Must Read Sharping a katana

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its in my BOB, but I will dig it out to send you a pic, when I sold the Jian in Stuttgart at a weapons expo, I bought the Bowie as a replacement. It is numbered Nr. 771 from only 1999 limited editions produced. Didn't get any BS from the wife after I showed it to her and gave her the rest of the cash from the Jian. ($1400,00) GP

Last edited:
Boker.JPG
IMG_771.JPG

Just looked in Amazon...in great big bold letters at the top of the page; ""will not ship to Germany"" (do you think they've heard of me??)
Looks like a tough blade, saw something like it in the weapons shows here tho. Anyknife over 12 cm blade length cannot be carried anymore here. And anything which can be opened with one hand no matter how short or long the blade is...my 9 cm Otter in a sheath is ok, but my 3 cm folder is not, 'cause it is a one-hand...German intelligence. It is forbidden to carry a sheath knife in the car if it is over 12 cm blade length, but it is ok to carry my crossbow with razor-tip arrows...DUUUUUUHHH...GP

When I open the house door, I can reach this just around the corner, open with the left hand and reach with the right one. The sheath is taped down and can't move. The blade is slightly pulled and comes out instantly...GP
SOG 2.JPG

I have quite a collection of knives . . . some are rather expensive, others are cheap.

This may seem heretical, but one of my favorite sheath knives is my Aqualung brand dive knive.

It has a six inch Bowie-style blade, a chemically resistant, textured plastic grip, and is semi-serrated.

I work and play in Florida, which is tropical, has high humidity, salt air, and so forth. This dive knife is resistant to conditions that rust other blades (I admit that this is probably more from neglect), is resistant to chemicals (like antifreeze, gasoline, solvents, and similar substances) that might be encountered post SHTF, and I can--obviously--use it in water if I'm harvesting edible plants (such as taro, or cattails).

I've used it in the horse barn, kayaking, hiking, fixing my car, and so on.

It may not keep as fine an edge as a lot of other knives and require occasional sharpening, but its other benefits are outstanding.

Not bad for a blade that sells for $20 to $30 used, on ebay.

I got mine over 22 years ago, and it's still going strong.

(By the way, the image below is from the Internet. I have problems with my phone camera when it comes to posting images)

s-l400 (1).jpg

Kevin, corrosion resistant stainless steels have come a long way in the last few years. You no longer have to suffer from poor edge holding ability in order to have a saltwater proof knife.
One of the new nitrogen steels is called "Nitro V".
https://knifeup.com/how-good-is-nitro-v-stainless-steel/

Kevin, corrosion resistant stainless steels have come a long way in the last few years. You no longer have to suffer from poor edge holding ability in order to have a saltwater proof knife.
One of the new nitrogen steels is called "Nitro V".
https://knifeup.com/how-good-is-nitro-v-stainless-steel/
Thank you very much. I'll certainly check later, and figure out a strategy for sneaking the new knife into my collection without letting the girlfriend know....

Was it a Chinese Jian?! Those are sweet! And one in Damascus?! I’m a little mad at your wife now. Lol.
Sorry Ronin, my mistake. It was not a Jian. It was a Jiulong design. It was also not an Ming or something old either. There are many companies in China making/re-making swords of these types and selling them on the internet. Mine was from 2004 or'05. Sold it in 2006. Found a pic also almost just like it, only without the brass rings in the blade and the scabbard was not so ornamate. GP
jiulong_sword_7_1024x1024.jpg

On corrosion resistance...

There historically has been a trade off between several factors in knife steels - Toughness, Edge holding ability, Ease of sharpening, and Corrosion resistance.

First you have to understand that high carbon stainless steel is a composite material and is not homogeneous. It is very much like concrete, where you have hard gravel held in a matrix of softer cement. It is the gravel that makes the concrete wear resistant, but the cement that gives it tensile strength. If you put too much gravel and not enough cement, then it is too brittle and will easily crumble. If you put too much cement and not enough gravel, then it wears away too quickly.

