San Diego new prepper

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronni

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Ronni and I live in San Diego, California. Luckily I stumbled onto this site as I am looking for some sound advice! My biggest concern is not HOW to prepare for the worst, but WHERE to go should my home not be a viable "bug in" option. My family are all in the perfect bug out scenario located in the farming community of Ohio. Obviously getting back home would be time consuming, so where does one plan on escaping the city from in the event of a disaster? ( All of my friends are also city dwellers too.). Should I be looking at camp grounds, state parks, hotels? Any insight on determining the best place to evacuate to when a cabin in the woods, or a hidden bunker are simply not available options at this point in life, would be sincerely appreciated.

I would take a look at your map of the area,try to find something "empty" far enough wich you could go to if you can't stay at your place anylonger,take time to plan how you would go there,once you have that plan, make plan B and if you have the time scout the areas.
Every time I go to work I know I have 3 different routs back home if something would happen,1 is highrisk but quick 2 lowrisk but slightly longer

Last edited:
Ronni!
I'm somewhat oldfashioned guy,trust my compass moore than gps,didn't like compass and map so much when doing my mil.service but the knowledge stayed thanks to my instructor. and it feel absolutely fantastic to walk in the woods after a shitty workday.

howdy from a texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed...

Hi everyone, my name is Ronni and I live in San Diego, California. Luckily I stumbled onto this site as I am looking for some sound advice! My biggest concern is not HOW to prepare for the worst, but WHERE to go should my home not be a viable "bug in" option. My family are all in the perfect bug out scenario located in the farming community of Ohio. Obviously getting back home would be time consuming, so where does one plan on escaping the city from in the event of a disaster? ( All of my friends are also city dwellers too.). Should I be looking at camp grounds, state parks, hotels? Any insight on determining the best place to evacuate to when a cabin in the woods, or a hidden bunker are simply not available options at this point in life, would be sincerely appreciated.
Hello from OC

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Ronni,

First a good map is a start, but you can go to USGS and download your areas topographical map for free in PDF. Save them via computer and then you could go to any copier and print them. Not sure how your office frowns on reproducing maps, but they would be black and white, or if you take them to Kinkos, etc. See my post about Maps. Will give you some ideas.

As for San Diego, my good friend family lives in San Diego, we served together in the military. His very large Filipino family are not preppers nor he. I did remark that possibly quickest route would be toward Imperial Valley, but your facing some serious desert terrain that must be negotiated and that requires some serious planning to include water and fuel. If your footing it, then I'd make sure I attend a few desert survival courses that would prepare for you to coexist and survive.

Heading up the 5 or 15 are going to be not sound routes, even taking the 8 would be dangerous, but I'd opt taking the 8 until I got to the California 79 and go up through Cuyamaca, at least you would have water and then head into the national reserve. At least the route well north is near Twenty-nine Palms, Marine Corps training base, your going to bump into units if crap hits the fan. I'd just make sure before you leave, were not in martial law, use the shortwave radio with handcrank/solar power to keep informed.

Since I only lived in Central Part of California in early 90's that the best I can offer. Its been a long time since I visited San Diego (early 90's right after first Gulf War).

As far as hotels forget it, when Katrina hit, hotels were sold out all the way to Dallas, Texas. If your talking California, think about your population density. Also, I'd shy away from people in general, I'm sure some will tag on to that...definitely avoid camp grounds, people get very desperate when they fear the unknown. You are marked because your going to be in complete control because you've been prepping! Your better staying out of sight. JimLE and I were discussing rail trucks as a Exfil vehicle since he and I agree that days after an event or SHTF that railroads will stop completely. Like the airlines did when 9-11 hit. We just were discussing options, I'd make sure I would have some good railroad routes marked out on map, check the forum, can't remember who posted, but he had a link to a pretty uptodate website that had all railroads in U.S. similar to MapQuest or Google, but railroads.

I'd try to work out with some other prep people who are on this site and group together. You will see most, of us believe grouping is a viable option of staying alive.

it would be nice to find likeminded people here in finland aswell,this prepping might be more important than i imagined if the news are correct abt further russian expansion,atleast nato is placing more jets in the baltic countries

Latest posts

Back