Saying no to unprepared families

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i plan on staying in texas as well..grew up in texas.and plan on having no other way.hemphill is located in a great area.plenty of water hunting fishing maybe some great bug out locations as well if needed..i live 25 miles from nacogdoches in which i have to watch for deer along there.i know a guy who has hit 2 deer along 1 stretch of road

Yes, deer are a huge problem where my wife and I are at also, even within the "city." Little old ladies like to feed them so they're all over the neighborhoods at night. Makes for an abundant food supply though...

thats a big plus.id be feeding them as well if it helps..lol.get them use to being in the back yard or where ever..then all id have to do,is sit on my porch with a cross bow or what ever.

The full moon madness has them coming out to feed . All our doctors are in Nacogdoches a pain clinic and Russel Blvd. I stop at the dollar tree all the time. The one by Lowe. The old town very nice I can get a Ruben there. Coming back home on the forest rd between Yellow Pine & Pineland I counted eleven deer. On the way to doctor coming across 13 feral pigs crossing the road. What Type of cross bow you have? I've been looking at them I got a silent cat pellet gun 177 cab. For small game their great.

i dont have a cross bow..but thought of them on account their silent..don't want to alert anyone after tshef..i shop at same dollar tree time 2 time..and lowes as well..and family dollar across town.towards lufkin.and just a block away.wal-mart..from nac to douglas is where my neighbour hit the deer..

I hit two in the last 10 years last was on the cut through Chereino May have misspelled that one. Going off 21 to 103 2009 Camry hit hit in mid air as he was jumping over embankment. 3300 dollars on left front. Other was on 49 1800 on that one. Lots of deer around here. That dollar tree a great place to stock can goods. Those Handover soups ain't bad. Lots of good stuff at great price.

The full moon madness has them coming out to feed . All our doctors are in Nacogdoches a pain clinic and Russel Blvd. I stop at the dollar tree all the time. The one by Lowe. The old town very nice I can get a Ruben there. Coming back home on the forest rd between Yellow Pine & Pineland I counted eleven deer. On the way to doctor coming across 13 feral pigs crossing the road. What Type of cross bow you have? I've been looking at them I got a silent cat pellet gun 177 cab. For small game their great.
My youngest son and I went to Nacogdoches for a weekend vacation (a few hours away from where we live). He was only about 8 at the time, but we went to a museum there, (sorry but can't remember the name) but he got to plow and plant. . . it was just like it was back in the 1800's. (This was also before we started our farm) We went for one of his school projects and he loved it. I think all kids should be able to experience that at least once in their life.

I could only wish I lived in a location like you and JimLE. Hemphill is a great spot to be in since it is a very small town and you know most everyone. You know who to shoot whenever certain neighbors come around. . . :p!

My biggest fear would be to give a little to get someone on their way and they come back!

According to Patriots book, store some extra away from cache and compound to give as charity. Even doing this many "What if's" that could bite ya in the butt

My biggest fear would be to give a little to get someone on their way and they come back!

According to Patriots book, store some extra away from cache and compound to give as charity. Even doing this many "What if's" that could bite ya in the butt
amen sister!!

yeah,it does seem like there's a museum in nac.and im thinking that its got some thing to do with the collage there.they have agricultural courses there....

i've come close to hitting a couple of deer with in last few weeks...they were on the side of the road.and if they turned for it.i would of hit um

Moe answering the thread on deer...more jokingly, but really I have my heart in hunting in Texas, other than going to my wife's coworkers home to take out the feral hogs that are in his field and also to sight my scopes on moving targets. No offense all, but before I made Texas home, I lived in upstate New York as a teenager, my dad and aunt taught me to hunt with an old 30-06 with iron sights. Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my deer meat, and where my dad retired after the Army, they even had white albino deer with the devil eyes. Dad took one down in the old Army Depot in Seneca County. My aunt who is 12 years younger than my dad, sole survivor of 5 boys and one baby sister (my last uncle just passed two weeks ago), lives with her husband in the Adirondack Mountains. She is true Mountain Woman here, road horses up in the back-country, kayaked you name it and for most of her life, has not bought much store bought meat, except once in some ground beef. My wife is from North Dakota and after my jump incident where I pretty much was boarded out and retrained, I spent some years in North Dakota. I thought I loved hunting in New York, but nothing like corn fed deer, just walking right up into an open snow covered farmer field and not even breaking a sweat. My brother in law lives in Montana, elk, deer, moose, antelope, he's about taken any of them down either by rifle or bow. My real hunting is in Montana now.

My point, well I just can't shoot Bambi here in Texas, no matter how starved I get to my mouth watering, they taste to much like the mesquite and also the deer in Texas remind me of the miniature deer I saw in my tour in England. Sorry all, I guess I will save them for all of you if SHTF (Jim you bag, one for me) and head to Colorado, where I don't mind thumbing the auto-selector and hitting one between the eyes. lol

We plan to put a sign up that tells them to move on...pretty much stated plainly in my ROE. I know not very neighborly and Christian, Jim, but just can't chance it...once they get inside the second wire, I have to treat them like they have hostile intent.

My wife has hit two and I've had two close calls. One buck got hit by another car in the left lane just ahead of me. The deer sailed through the air across my path, sailed over the shoulder and landed in the ditch at the bottom of the shoulder. The next day I found an antler stuck in the air dam. I still haven't figured out how that happened!

Those deer got my respect as i now only carry insurance on the other person. I got bell whistles but they not pay any attention. I start back using only hand tools as i believe they will turn out the power on us. Figure I better get into half decent shape it will be all we have to work with. Stock up on picks, hoes. shovels. post hole diggers, double blade ax. rakes.