Carbon steel is close to homogeneous with very fine carbides, but when you add carbon for hardness and chromium for corrosion resistance, very hard chromium carbide particles form (gravel in the concrete) decreasing the toughness, and making it difficult to sharpen, but increasing the wear resistance and edge retention. More chromium means more corrosion resistance, but less edge retention. More carbon means better edge retention but less corrosion resistance (because the formation of chromium carbides take chromium out of the steel matrix.

Steels with large carbide particles (such as D2) can give good edge retention but have decreased toughness and are very hard to sharpen. And because so much of the carbon is tied up in the large chromium carbide particles in D2, there is not enough chromium left in the steel matrix to provide much corrosion resistance.

Steels like AEB-L have an expertly designed balance of just enough carbon and just enough chromium so that small carbides form to give excellent toughness, and a balance of edge retention, and corrosion resistance, but it is not as durable an edge as higher carbide steels, and not as corrosion resistant as higher chromium steels.

But if you start with AEB-L and then add nitrogen and vanadium, it improves the edge retention, hardness and corrosion resistance while keeping the small carbides. That steel is called Nitro-V. It still does not have the edge retention of something like D2, but it is much easier to sharpen and holds an edge much much better than the old high chromium stainless steels used for dive knives.

Micrographs of D2 and Nitro-V. The light areas are chromium carbide particles
D2:
1000X-D2.jpg

Nitro-V
1000X-NITRO-V.jpg

Last edited:
Before we even go there I need to know make and model of katana. 99% of unsharpened katana are 440 wall hanger mall katana. If that’s the case I say post it to amazon for 10 bucks and get a good machete. So pics or make and model of katana please? Also Garps instructional wasn’t too bad for someone with the proper gear and know how. So if you have those then go for it. However judging by the way Samurai was spelled I’m assuming you are totally new to this. I’m here to help.
Thanks for the advice and you'll be happy to know I have given up on the idea as I believe it is a wall hanger am looking for a good fighting knife such as a K-bar

If you’d like a good fighting knife I’d could recommend some great ones for an amazing price.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Tanto-Secure-Sheath/dp/B00QMSU1UI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=12XNMST07NT8W&dchild=1&keywords=gi+tanto+cold+steel&psc=1&qid=1572149442&sprefix=Gi+tanto,aps,244&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-L...ntaine+cold+steel&psc=1&qid=1572149514&sr=8-1

With a little imagination and some elbow grease you can turn these knives into things of great beauty.

Thanks for the recommendation I will definitely take a look

So this is some of the custom work I’ve done with the two knives I posted earlier
Here is my 1991 built tomahawk. The silver blade is 12% chrome, 2.14% carbon and 6.2 mm thick. The black is from a hedge trimming/pruning scissors. The handle is solid 5 mm aluminum. All is a take-down and packable. Weighs in a 2.2 lbs. Getca coming and going, like the clip cut of a bowie knife...
down.JPG
half.JPG
full.JPG

Last edited:
I feel so outclassed.

I'm not neccesarily a knife maker, but I did hire a few ex-cons who did hard time to teach me how to make (and use) a prison shank.

I feel that a shank can be almost as deadly and useful as a "real" knife (my paramedic experience with the prison system supports this), and they can be made from materials that are cheap, or even free.

One of the more interesting shanks can be made by sharpening a bone from a chicken or turkey leg.

If it's ground down and shaped in the right way, it will go through a leather motorcycle jacket.

1488474437498-shanks.jpeg

Last edited:
I feel so outclassed. I'm not neccesarily a knife maker,
The rest of the world will put you down enough if it gets a chance, don't do that to yourself bro. I've got more respect from a shiv (shank) in the hands of a prisoner with nothing to lose, doin' a life term, than I would have for many other people with a bowie or a 9mm that have not the experience to use it. Saw someone roll a 1 dollar bill up into a shiv, woulda killed a person if you were to hit them in the right place. These are the things that make you go "aaahhhh" and create something of your own, Live free, GP

Latest posts

Back