self made DD mylar sleeping equipment

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krime

M.I.A.
Reaction score
from what ive seen most freeze dryed food companys (new age mres) use mylar bags to seal their food, got me to thinken one might be able to sew used emptys together and make extra blankets, ive never done it, but its a thought, however, the used mre may just rip and be useless.
another use for these empty mylars is the hobo sleeping bag: using 2 hevy duty trash bags you can fill one with the mylar, then put the other one inside to sleep the mylar will be a great insulation.
again i dont know how well these would work in a real life situation, but it seems like a waste not to do something with an empty mylar bag.

from what ive seen most freeze dryed food companys (new age mres) use mylar bags to seal their food, got me to thinken one might be able to sew used emptys together and make extra blankets, ive never done it, but its a thought, however, the used mre may just rip and be useless.
another use for these empty mylars is the hobo sleeping bag: using 2 hevy duty trash bags you can fill one with the mylar, then put the other one inside to sleep the mylar will be a great insulation.
again i dont know how well these would work in a real life situation, but it seems like a waste not to do something with an empty mylar bag.
Interesting... I hadn't thought of that! I am now curious as to how it would work. You just have to be careful when opening mylar bags so as not to destroy them. I don't see why it wouldn't work to some degree. I don't think I would try it where you live in December.

depends really, the weather is so fickle around here, the weather could be hot enough to hit the air conditioner one day, then snow the next lol

depends really, the weather is so fickle around here, the weather could be hot enough to hit the air conditioner one day, then snow the next lol
True. Areas of California are weird that way. I have grown tired of the weather we have had lately. rain then warm then cold, and repeat by noon!

definitly, makes me really believe something catastrophic weather wise is going to happen soon, maybe a pre-warning to the 2012 theories

definitly, makes me really believe something catastrophic weather wise is going to happen soon, maybe a pre-warning to the 2012 theories
Well you and I are no stranger to earthquakes. I figure that is going to be a soon realized problem around here. As far as weather goes, I doubt here on California we will have a problem. In fact we need rain as does southern Nevada.

i watched a show on what could happen 2012 hosted by morgan freeman and they said that an ark storm could hit, like 5 katrinas at once, and according to them its more of a worry to us than earthquakes. honestly i trip out about both lol

i watched a show on what could happen 2012 hosted by morgan freeman and they said that an ark storm could hit, like 5 katrinas at once, and according to them its more of a worry to us than earthquakes. honestly i trip out about both lol
I missed that show. I will try to look for it. I can't imagine the damage created by a storm equivalent of 5 Hurricane Katrinas.

one of those hit san fran in 1863, wiped out alot, it was under 20ft of water from the coast to almost nevada, i was thinking of posting a thread about it in the "natural disasters" part, but i want to read more about it first.

one of those hit san fran in 1863, wiped out alot, it was under 20ft of water from the coast to almost nevada, i was thinking of posting a thread about it in the "natural disasters" part, but i want to read more about it first.
That is some serious flooding to be sure! I will have to look into that storm and see what I can find.

Insolation is not the only criteria when dealing with trying to keep warm.
I can tell you right now that if you start the night toastier than you should, it will end with you freezing to death.
At any point that your body sweats, you have condemned yourself to an early A.M .
If your heat protection will not absorb/ wick away the moisture you loose while sleeping, you would have been better off with less.
Plastic is not a good product to make any kind of sleeping equipment with.

Insolation is not the only criteria when dealing with trying to keep warm.
I can tell you right now that if you start the night toastier than you should, it will end with you freezing to death.
At any point that your body sweats, you have condemned yourself to an early A.M .
If your heat protection will not absorb/ wick away the moisture you loose while sleeping, you would have been better off with less.
Plastic is not a good product to make any kind of sleeping equipment with.
This was something I was introduced to while stationed in Germany. You learn real quick what it means to dress in layers, and not wear too many clothes when sleeping.
The most I would do was put the clothes I wanted to wear in the foot of my sleeping bag so they would be moderately warm in the morning.
But it is true whether sleeping or awake sweating is the worst thing you can do when in a cold environment.

Latest posts

Back