security and small unit tactics

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Okay, many preppers own sufficent weapons with all the bells and whistles and all the tacticool shit. But what good is that without being able to properly apply these tools as part of a team? Share with your fellow preppers what you know of patroling, security, assaulting and defending

Okay, many preppers own sufficent weapons with all the bells and whistles and all the tacticool shit. But what good is that without being able to properly apply these tools as part of a team? Share with your fellow preppers what you know of patroling, security, assaulting and defending
When considering security the most important thing to remember is this 360 security at all times.

If Scooby Doo has taught us anything, it's to ALWAYS split up and ALWAYS go into the attic alone with a shaky-at-best flash light. So... there's that.

But in all seriousness, having a partner who is capable and competent is beyond important in a life or death/security situation. If you are alone, you're likely vulnerable.

Having a competent team leader is vital.

Just like in Football (and other sports) a good formation is key to protection and execution, same goes for the military and so forth. Google fireteam formations and you can see some great military examples.

Make sure to exercise your awareness skills. Mind your surroundings at all times. Don't want to find yourself boxed in.

Sometimes stealth is best.

If you have an alarm system or signal system in place, make sure that you and yours are fully aware of how to use it, what it sounds/looks like, etc.

If you have children or young ones at home/base, make sure they are capable of handling a weapon or defending themselves if need be. Make sure there is some sort of password system in place for them to know who is at the door and that it is all clear to open
(ie, someone isn't just telling them that you are hurt and to open up, or someone isn't holding YOU at gun point and having you tell them to open up).

Longhorn, your exactly right about formations and your surroundings. Formations are about each individual knowing thier job. Your team is only as strong as its weakest link, There is a reason the military is brutal and strict. It teaches you discipline, responsibility, and loyalty, along with many other qualities it takes to keep you alive. Study, practice, and execute firing simulations, then move on to live fire...drill each aspect into your brain. second nature saves your life. as for your surroundings, study them, get a vivid detail of what your surroundings are, if a bush 500 meters out is only 300 meters out 15 minutes later theres a very good chance its no longer a bush and poses the risk of threat. Practice with the same equipment you will use everyday. get in a routine of everything. discipline will seperate the boys from the men,

Good point guys, but what about if you gotta bug out with your group on foot? I.e EMP or rule of law and the roads are death. How would you provide security on the move for your group? Recon? Quick ambush reaction?

Recon is always smart, no matter if it's for security, shelter, food, etc. It's always good to know what you're going into and where you are and as mentioned many times before, it's smart to know your surroundings. Having to bug out on foot with a group (family), is a very likely scenario and there are a few ways to go about it I would imagine.

For me I would have to suggest staying off the main roads; I would think that you wouldn't want to attract to much attention especially if you have a group or family of 3-5 all with loaded packs (remember other people will have families too that they would kill to protect and provide for)... and maybe suggest moving under the cover of night. During the day you could take that time to do surveys of the area and supplies, read/check maps, plan routes, check for news on a radio, etc. Plan your routes accordingly so as not to wind up with in the limits of a town/city that has been experiencing heavy looting and crime.

you could also have a designated scout to patrol ahead of the group then return with intel and best routes!

silence at all times when needed..especilly at night seeing how sound carrys better at night..and use no lights of any kind at night when possible.

Scouting and doing recon are very important to have on hand. But on the other hand defending and always having a 360 degree view of your surrounding location. Always take a self note and remember certain features like big viewable boulders or certain trees as your distance markers from you and your threat if you are being pursued and if that threat has to be engaged but the force may be stronger, try setting up a fatal funnel. Two main areas to focus on would be your location and you 360 degree security perimeter you will have.

as soon as i got my shotgun from the dealer,i began to do "dry-runs",how to get it up and ready asap,reloading, etc, as it seems that i'm the only one prepping in my neighbourhood,plans how to get home if needed asap, planning where to go if needed and how to get there safe,quiteglad we have forrest just outside the house,and my oldest son lives nearby and if needed i will use his expertice from military aswell as my own,he's not prepping and sofare knows nothing of mine.most people where i live would propably just panic

have you tried bringing up the subject of prepping with your son? even if it's a round n about way? have you tried that with the neighbours?and of course that includes not letting on that you prep when possible..might try useing how things go with the weather when it comes to prepping.

my oldest son might be easy,seems to be worried how the world is going and he trust russia as much as i do ;) , most of my neighbours are seniorciticens,then we have a few "i love the world hippies".
then ofcourse my son knows how to handle weapons and he has a car,have to try how he might feel of the idee

This is something my wife and I are working on. We practice with our weapons moving through and checking the house with our defense guns of choice, as well as working on hand-to-hand with each other. She wants to try and get her parents if something happens but I think we'll likely be on our own, so I need 2-man tactics. We recently established a challenge and response system so we don't shoot each other in the event we get separated, but that's as far as we've gotten. Next on the list is teaching her to properly pie a corner. Our current home invasion plan is to hold the bedroom with me eventually moving out to sweep the house but she needs to be able to do it if I'm not there. There's a hell of a fatal funnel in the middle of my house that is unavoidable if you want to get to or leave the bedroom and that's a problem but it's not something that we can change.

Today we are sighting in her red dot and working on transitions from rifle to pistol. I'm pretty excited.

I wonder if police tactics would be applicable for us? They tend to operate in pairs, if I'm not mistaken.

Most people will not be a part of a team. You are describing military tactics and we are civilians with families. We can't go out right now and start training our kids how to become tactical weapons. We need more realistic advice. Of course many more of we civilians will meet our demise than you because we are not you but as a whole we will survive. If there's one thing that man can do best, he can adjust. And may I request, what is the purpose of your team? Self preservation to what end? To preserve military teams? You need to stand down dude.

Not trying to be rude, but that last response bothered me. Please, someone in authority correct me if I'm overstepping with this response.

Which dude? I'm talking about clearing my house of intruders, not breaching and clearing someone else's place. If we're attacked in the open, transitioning from long gun to sidearm is essential when ranges close in.

The name of the thread is "security and small unit tactics" so yes, we are talking about military style tactics. Understanding the concept of the "fatal funnel" is extremely important in a firefight. You can set up a fatal funnel and an ambush and not even have to fire a shot; when your enemy finds the self staring down the barrel of one or more firearms and they have nowhere to go, they will more than likely back down.

If you don't want to teach combat skills to your family, don't. If you don't want to look into the science of fighting, don't. If you don't like thinking about kill or be killed situations, then don't.

And I'm not turning my wife into a weapon, I'm preventing her from ever turning into a victim.

had a talk today with my oldest son about prepping,well it seems that i have a buddy living close now :)

I'm on the same page right now Shadow. I recently bought all metal blow back Airsoft Glocks to help train my fiancee in proper handling, pieing and cover and concealment. It's great because we can actually clear our house and not break anything just toss blankets over tvs and breakables but all and all very good for training. They handle and are weighted almost identically and fit in my XD and Glock holsters, since I use 9mm the recoil isn't much different! lol
g17 airsoft.jpg

and we all know training is worth gold..even more so. i belive that's why they keep on training in the army aswell, "dry-runs after dry-runs" 'till you can do things with yr eyes closed.
i'm not a super-soldier but i'm training with my shotgun,knife and axe and if my son now tags along we can do it together,slow moves in the beginnig

Latest posts

Back