seeds

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Intent on having several varieties of heirloom vegetable seeds and seeds of medicinal plants such as the opium poppy, catnip, mint, echinacia, cannabis, bee balm, lemon balm, morning glory and other various plants that can be used for their medical properties tho it is rudimentary herbal medicine can be effective does anyone else have any ideas on this subject because would it not be inevitable that if shtf big pharma would cease to exist so who then would we depend on for medicine the only readily available thing that we will have plenty of is nature and all thing contained therein

thats exactly why im gonna stock up on more seeds the first chance i get..i'll be stocking up on vegetable and herbal seeds alike..just like everything else will shut down just before/dureing/or after a shtf situation.so will the pharmacies.so haveing the neccery herbal seeds in advance will be a big plus for who ever has them...the seeds i'll be going with,will have not only have medinal porposes.but be good as spices in foods as well..

Not just seeds, but I'll have full blown plants going by this time next year. Fun fact, perfectly legal to grow poppies, just illegal to process them into opium. But, as long we don't do that until after SHTF...... ;)

Lots of spices have medicinal purposes as well. Ours is a combo herb garden for both medicinal and kitchen herbs. There are also some that are good to grow amongst different crops to work as a natural insecticide, etc. (like garlic).

There are a lot of good, free, ebooks available with instructions for how to use herbs for both cooking and medicinal purposes. Perhaps you should check some of those out before making your list of seeds you want to order.

As above, but especially since many have multiple uses. There are also flowers that aren't necessarily herbs, but that do have medicinal qualities (like the poppies I mentioned)...that may be a good idea.

Our planned herb/medicinal garden is really going to be kind of disguised and in plain view. We're growing them around a Koi pond and fountain we have in this little entry yard. In it, are lots of herbs that are pretty as well as functional, and the whole deal is basically a fairy/gnome garden theme.

As above, but especially since many have multiple uses. There are also flowers that aren't necessarily herbs, but that do have medicinal qualities (like the poppies I mentioned)...that may be a good idea.

Our planned herb/medicinal garden is really going to be kind of disguised and in plain view. We're growing them around a Koi pond and fountain we have in this little entry yard. In it, are lots of herbs that are pretty as well as functional, and the whole deal is basically a fairy/gnome garden theme.
I would love to do something like that but the goats just won't cooperate. I'm probably going to end up with an indoor, kitchen garden type thing. I saw a neat idea for growing in mason jars hung on the wall. Just have to put a lot of small rocks in the bottom of the jar to be sure you aren't over watering.

for thoses who are interested in herb and vegetable seeds.

this is where i have been getting my vegetable seeds..and they also have herb seeds as well .and has proven to be a great site to buy from to me http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/

i just ordered calmus seeds here.plus they have veggies trees and shrubs as well .this site is my 1st time buy from them..so im still undecided about them so far..
https://www.horizonherbs.com/pilot.asp

I have been kind of cheating...going to the farmers market, Whole Foods, etc. and buying heirloom tomatoes, etc. Tasting them and if they are good...I pull the seeds and cook the rest. Two bangs for my buck! I am learning there are several things you can do like that!
Here is a link to a story about regrowing your kitchen produce...I have done the onions, garlic and tomatoes successful from purchased produce to actual producing plants! http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/

I think seed saving has become one of my top priorities...found an organic Meyer lemon...planted every seed...I actually have a 6" lemon tree! I am addicted now, I am afraid! I am learning that growing perennials from seed can be a whole lot harder, but once they are established and flourishing...oh my goodness! Does it feel good! I have for the most part, medicinal and culinary herbs, still several of the perennials I have not been able to "conquer" from seed...lavender has become a bear! Several years in a row and finally this year some seeds came up but that was six months ago and they are still only 2 inches tall! Here are some that I want to add but haven't done so yet...dianthus for the digitalis effect, valerian for the valium...there are so many beneficial herbs out there...and if you do almost any research...almost all the pharmaceuticals on the market today come from some kind of modification in a lab to something that is real and alive. I am to the point any longer, if you cannot prove to me that the food you produce for me to eat was created without a hazmat suite or a mask for that matter from start to finish...well, sorry but I am tired of consuming poison.

I would love to do something like that but the goats just won't cooperate.

My main garden has it's own fencing.
The gnome garden is right by the house, which aside from cats, is the only other fenced in "animal free" zone.

My main garden has it's own fencing.
The gnome garden is right by the house, which aside from cats, is the only other fenced in "animal free" zone.
I have "hot wired" my raised beds in my front yard and I live in a residential neighborhood, big believer in electric fencing. I have chain link fenced in back yard that ducks have run of...they are pretty easy to fence out of the garden in the back...a couple posts and chicken wire...most goats, if trained correctly will respect even a small solar charged fence...used to know a lady who "rented" out her goats for property clean up of brush overgrowth, etc. She brought her own "movable" fencing, housing, everything...number of animals depended on area cleaned, etc. It was simply amazing to watch them "work"! Goats and pigs when allowed to be goats and pigs can do some amazing landscaping when given the proper environment!

Latest posts

Back