Shelters

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh god i've heard it all. that shelter was just a rough idea, it wasn't a set of blue prints.

Oh god i've heard it all. that shelter was just a rough idea, it wasn't a set of blue prints.

well Though I agree with you on the concept, ANYONE who doesnt already know how to build a shelter, is more knowledge challenged
now for having watched that clip, because they will believed that they know what they are doing. Dont wory about that billybob, that video said 4 or 5 feet, so 4'2 is fine, stop diggin and get me that other log. If someone dont know how to build a shelter, then there is a high likelyhood, that they wont understand the dangers of fire inside that shelter as well.

The concept of digging in is a good one, the logs, and all great, but the video that that guy watched, before he went out and started filming himself must have been tainted by someone else, and yet it keeps getting passed on. My only intention was to bring the fire issue to light, so people would either dig it in deeper, or use more logs in the pig-pen pattern to get the height of ceiling up higher. even with 6" logs every 4 gives you a foot of head room.

well Though I agree with you on the concept, ANYONE who doesnt already know how to build a shelter, is more knowledge challenged
now for having watched that clip, because they will believed that they know what they are doing. Dont wory about that billybob, that video said 4 or 5 feet, so 4'2 is fine, stop diggin and get me that other log. If someone dont know how to build a shelter, then there is a high likelyhood, that they wont understand the dangers of fire inside that shelter as well.

The concept of digging in is a good one, the logs, and all great, but the video that that guy watched, before he went out and started filming himself must have been tainted by someone else, and yet it keeps getting passed on. My only intention was to bring the fire issue to light, so people would either dig it in deeper, or use more logs in the pig-pen pattern to get the height of ceiling up higher. even with 6" logs every 4 gives you a foot of head room.
Ya I agree with you on that Hades. the height is a issue with a fire.

I this shelter is interesting, yet I find myself wondering if like he said, the height is 4-5 feet, and the winter gets to 30 below, he will work himself to death, just keeping wood on the fire. I mean he cant really add much at a time can he. if the ceiling is all wood, and then what we dont see in that video, is the smaller branches ("chinking") the gaps, then leaves, then the dirt. I find it amusing that from the inside, all you see 4 feet from the ground would all be kiniling, burn a fire overnight, and that area would be bone dry, a larger piese of wood that has been burning better on one side fall over( i would hope, we have all seen this happen in real life before) and we all know the sparks go up. I will pass on the half earth in the way that he shows it being done. alot of work, just to have it burn down on me while I am sleeping. 4-5 feet is not enough room to have a fire under.

the height wasnt something a had thought about in relation to the fire so to be safe dig it what 6/7 feet deep?
i started this thread for just this reason as had no real idea how to build a decent shelter, glad this convo is developing

What i would do, is leave somewhat of a roof part open. Not only do you have to worry about catchen your shit on fite, but you have to worry about smoke inhalation as well.
With fire, you can always dig a somewhat fire place into a side bank and line it with river rock, that way, the fire wont burn you down, you wont die of smoke inhalation, and youll still keep warm.
Watch your fites though, smoke can be seen for miles, giving away your location.

the height wasnt something a had thought about in relation to the fire so to be safe dig it what 6/7 feet deep?
i started this thread for just this reason as had no real idea how to build a decent shelter, glad this convo is developing

like we have been talking about the height is the only issue, the idea is sound, just the details.
this type of shelter is very labor intensive, but is the best one for the area he was talking about. 6 feet of snow, 30 below zero.
but like many things, area specific, would it be the right 1 for you.
I dont have as much time as it will take now, but if its shelters you want to know about, we can gladly help you out.

I hate to change the subject, but I feel i need to for a moment. Before we begin with shelters we first need to establish that there are many kinds of shelters, made with many different materials, the situation will dictate what what kind you need to make dependent on many factors including where you are, what materials you have, how many in group, season, how long you plan to be there, among others. A shelter is an immediate need, its placement can even be above that of water. in a food, water, shelter cluster. One must start at the begginning of every emergency, what that emergency is specifically is partially irrelevent to survival. if it is a car wreck on a long and abandoned road, to a emergency bug out from any area for any reason, the fact remains that you are now in the middle of an emergency, you must NOW pull yourself together and survive.

