time can he. if the ceiling is all wood, and then what we dont see in that video, is the smaller branches ("chinking") the gaps, then leaves, then the dirt. I find it amusing that from the inside, all you see 4 feet from the ground would all be kiniling, burn a fire overnight, and that area would be bone dry, a larger piese of wood that has been burning better on one side fall over( i would hope, we have all seen this happen in real life before) and we all know the sparks go up. I will pass on the half earth in the way that he shows it being done. alot of work, just to have it burn down on me while I am sleeping. 4-5 feet is not enough room to have a fire under.

I this shelter is interesting, yet I find myself wondering if like he said, the height is 4-5 feet, and the winter gets to 30 below, he will work himself to death, just keeping wood on the fire. I mean he cant really add much at a time can he. if the ceiling is all wood, and then what we dont see in that video, is the smaller branches ("chinking") the gaps, then leaves, then the dirt. I find it amusing that from the inside, all you see 4 feet from the ground would all be kiniling, burn a fire overnight, and that area would be bone dry, a larger piese of wood that has been burning better on one side fall over( i would hope, we have all seen this happen in real life before) and we all know the sparks go up. I will pass on the half earth in the way that he shows it being done. alot of work, just to have it burn down on me while I am sleeping. 4-5 feet is not enough room to have a fire under.
HA!
I was coming here to say the same thing!

Latest posts

Back