satalite phones?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone given this a thought i found some the ova day for the price of a 1phone?

you need to subscribe... their subscriptions are quite expensive.

There do seem to be some other services... if you find a good match such as low per minute billing and low unit price post a link.

has anyone given this a thought i found some the ova day for the price of a 1phone?
Actually this thread got me to look into it more. I found that if you don't want all the bells and whistles of a smartphone getting a tri-mode sat phone may actually not be that bad of a deal if you can find or build the batteries when you need them. I just bought a gsp-1600 for about $120, bear in mind the sat functions are $25-40+ on average plus tax / month which is as much as a blackberry dataplan these days, however you don't need to activate it to use it as a cell phone. If things go bad or get questionable like serious war breaks out your cell provider goes down eg. there are serious issues you can always see if the sat network is still running although it would probably get clogged fast.. also the other benefit is that it can be used almost anywhere in the world, even in areas without cell towers, including or emergency purposes such as coastal areas and the north.

If I can get my local CDMA provider to do the phone I can get about 50 miuntes for about $15 plus tax which isn't that bad, although it'd be great if I found a lower costing provider with paygo type minutes. Hopefully it will work out but I think for an introductory phone the gsp-1600 wasn't a bad deal for $100 even as a technology demonstrator I think it will encourage atleast $100 of education over the period, and I've been without a cell since my last three were stolen, and I have sort of been in need of a phone for some uses. It is still really expensive for the time offered, paying 25 or 50 cents for a payphone is often a more economical option. However I don't have to activate it, but currently there are double time deal meaning I get twice the minutes 960 minutes usable within a year would cost close to $500 though, but that is pretty good but in my mind $500 or $40 month is a lot for communication that is a mobile ham station, if people I needed to contact such as the government actually used wireless radios to communicate with people.. but they don't.

None the less I will be pissed but I may actually break down and get a year plan but it is absurd amounts of money for my needs and finances. and cellular is separate so $60
a month is just an absurd amount for communications I can most likely do via efax or email but I have the phone now just need to insure its not a white elephant, but I figure, the globalstar network may survive a few more years and if I keep good care of the phone it will last me a few more years, and I don't need to keep my phone plan continuous and can vary it based upon need.. very expensive white elephant but I can sit on it for a while, I don't need to feel compelled by the double time minutes to activate it right away. I may, may be teaching in a remote location later in the year though, or early next year so having a sat phone may be useful, anyway.

IMO it is useful if you are in areas without celltower or landline coverage or if you have the money for a relatively expensive per minute plan, its about 2x what you might need to pay but overall 50 cents a minute for portable phone is not that bad, but it is still more than I need, but I guess I'll have one so I guess I should sort my stuff out. May not activate it for a while though.. but if you can find one for cheap not bad.

This seems to be one of the cheapest phones on the market bear in mind it is 10+ year old technology.
http://www.globalstar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=99

This is not the exact phone but it is the same model.

For another $400 you get 6 months I think of warranty. You can find them for about $150 used or perhaps in the $300-400s range new. They originally retailed for over a grand but the price has dropped to half of that in general.

For $100 plus $33 duties and shipping and conversion fees its not that bad. Of course lots of problems could occur buying a used phone but relatively speaking $100 is alright imo, actually the lowest I found.

Latest posts

Back