Must Read Sheet Mulching - How to sheet mulch

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We try to avoid chemicals as well Brent. I like the idea of cardboard...
Even with cardboard and printed papers I've wondered what kinds of chemicals could be in them. Ever drive by a paper mill and wonder why they stink so much? I don't know what chemicals they use but they are potent!

Even with cardboard and printed papers I've wondered what kinds of chemicals could be in them. Ever drive by a paper mill and wonder why they stink so much? I don't know what chemicals they use but they are potent!
I'm not being too paranoid, just thinking out loud. I do use some chemicals, just very sparingly, and I try to keep it light like seven dust diluted more than recommended.

Not much goes in to making cardboard. They use sodium hydroxide and other sulfates to break down the pulp, which gives pulp mills their unique aroma, and corn starch for the glue. I don't think there's anything in cardboard that will harm a garden.

I had reservations on using the cardboard also...and paper...and a few other questionable things in my mind! Studying the composting process, I decided the risk was a lot smaller than what the reward may be. I have local tree guys who deliver mulch for free...that also comes with risk...a helper got down pretty bad from inhaling poison ivy that had been mulched with the trees! I so far do not react to poison ivy, oak or sumac. But the helper did...in the throat, in the eyes and the sinus cavities! Risky...yes...but I still have them deliver mulch...not knowing if these trees have been sprayed...not knowing if they are diseased...really only knowing they are brought down locally. This is my third year using mulch sheeting...the pay off to this has been astounding! Now, my whole front yard is mulched...all my ornamental plants are being replaced with fruit trees and perennials. My watering has been cut better than half! Even my raised beds are being phased out at this point! And, I have 5 raised beds.

There is a Vimeo movie online..."Back to Eden"...it is free and well worth watching about growing your soil and using mulch! There is a youtube channel by L2SURVIVE...hours extra free video on this farm! The owner of this farm says he can leave for a year...come back and his place was better than when he left! That is my goal!

Not much goes in to making cardboard. They use sodium hydroxide and other sulfates to break down the pulp, which gives pulp mills their unique aroma, and corn starch for the glue. I don't think there's anything in cardboard that will harm a garden.
I just read some about cardboard from three different places. Yes there are some chemicals, but it looks like the risk is pretty low. The one good thing I did get out of it was to not go too thick with it. You want it to break down. If you do a three inch thick layer the innermost layers can still be intact after five years, thus blocking out moisture, nutrients, oxy. Etc. I guess the old saying applies, everything in moderation. Surprisingly, the most (possibly) toxic paper/cardboard is in food containers and wrappers. We really are stupid animals.

One thing I see everyone around here do is burn their leaves. They make one of the best soil additives around, with a couple bonuses. First they are free! Second, you want to pick them up off your lawn anyways, so why not put them in your garden. I mulch then up into finer particles so they break down even faster.

One thing I see everyone around here do is burn their leaves. They make one of the best soil additives around, with a couple bonuses. First they are free! Second, you want to pick them up off your lawn anyways, so why not put them in your garden. I mulch then up into finer particles so they break down even faster.
Except for a couple Aspen groves we don't have many leaves around here, mostly pine needles. This spring I'll pick up a load of straw and a load of cow manure and start mixing it for the garden. My wife decided that "we" want to move the garden closer to the house. It makes sense I guess, it will be more convenient. There's much better soil here too. I'll have about 100 posts to pull up plus some fruit trees, berry and grape plants to transfer.

Except for a couple Aspen groves we don't have many leaves around here, mostly pine needles. This spring I'll pick up a load of straw and a load of cow manure and start mixing it for the garden. My wife decided that "we" want to move the garden closer to the house. It makes sense I guess, it will be more convenient. There's much better soil here too. I'll have about 100 posts to pull up plus some fruit trees, berry and grape plants to transfer.
I have several fruit trees that I wish I could transplant. I underestimated how big they get and over planted an area. I'm about to take a chainsaw and thin out 8 of them. I hate to, but they are too big to try to move now, and it will be better for the remaining ones. I will plant some new replacements for them elsewhere though. Still sucks as it takes a few years for them to start producing well. I've been working on improving the soil in the garden for a while now, so it is staying put. There's no way I want to start from scratch again. It's on a hill, which isn't ideal for tilling, but I've made the space work.

I did read that pine straw and manure was considered the best mulch around. Full of nutrients and breaks down easily.

I did read that pine straw and manure was considered the best mulch around. Full of nutrients and breaks down easily.
I'll have to give that a try. Our house is going to be located in a big stand of pine and Douglas fir trees. We'll have plenty of pine needles to rake up from the yard.

I'll have to give that a try. Our house is going to be located in a big stand of pine and Douglas fir trees. We'll have plenty of pine needles to rake up from the yard.
Sorry, had a brain dead moment there. I meant to say hay, or wheat straw and manure, not pine straw. I believe pine needles are acidic and take a long time to break down. Sorry as it seems to be an abundant resource for you.

Sorry, had a brain dead moment there. I meant to say hay, or wheat straw and manure, not pine straw. I believe pine needles are acidic and take a long time to break down. Sorry as it seems to be an abundant resource for you.
I think your right. That's why not much grows under a pine tree.

Latest posts

Back