Seeds at Dollar Tree

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve bought seeds from Dollar Tree before and used them to plant a small garden. I had a pretty decent crop of vegetables. I’m not sure if the package was labeled as non-GMO, but I haven’t grown a third ear or anything weird...yet.

I want to grow a tree that has this sprouting on it. :cool:

2416570-dollars-growing-on-the-monetary-tree-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

they are allll OK - the packs at the $$$$ stores are just priced in regard to the lighter ounce contained - pay more at Wally World or the home improvement stores and get double the seeds .....

gardeners around here start their bedding plants the first of February - wouldn't be waiting to buy seeds this year until spring planting >>> different trouble this spring compared to last year's Virus - seeds are a smart insurance move ....

they are allll OK - the packs at the $$$$ stores are just priced in regard to the lighter ounce contained - pay more at Wally World or the home improvement stores and get double the seeds .....

gardeners around here start their bedding plants the first of February - wouldn't be waiting to buy seeds this year until spring planting >>> different trouble this spring compared to last year's Virus - seeds are a smart insurance move ....
You have inspired me to make a start on gardening skills. I hope I level-up in time, God forbid anything worse than 2020.

I have used them with good success. If you have a small garden then these are just fine but if you have a bigger garden area like mine, I would suggest looking for a place to buy seeds in bulk. I can get way more seeds for the same price.

Squash seeds from the Dollar General did better than the seeds I saved from last years grow. My saved seeds grew nice plants that did not produce.

Seems like maybe you had planted gmo hybrids that reverted back to the parent that doesn't produce in your soil.

FEAR SELLS!!!!!

GMO-Free or Non-GMO

As I have pointed out several times before, when it comes to seeds for home gardeners, the label of GMO-Free is largely meaningless and sometimes mis-leading. Whether or not you believe the prevailing science that shows that genetically engineered plants are safe for human consumption, you can rest assured that there are currently no genetically engineered seeds or plants available to home gardeners. Not on the seed rack at the box store nor your local garden center. Not in a catalog or online.

Here are two assurances to that statement: A majority of the things that you grow in the home garden don’t have a genetically engineered counterpart. Only 12 genetically engineered crops have been approved in the US, and only 10 of those are currently produced. Most of these are commodity crops that home gardeners would not even produce, such as cotton, sugar beet, canola, and alfalfa. A few more have counterparts that are grown by home gardeners, but are vastly different from those grown by commodity producers (soybeans vs. edamame soy). And some just aren’t that very widespread (there are some GE sweet corn cultivars and squash cultivars, but they aren’t widespread on the market).

So for the most part, there aren’t any “GMO” counterparts to the crops you’d grow in the home garden. They don’t exist.

The other assurance is that genetically engineered crops are not marketed or sold to home gardeners as a matter of business practice or law. In order to purchase genetically engineered seeds or plants, it is current practice in the United States that you must sign an agreement with the company that holds the patent stating that you will not misuse the crop or propagate it (and before we get into the whole intellectual property argument – plant patents and agreements like this have been around since the early 1900s – it isn’t new). So you know that you aren’t buying genetically engineered seeds since you aren’t being asked to sign an agreement. Plus, these companies make their money by selling large quantities of seeds, they just aren’t interested in selling you a packet of lettuce seeds for $2.

So since there aren’t any GMOs available to home gardeners, why do all these seed companies slap that label on their packets? Marketing, my dear! It started off with just a few companies, mainly using the label to compete in a crowded market. And fear sells. The label has spread to more and more companies as this fear and anti-science based marketing ploy has spread…both by companies who jumped on the fear bandwagon and by those who took so much harassment from the followers of the non-GMO crowd or they lost sales to people sold on the non-GMO label that they finally gave in. Unfortunately for some companies, slapping the non-GMO label on a product seems to give them permission to charge more, even if has no real meaning….so buyer beware.

Last edited:
Hybrids don't have to be GMO to be infertile or to produce something very different than the plant the seed came from. People were crossing different plants (and animals) for thousands of years before there was such a thing as "Genetically Modified Organisms."

Absolutely...

Simply put, a hybrid is a plant (or any living organism, technically) with two different parents. Take for example the Celebrity variety of tomato, which is very popular among home gardeners. In order to get seeds of Celebrity tomatoes, whoever produces the seeds must always cross two specific parent plants to get those specific seeds, called an F1 hybrid.

These parents have been developed through traditional breeding programs (the birds and the bees — no genetic engineering here) from many different crosses. Hybridization has occurred naturally ever since there were plants. Man has been directing this process throughout most of his agricultural history to get better crop plants. How else would we have many of the vegetables and fruits that we take for granted today?

Crops like corn have very little resemblance to its wild counterpart, many thanks to selection and even crossing of superior plants by humans over the centuries. University researchers and seed developers use this natural ability of plants to cross to direct the formation of new varieties that improve our ability to produce food.

There are pros and cons to hybrid plants and heirlooms both, so there really isn’t an answer as to which one you should plant. It really boils down to personal choice. Hybrid plants tend to have more resistance to diseases and pests, due to the fact that breeders are actively trying to boost resistance. This means that there will be higher-quality produce fewer inputs. This is why hybrids are popular with farmers — nicer, cleaner-looking fruits with fewer pesticides. Many times hybrids are also on the more productive side, thanks to a phenomenon called hybrid vigor.

Heirlooms, on the other hand, help preserve our genetic diversity and even tell our cultural story. Heirlooms do not require a breeding program, so there is built-in resilience, knowing that we can produce these seeds well into the future with little intervention. But we do have a trade-off with typically less disease-resistance and less consistency on things like yield. Since they are open-pollinated, they are often a good choice for people who enjoy or rely on saving seeds from year to year.

Latest posts

Back