Scenario-What would you do?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I'd be sweet as honey at first. Then, I'd interview them all separately and make sure their stories matched. (after checking them for any weapons, etc.). I'd shelter them, as long the adult can help contribute, and they'd be watched for a while, to ensure they are on the up and up. Trust has to be earned, not given. Depending on the ages of the kid/s, they'd have chores too. Everyone pulls their weight in the apocalypse. (heck, even if NOT in the apocalypse).

Ok, kids on their own, they get a feed, and if it's able to be done, they get a roof over their heads. Woman/kids - I'd bluff her, tell her I'll go look for food for them, come back 1-2 hrs later with 2 tins of food ( 1 for me, 1 for her & kids) then send her on her way.
Others, "sorry, got nothing". If that doesn't work, then I introduce them to Mr & Mrs .303. Then at least the dog gets a good feed for a few weeks!!

Amen
The fact is, depending on you're survival situation the answer should be no! Many of us have worked hard enough to obtain what we have now, Hopefully this time will never happen but just remember it's food and water out of you're mouth to survive, wish I could save the world but it's out of my hands tho....

What shoe is on which foot?

What if you had to bug out and are traveling along, living off the land? They very well could be assets and not liabilities. You can teach them what you know and work with them. "Teach them to fish", if you will. Too, if the chips are down and your injured or ill, they can do physical labor that you explain to them.

If I was bugging in even though... It would be near impossible for me to turn away any starving person. It being woman or child only makes it more emotional. I wouldn't want to do that. It would be an absolute last resort if I were to turn people away. Unless they were a security concern, then all bets are off. Of they risk the rest of the group or your own personal safety, then they're being part of the "In crowd" would likely cost others too dearly. It's not right to choose which one is "Worthy", so I would be keeping those who were part of it at an earlier time, and the newbies would be checked thoroughly and then taught and put to work.

Other mouths to feed are also other hands to hold guns and other backs to do the chores necessary to provide for all.

I think the children that are alone would be taken in. I would see if the mother and child had family or friends nearby. If so, I would help them get there. Part of my prepping strategy is to be over prepared so that I can help others. I also try to have as many ways as possible to renew my resources so that I never run out of food and water. By doing that, I am not only able to help others but also help them help themselves. Having said all that, you really have to wait until the situation arises and decide then. You also can't be so compassionate that you don't recognize shady people. That single woman with child could have a baby daddy hiding around the corner. Even the two kids that appear to be alone could be a set up. Those types of scenarios were used a lot in war, especially Viet Nam.

The first few weeks will be the toughest when our country shits the bed, I live just off a major highway so God bless if I can even make it home in time. The ones who knock and compromise have a much better chance than those who don't, I love all my brothers and sisters who stand true to the constitution, I'm sad for all the good people who do not believe that there could be hyperinflation. I'm not the best at trying to sell my ideas to others for what I believe in but atleast there will be a future for our brothers and sisters as true patriots. :)

At the moment I don't have significant preps due to my current situation. So this would have to be hyothetical.

I guess in the future it depends how many resources you have, whether you've got land that can be worked or only have stores and supplies that can be used up.

Also there's the question as to whether the woman really is on her own with two orphan children or whether a few days later after you let her in, her male "friend" shows up and asks whether he can come in too. And a week later you learn that her male "friend" is actually her husband.

If you and your family are prepping on their own rather than as part of a group of preppers, once the woman, the two children and the husband show up and are walking around your house, at that point the balance of power will have shifted considerably.

If a strange woman with two kids show up how can you possibly know whether or not they are telling the truth?

If I was part of a group of Preppers I'd be inclined to take a risk and help them out an if things changed and it turned out they weren't being honest they could be sent on their way, but if I was on my own or with only a small family and was the only fully grown man, I wouldn't take the risk.

I'd probably be inclined to hide.

if i am bugging out, i will try to avoid and ignore, since i have very limited resources with me. but if i am home, i might give them a water bottle and a can of food each. just enough to get them away. since i dont want to be known as the guy who has food and water, to give to random strangers. now if they look halthy enough to last a few more days without food and water, then i will not help. but skinny mom and child, i can give up some supplies.

But i might not give them any supplies since the neighbors will see i have stuff to give, and will be knocking at the door. and that is something i dont want happening.

I would take them in. Give us strength in numbers. With more people, we can gather more food and basic needs. But they would be gone in an instant if they even thought about being the freeloader.

I guess it all depends on your prepping plan. Do you live in a bountiful area, own land and have plenty of capability to gather food and sustain yourself, or are your initial plans just to stash
a bunch of food in your basement and take it from there. If you don't own much land and just have a big stash of food in your basement, there's not going to be much an additional member
of the group will be able to do except act as a drain on finite resources.

Unless they have hunter gathering skills they can teach you...

there's not going to be much an additional member
of the group will be able to do except act as a drain on finite resources.

Unless they have hunter gathering skills they can teach you...

People can be TAUGHT skills that are needed. If we had the room, and they were willing to help with tasks, we'd take them in, we'd just watch them like hawks until they proved loyalty, etc. I imagine if they were in dire straights, and now living a decent life, they'd become pretty damn loyal. Also assuming we had room.

I support those of you who offer to take them in, they make good help and that is important for rebuilding some form of society.

Of course, the major caveat here is the fact that you yourself must have ample resource.

I would like to but depending on the disaster, I might not be able to take them in.

If its an EMP type event, yeah I would. I have sufficient resource with the river below my apartment to fish and have water to feed my parents, my wife, the domestic helper. My mom's apartment 30m away from mine, can grow vegetables because of the ample sunshine it gets. I have seeds for vegetables.

But if its a Waterworld kinda calamity and my 9th floor apartment can hold me and the wife, then no way.

So the major considerations are, 1. the calamity 2. how much resource do i have?

You also have to consider the additional personnel's help in obtaining resources though, too.... ;)

I think I would have to be a little harsh in theory and ignore/let them go. But thats easy to say having never been put in that situation

To be honest, no matter WHO comes to the door, I'll suspect it's a trap first, but hope for the best. I plan on posting some pretty clear rules on the fence near the entrance, on how to approach, what to do, etc. We're speaking via a handheld radio (that we'll send out to them via a remote control truck), before we ever put someone in harm's way. We'll see how that conversation goes before making decisions....and even then, it will be with the idea that it could still all be a trap.

ANY visitor is going to have the whole place on red alert for the duration. But, hopefully, such a person/s would either be on their way soon, or join up with us if it works out that way.

Initially, we'll have room and a place where we can ensure they don't pose a danger at night, etc. (we'd convert unused stable stalls to rooms).

Assuming that I make it to the BOL...

I will be in a position to render aid to travelers, and take in a limited number of children, but there will be a price. Bountiful food grows wild most of the year (greens, blackberries, muscadines, mushrooms, persimmons, walnuts, palmettos, etc.), and several crops will grow in winter (collard greens, wheat, etc.) it just has to be harvested. There will be plenty they can do to earn their keep.

Due to the location of the BOL and features of the surrounding land (swamps, sloughs) it is hard to conceive of anyone just stumbling across the BOL. The closest thing to a public road is a river levee a mile away and on the other side of a swamp. I can imagine some people following the levee (but not many). So the only scenario imaginable for running into people is on the levee. I can intercept small parties at the levee for trade, recruiting workers, rendering aid, etc. There will be deer rifles trained on them that they will never know about unless they try something stupid...

Latest posts

Back