Saying no to unprepared families

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montana Jack

Reaction score
After reading One Second After and Lights Out, I've been wondering how I'd handle visitors from inside and outside the neighborhood who come to everyone's door with outstretched hands after a grid down situation.

I'd have no problem turning away able-bodied adults and backing it up with my 870 if need be. And I know that once you give a can of food to even a family of good, deserving people, either that family will be back every day thereafter, or worse yet, word is going to get around you have more. Remember the American Blackout youtube movie? Still, I can't stand to see hungry kids.

We're very close with two or three neighbors and would be happy to share with them. Problem is, none of them are preppers. I think they know I am because of old Y2K preps and that I'm the only one on the block with a generator.

Maybe I just tell everyone we got nothing. Or maybe I display a small decoy stash of food, so that's all anyone thinks we have.

It might be different if we lived in a protected community with other like-minded, armed families where we could afford to give an occasional gift of charity food or water, but we're one family in the suburbs, and not likely to bug out.

Anybody ever given this some thought? What did you come up with?

2 Thessalonians 3: 10-13: Don’t you remember the rule we had when we lived with you? “If you don’t work, you don’t eat.” And now we’re getting reports that a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings are taking advantage of you. This must not be tolerated. We command them to get to work immediately—no excuses, no arguments—and earn their own keep.

My son and I have been watching the show "Colony" where they are faced with the same dilemma repeatedly. Here's the thing...they have to make trips to gather river water and oranges (which grow nearby) They also use a lot of wood, and they are running low. The first time some people came up begging for food and water, I would have told them: "Go get some water from the river and we'll give you some filtered water. Go gather some oranges and we'll give you some rice and beans. Go gather some wood, etc."

In other words, put them to work! Find something that they can do for you in exchange for the food.

Anyone healthy enough to make it to your door is healthy enough to do something useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i know and trust the person(s) slim chance on maybe.to no not at all..but if i don't know them at all...NO..im extremely slow to trust ppl that i do know..and i don't trust ppl that i don't know..and if i see someone coming down the street that could of prepared in some way or another,and didnt...again NO..they'll just keep coming back for more hand outs,and chances are,at least one of them will tell others..and that means more beggers coming around..and that'll not only cut down my food
supplies.but it'll cut down my safty as well..

I like the idea of putting them to work - if they're really in need, I should think they wouldn't mind.

I may try this at the gas station. Next time someone comes up and wants some gas money (happens frequently here), I'll say my windshield needs cleaning!

I have to agree with Jim. If you hand out, even putting them to work, they will tell a friend who eventually show up on your door step and wants food, but then where will it end? And if a family man hears that his child/ren are hungry, is he actually willing to do the work or just come on in and get it? People have been told to store up since Biblical days as Dr Henley has pointed out to be prepared. Once you hand out, they are like puppies and will keep coming back since that is where they can get fed, but they will grow up into big dogs or tell their buddies who are already big dogs and will eventually just get what they want or out number you and get what they want. Be very careful who you trust in a SHTF scenario

I'm a big fan of the work in exchange for food idea, but yeah, the security concern is there, so in a SHTF situation, you'll have to establish some basic measures to ensure they are sincere and don't slit your throat while you sleep.

This is going to be a toughy for me. These are all very valid points and we seem to pretty much all agree that we can't turn into food banks or soup kitchens or homeless shelters, which is essentially what would happen if you helped one person, and they went and told others.

I have a sort of a "justice complex." My wife refers to it as my "inner Batman." I can't stand to see little injustices go on, like when people take advantage of other people or the system to get ahead. Thing is, the more I think about it, the more I think this will help me because honestly, the unprepared will reap what they have sown (which I suppose is ironically, a bunch of nothing) and I shouldn't have too much trouble justifying turning them away.

We also want to remain as undetected as possible so that hopefully, this situation doesn't come up too often. Until we move to the country, though, we're going to have our work cut out staying hidden five blocks away from the town square where we currently live.

If you got something your friends will kill you for it. Make no mistake your on your own. In ten days they'll be looking in the cities.Cyprus was a test run on what to expect. My land is posted I've put up barriers around the ditch line were i grow. When its happens every one is out to take what I have. I will treat them as such.

