School safe Get Home Bags for kids

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taoofme

Reaction score
Okay, so unfortunately, my kids go to school about 18 miles from home, not as the crow flies, but via roads.

I've taught my kids what to look for as far as crisis situations, and we have plans in place on what to do for each one. In most instances, the crisis is so slow to form that we will sort of see it coming, or can still respond after it comes to a head. In those instances, is still be able to pick them up.

However in the instance of an EMP, I fear a lockdown of the schools, and since government officials tend to think they can raise my kids better than I, I might not be able to retrieve them under normal circumstances.

So I've taught my kids that I'd there is a power failure, to check their cell phones for power or signal. If no power, head out.

So what I'm wondering, what would you pack in a high school friendly get home pack? It's only 18 miles, but it could be a long 18 miles. Between dodging other people, hiding in the woods to avoid detection, time of day. And the youngest has a mild form of Aspergers, so he tends to get bored, feign being tired, and could be problematic for his older brother. My oldest has a great head on his shoulders, so no worries there.

But to reiterate, what would you pack in their bags for that short a trip?

chances are,you won't go with all these things.but yet their items to go with if you can..the younger the child is.the quieker the child will tire out

water bottle(s)..
water filtration straws
rain suite/puncho if it looks like it could rain that day
change of clothes
walkie talkie in each of the bags.and you have one as well..(make sure their all on same channel/frequency
extra cell phones in a emp proof box if possible..maybe the least expensive tracfone you can find.and add least amount of minutes when needed just to keep phones active
maps of of roads and terrain and with the different routes marked on them..
small lightweight binoculars
compass for bearings
protein bars or something else with needed nutrition seeing how they'll be burning up energy
hammock blankets just in case they have to spend the night out somewhere.hammock will keep um off the ground
flashlights with rechargeable batteries in them

what would you pack in their bags for that short a trip?

Well, you won't have much room, because they'll have all the normal things they have at school also.
Weapons are out, due to school policies.
So, you're not left with much on those fronts.

Survival Whistle (5 in 1) $5 (Compass, whistle, signal mirror, flint, waterproof matches)
http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Whistle-Emergency-Zone®-Brand/dp/B000NO08VO
Matches may be against school policy, but honestly, they'll never check here

Paracord Bracelet (usually about $5 at a WalMart)

Metal Water Bottle (most backpacks have a spot for them already, I got mine at Goodwill for $1). Get one that has a loop at the top, so you can use a carabiner clip to keep it from falling out of the backpack pocket.

A couple of Granola bars (or similar bars they will actually eat, but not something they'll eat always and then never tell you about, so you think they have it, when they don't)

Small First Aid Kit (like the kind you can get for under $10 at a discount store). Open it up, and add in sample packs of OTC drugs. Also, add a strip of Potassium Iodide pills and a strip of Cipro pills. Add in a small tube of antibacterial ointment too. This kit should be really small, like the size of a bar of soap or a little more. Be sure to stress that you need to be told if any items are used, so you can replace them!

Small Crank Radio/Flashlight/Charger ($17)
http://beprepared.com/wavelength-emergency-radio-charger-flashlight.html
Can charge cell phone, have a radio for news, and flashlight. Probably the bulkiest thing on this list, but still pretty small.

Money (take some assorted bills, then fold a piece of cardboard around them, now tape the hell out of it with duct tape, and randomly check to make sure they didn't spend it, tape all intact, etc.). If they REALLY ever need it, they'll have it, but must tell you if they EVER use it. Take a roll of quarters and do the same thing. This roll can also be used to amplify a punch.

Pair of School Scissors (probably has it anyhow, but this is to cut the paracord, or the duct tape).

Mylar Emergency Blanket (not really that great, but at $1 in price, and almost no room, why the heck not?)

Cheap Poncho (same as above, costs $1, and can certainly help)

Local Map (drawn by you, showing the routes home, or at least to a landmark the kid will recognize, if you don't want it right to your door). If there are any pay phones on that route, be sure to mark them clearly (they may work when cell phones don't). Include on the map, a list of emergency contact numbers. Laminate it if you can, but make it small, like 4"x6" tops.

MAKE SURE THE KID KNOWS HOW TO USE ALL THIS STUFF AND REALIZES HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO YOU FOR THEIR SAFETY.

Great topic, by the way.

On the handheld radios, you'll be lucky to get a mile range on them, probably much less, so just an FYI. On the burner cell phone, if there's an EMP that took out the regular cell, then the towers aren't working either, so no use there.

I have the same issue, My kid knows to head to a meet point....I've still to burry some preps there. I think as long as you give them a means of water, food, Heat, Shelter then they should be ok until you can get to them....If they cant make it home that is. I also worry that the schools would try and hold on to the kids:mad:. Do your kids know how to make fire, Shelter ect?

Weapons for schools....It's not the best but if you roll a news paper and fold it, secure it with tape, It makes a worthy cosh or a sock with snooker/pull balls inside works as well.

the idea of burying something along the way isn't a bad one. I almost added it, but opted to just stick with the list.

I also worry that the schools would try and hold on to the kids

Most certainly, but that isn't too hard to circumvent. One teacher to 20 students? Pretty easy to go to the restroom and get out. The trickier part for the OP is going to be getting the two students out and meeting at the same place. This will involve setting up a rendezvous point outside the school for them. (which is a great place to bury more preps that aren't school-friendly!)

now i've thought what if they have to lay low some where untill its safe to move on.and that means shelter untill then..here's a tent that can be bought at wal mart

Texsport_Two-Person_Camouflage_Tent.jpg
and here's a link for
Diy: Tents and Teepees
https://www.pinterest.com/palwair/diy-tents-and-teepees/

this could mean locating a lay low area where they can lay low untill they can move on.there you can take pvc pipe end caps for it and the cement to seal it shut.put tent and other needed items into it.then take it to the lay low area and pick the ideal spot for it.and bury it..and maybe mark it some how.and in a way others wont know it..

Lots of good recommendations but I would not provide any form of matches/flint sticks or a first aid kit. I don't know about where you are but in my area that stuff leads to expulsion since our schools have a zero tolerance policy. Stufents aren't even allowed to have band aids and neosporin on them (they may lend it to another student who then has an allergic reaction and the county then gets sued.).

Stufents aren't even allowed to have band aids and neosporin on them (they may lend it to another student who then has an allergic reaction and the county then gets sued.).

Good lord. Seriously? Well, can nix them from the list for you. But add them to a buried cache perhaps.
They really shouldn't be a necessity for an 18 mile trek anyhow.

Good lord. Seriously? Well, can nix them from the list for you. But add them to a buried cache perhaps.
They really shouldn't be a necessity for an 18 mile trek anyhow.

Yes, it is that bad. If they have prescription meds they need to take at school their Dr has to fill out a 3 page form explaining why they need it then it stays locked in the clinic. If my daughter has a headache I have to go sign her out of school, drive across the street so she can take some Tylenol or something then drive her back to school and sign her back in. I could understand it if she were in elementary or middle school but she is 16 and is old enough to know if she needs some meds or not.

I think a comfortable pair of shoes and good socks and some type of jacket should be kept in their locker at school if it's ever needed.

If my daughter has a headache I have to go sign her out of school, drive across the street so she can take some Tylenol or something then drive her back to school and sign her back in.

That is just ridiculous! I've heard of CYA, but for OTC meds?

Latest posts

Back