S size up any situation WTF happened, ok, ok, pull myself together, survival is an instinct, use it.
U use your sences undue haste makes waste, STOP, what do you hear, what do you see, and smell
R remember where you are, where are you in relation to civilization, where were you going, where are people, go to them, or away, where is water, etc.
V vanquish fear and panic IT WILL NOT HELP IN SURVIVAL
I improvise, everything can be used for more than it 1st apears
V value living this is the motivation to try and save it.
A act like the natives, they survived for centuries on very little
L live by your wits, knowledge keeps people alive, learn basic skills, and then improve on them as much as possible.

Your 1st shelter needs to take little time and little effort, if you are not where you are staying, it will be left now wont it.
so before we start on more perminant dug ins like the one in the video, we should start with these. I think we should discuss the ones that require absolutly nothing man made, this will be worse case senerio, anything manmade you can repurpose and use after this would be a plus, but not nessisary.
I need to go to work soon, so I will just leave it at this for now, now that the tempo of this thread has been established, I am sure that many will be able to help with thier thoughts on crude, immediate, temp shelter styles, and we can discuss all of them, before we move on to intermediate shelters.
By the time we are done here, everyone will have the basic concept of what a shelter structurally is, and could improvise if the need arose.
When I get on tonight I will add some of the styles that we have used, but i need to get to work very soon. I fully expect to find many posts on this thread before I get back.

Ill start i guess.

If im not to where i could make a tee-pee, ill use my mylar blankets.
I know the subject has turned to non man maxe, but thats why we prep.
Atm i only have 4, bit i plan to get a crapload more.
Ill use one to eother make a pup tent, or even a half pup, where its propped to one side, then use one of my other ones as a blanket.
Ive got more but ill let others have a turn too lmao.

This is my shelter !

Picturekevinpicture212.jpg

Picturekevinpicture213.jpg

Im trying to figure weight out if i could hike a tent + my bob. Itll be easier with that Alice pack cuz of the frame, but my pack atm weighs about 60+lbs if not more, and im far from done, + i have to figure in im probably gonna be carring 1 or more of my kids........ *sigh* im thankful im a big guy lol

Im trying to figure weight out if i could hike a tent + my bob. Itll be easier with that Alice pack cuz of the frame, but my pack atm weighs about 60+lbs if not more, and im far from done, + i have to figure in im probably gonna be carring 1 or more of my kids........ *sigh* im thankful im a big guy lol
Shelter first my friend, especially with kids. It gives a sense of security which will be much needed. A 3 season should do you fine. If you like i can look around a bit an send you some options.

Nope, with me, finding a water source and setting traps for food will come first. We could sleep on the ground and live, but not w/o water or food. Besides, id hate to set up shelter right away just to find out i/we need to haul ### outta there and leave my tent behind. Then i/wed have no food/water/and wed lose the tent/shelter too.
Right off the bat itll probably take me time to really trust the spot i pick, wondering who/what may be coming or around the corner.

Do
Nope, with me, finding a water source and setting traps for food will come first. We could sleep on the ground and live, but not w/o water or food. Besides, id hate to set up shelter right away just to find out i/we need to haul ### outta there and leave my tent behind. Then i/wed have no food/water/and wed lose the tent/shelter too.
Right off the bat itll probably take me time to really trust the spot i pick, wondering who/what may be coming or around the corner.
Don't you have food in a B.O.B for like a week at least ? Your locations should have water right ? I am going 30 day minimal. To each his own, thats what makes the world go around.

Do
Don't you have food an water in a B.O.B for like a week at least ? I am going 30 day minimal. To each his own, thats what makes the world go around.
well that would depend on everyones knowledge, and thier familiarity to natural environment.
30 day min food and water, is going to be a very large b.o.b.

Latest posts

Back