I know people will come to us for help. They already do and our resources arent like what I want them to be. I would turn them away. It will be hard enough to take care of my own family.

Blood first you have no idea how long things will last. Be careful cause hunger can cause a big change in people.

Stuff like this will come up . I will look at case by case base's . You have to make good decisions . Some will be a threat some you may need something from some just victimes of the situation . But in the long run you need assets not liabilities . The victim metalaty ones I would give them something and send them packing the asset would be a trade partner the threat would just have to be dealt with . You have to be a good decision maker . Case by case .

I air on the side of caution You may make a friend or have them come back with others. Its something well all have to figure out.

That's why it is good to think about it ahead of time though.... We already have kind of a basic protocol to follow, so really, it will just be tailoring the response to other factors. For the most part, we'll assume a lone traveler or small group (3 or less or obvious family) is looking for a place to be....but until they are trusted, we'll be sure they are unarmed, watched, and basically kept on the premises for a trial period. Of course, they'll need to do things to earn their keep too, help with chores, help with the gardens, help with the animals, etc. They'd also be secured during sleeping hours. May sound paranoid, but not taking many chances with my loved ones.

The quote is -
10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat. 13 And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good.

The bottom line is - even in the days of Noah, when Noah offered jobs to everyone and a place to stay after the flood, no one took him up on his offer.
Once the flood started, there was wailing and gnashing of teeth.
A lot of pounding on the doors of his ship.

If a person wants to live, they will store up things now, rather then later.

Self preservation takes rule - you have to save yourself, let them rot!

Urban survival is not going to be an option.
If you cannot get out of Dodge - you will end up in the same shape or worse then everyone else.

Even if you hide everything, as soon as no one see's you out rummaging for food - they will know you have food.
When they are starved and malnourished, they will smell the food cooking in your house.

When you go to sleep, and at some point you will have to sleep - they will just come and kill you and rob you!

This is why it is so important to get out of Dodge!

You need to have a place where you can bug out to!

Good options is Washington State - lot's of Forrest.
Rocky Mountains - lot's of mountains.
Michigan - lot's of lakes
New York and Pennsylvania - lot's of mountains.

West Virginia - you might get shot trespassing on someone else's land.
George Washington National Forrest.

Maybe someplace in the Ozarks or Smoky Mountains.

You wouldn't catch me dead in Texas, California, Iowa, Nebraska, North or South Dakota, Nevada, Illinois, Ohio, South Carolina, Florida or Louisiana...

I'd have a hard time trusting those I know strangers even more. I'm in deep east Texas in a National Forest on a 192,000 acre lake. I now have crops in the ground as we have two growing seasons. Its on a dirt road off the roads well traveled. Hard to find if your not a local. Leaving is not a option I do intend on dying here. later rather than sooner. but as I said we have to play this out the best we can. Where I'll make my stand as were both to old to leave I had a good life try to make a little more for us.

Bugging out of the entire state of Texas is going to be next to impossible unless you're already near the border... And I don't see what the state really matters. We've got rolling hills, woods, rivers and lakes too... I feel pretty good about being in Tx. Also pretty much never have to worry about harsh winters and snow, crop failure from cold, etc. It just gets nasty hot but that's workable. I like how easy it has been to get all my weapons as well.

The farms around our BoL should be fairly self-sufficient, which will reduce the likelihood of our neighbors turning to raiding. Horses and cattle are in abundant supply if you know where to look, and my wife and I do. Not planning on stealing any obviously, but if someone leaves their stuff behind, it becomes fair game after a certain point. Put scavenged food and water out for your pets and see if they eat it or leave it alone after a few nibbles. If your hungry dog/cat rejects your find, it's probably spoiled or poisoned.

We have a lot of feral pigs around wild life is in abundance. I go for coffee every morning at five am on full moons you got to watch for deer feeding on grass along side the road. There a exotic game club about five miles from us. Some time they can escape. One guy bag a Elk last year. We been doing this for a while plus I grow a big garden. But i'm amazed we last this long it just about up.

Latest posts

Back