Share a knife a day till you run out of knives...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1651514810252.jpeg

My most favourite spatula. Once the tip chipped of so I had to grind a little new recurve onto the blades back. But, it works fine!

Attachments

• 1651514776986.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 3
Mystery dagger, 7" blade. I don't know where it came from, it just appeared one day. Possibly my wife bought it for my son (who collects swords). I saw it lying around and appropriated it.
No markings other than "Stainless China". I'm sure it would be a wicked shiv, but I use it as a fancy letter opener.
QJMXj8a.jpg

Found a new toy in the car parts store. Push the round button to unlock and open and push it again to unlock and close again. The first blade is the usual work blade, the second is a carpet knife with removable and changeable blade if the first end is dull. Turn it around the first time and get a new one later...$10...it has a belt clip on the other side from the locking button and a loop on the end for a string or clip to catch it if it falls from your hand and should not land in the same lake with all your guns and ammo........
1654799259518.jpeg

1654799286209.jpeg

1654799313246.jpeg

This one has seen better days, and while I wait for my order of renaissance wax to arrive, I decided on using mineral oil as a temporary solution (maybe I messed up doing that?). It doesn't have any markings that I can find other than the etching, so I have no idea how old it is or where it originated from. This picture makes it look odd where the fuller meets the spine, almost if it were a hollow grind on the wrong side, but that's just the way the picture came out.
sword1.jpg

I collect knives . . . especially Buck knives, Kabar, and SOG knives.

I am not above buying a beat-up knife at the flea market or a garage sale, and cleaning it up and restoring it.
20221016_104130.jpg

The stainless Next Generation Kabar was bought used, and I cleaned it up, sharpened it, and bought a new sheath.

It has been discontinued for years.

The knife above it is a modern reproduction--by SOG--of a knife used by Special Forces in Vietnam . . . although I have the larger version.

Below is a factory automatic Buck 110 that I often carry.

20221016_104956.jpg

I found a knife to be the most useful thing in the world when I worked as a paramedic . . . and also when I worked retail.

I could cut seatbelts, medical tape, clothing that was trapped in crushed metal when I needed to free someone in an accident, and for breaking windows when an idiot locked a baby in a hot car.

Another very handy knife has been a cheap "gimmick" knife that has a flashlight, ferroceramic firestarter, seabelt cutter, bottle opener, and car window breaker that I've carried for years.
20221016_112749.jpg

The flashlight is weak and tiny, but is still practical enough to find dropped keys in a dark movie theater, and to navigate your way to the bathroom late at night if you're sleeping at a friend's house and don't want to wake anyone up. The firestarter actually works, as does the seatbelt cutter.

I was interested in hollow handle knives when I saw First Blood as a kid . . . but the cheaply made hollow handle knife that I bought broke when I tried to use it on a backpacking trip.

So I was put off such knives until I discovered the Schrade SCHF2, which is made from a single piece of metal.

I had a custom leatherworker make me a bushcraft sheath for it that has a side loop for a ferroceramic fire rod.

As an exercise, I tried to see how I could trick out this arrangement to see if it's actually practical.

20221016_114533.jpg

I managed to use a minature Zippo-type lighter with a rubber seal (so the fluid doesn't evaporate), fish hooks, fishline, sinkers, a tiny keychain-style multitool, dental floss (for sewing), needles, a wire saw, a tiny keychain-style flashlight, extra paracord on the outside wrapped around the firesteel loop, and a few other things.

I experimented with this setup in the woods behind my house, and everything seemed to do what it was supposed to do.

Hopefully, I'll never be so desperate as to rely on the contents of a hollow handle knife to stay alive.

Last edited:
Did my usual check of my INCH bag to see if everything is still OK and forgot that this knife was hidden in a small pocket on the shoulder strap. It is solid stainless steel and is what the rope makers and sailors use to work on sails and ropes. The one blade is for cutting, the next is for opening cans and bottles and the spike is used to pry open the ropes twisted together to start a splice or eye in the rope.
1665944871956.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back