Bugging out of the entire state of Texas is going to be next to impossible unless you're already near the border... And I don't see what the state really matters. We've got rolling hills, woods, rivers and lakes too... I feel pretty good about being in Tx. Also pretty much never have to worry about harsh winters and snow, crop failure from cold, etc. It just gets nasty hot but that's workable. I like how easy it has been to get all my weapons as well.

The farms around our BoL should be fairly self-sufficient, which will reduce the likelihood of our neighbors turning to raiding. Horses and cattle are in abundant supply if you know where to look, and my wife and I do. Not planning on stealing any obviously, but if someone leaves their stuff behind, it becomes fair game after a certain point. Put scavenged food and water out for your pets and see if they eat it or leave it alone after a few nibbles. If your hungry dog/cat rejects your find, it's probably spoiled or poisoned.

You are absolutely right about not being able to bug out of the whole state of Texas - but my other point would be if you can see it from the air, it probably isn't safe - from the standpoint of another world war and a invading country coming here to take us over.

If I was from somewhere else and I wanted to get in - the first two ways I would do it would be either from Mexico - where no one cares or Canada - either across the north pole or through Alaska.

From what I understand there is some mountains north of El Paso...

The other point is - wasting food.

I can see that you have never been homeless and you have never had to do without.
If you had to live like that then you would understand that you don't throw out hotdogs or bologna just because it turned green and you don't throw out bread - just because it has mold on it and you don't throw out food just because it looks or smells funny!

I can remember keeping my food in a small spring of running water, and drinking milk even when it was 90* outside and buying ice when I could afford it and eating what ever I could find - even if it was roadkill - just to get a little meat inside of me.

Maybe this is one of the things that makes me so hard to understand - some people calls it being mean or rude or unfeeling.
If the world comes to an end and everybody is looking for handouts - you can bet your bottom dollar that you aren't going to find any food in a store and the people that does not have food will eat anything they can catch or steal.

I never stole, not even food!
I picked things in the woods such as Princess Pine - for $.17 cents a pound and then carried it - sometimes more then a mile and then paid someone to haul it for me and then paid for the supplies to pick more - just so I could afford a little propane and some ice and some milk and some food. If you picked for 10 hours in a really good patch - you could pick 100 lbs in one day!

The problem is - if something bad happens - there won't even be those kinds of jobs and there won't be any money and there won't be any stores to buy food in!

One of the things I hate the most is these Moonshiner and Ginseng pickers and gold hunters that makes you think all you have to do is move there and pick it up off the ground and turn it in for big money! That kind of stuff just doesn't happen in the real world!

My wife has hit two and I've had two close calls. One buck got hit by another car in the left lane just ahead of me. The deer sailed through the air across my path, sailed over the shoulder and landed in the ditch at the bottom of the shoulder. The next day I found an antler stuck in the air dam. I still haven't figured out how that happened!

And you didn't go back and pick up the deer and eat it?

I was born in a little place called Davis Creek W Va. Youngest of six kids my father died two years later. I started school in a one room school house. they didn't hand out free breakfast or lunch. Every thing i had was hand me downs Shoes with cardboard cut outs because there were holes in the bottom. Pinto beans was our basic meal I even carried them smashed up on two pieces of white bread for lunch. Tough time has been around for ever there going to get tougher very soon. Time we all put on our big boy pants cause its going to get real nasty.

You wouldn't catch me dead in Texas, California, Iowa, Nebraska, North or South Dakota, Nevada, Illinois, Ohio, South Carolina, Florida or Louisiana...

Plenty of rural areas in all of them. What kind of range do you think modern folks will have when they run out of gas? Being even a few miles into the country is going to mean you aren't going to be too harassed, especially if nothing of much interest near you.

Coming to the country doesn't mean your home free. If people don't know you your a outsider i don't think they'll greet you with open arms. How much can you carry or pack in a car. You need to find a friend where your headed Maybe store supplies at there place God only knows how long its going to last. Two people are better than one we all got to sleep so you can be a Plus in that way by one sleeps as the other watches.

2 Thessalonians 10-13: Don’t you remember the rule we had when we lived with you? “If you don’t work, you don’t eat.” And now we’re getting reports that a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings are taking advantage of you. This must not be tolerated. We command them to get to work immediately—no excuses, no arguments—and earn their own keep.

My son and I have been watching the show "Colony" where they are faced with the same dilemma repeatedly. Here's the thing...they have to make trips to gather river water and oranges (which grow nearby) They also use a lot of wood, and they are running low. The first time some people came up begging for food and water, I would have told them: "Go get some water from the river and we'll give you some filtered water. Go gather some oranges and we'll give you some rice and beans. Go gather some wood, etc."

In other words, put them to work! Find something that they can do for you in exchange for the food.

Anyone healthy enough to make it to your door is healthy enough to do something useful.
I really like your post. I agree, I don't think I would make someone go hungry, but I have lots of chores I do to provide my preps. I can always find something for someone to help with. I wish our welfare system would come up with a similar idea. Even if you are old and out of shape, you could do something. I'm not a big fan of rewarding people for doing nothing. I can't tell you how many days I don't feel like getting up at 3:40am and going to work, but I do. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not heartless and realize sometimes people need help, I jus don't think it's a good idea to let them make a career of it.

I'm a big fan of the work in exchange for food idea, but yeah, the security concern is there, so in a SHTF situation, you'll have to establish some basic measures to ensure they are sincere and don't slit your throat while you sleep.
No doubt, you have to consider being careful what kind of work you could offer as you don't want to expose your supplies and any security you have to strangers.

Latest posts

Back