Sams Club... membership

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LillyBell

Reaction score
I just got a member ship to sams club... it is not what it use to be... only a small portion is food, but the walmart is closer and the card is good there too. The fuel price can't' be beat. I just spent the same for premium (testing if it goes farther if better quality and no ethanol) for a tank as I would for discounted HEB gas that is regular much less being cheaper than regular for EXXON gas or such.

that alone makes this card a good deal... but are their any real cons anyone knows of as a club member?

The fuel price can't' be beat. I just spent the same for premium (testing if it goes farther if better quality and no ethanol) for a tank as I would for discounted HEB gas that is regular much less being cheaper than regular for EXXON gas or such.

Here's what I do for gas.

Winn Dixie has a pretty awesome program. For every $50 you buy in groceries, you earn a 5 cent per gallon fuel perk. This is nice, but where the program really works, is when you buy key items that have a 4 cent, 7 cent or 10 cent per gallon bonus, on top of this. Last week, I paid $10 for 16.6 gallons of gas using this.

Another store, Publix, has a deal about every 3 weeks. They sell a $50 gas card for $40. You can buy one card, for every $50 worth of groceries.

So, on weeks that Publix doesn't have the deal, we shop at Winn Dixie, and rack up the fuel perks. Then on weeks Publix has those cards, we buy about 3 weeks of groceries (for 5 people), and buy about 4 cards (getting $40 worth of free gas).

As for SAMs Club...yeah, not what it used to be for groceries, but can still find some deals. Trick is to compare the per oz. price though, to see if you are really getting a true deal. To be honest, I can usually do better with bogo deals and coupons at the regular grocery stores, than SAMs anymore, though there are a few things we can get there in bulk that are cheaper. To really save though, have to coupon (and both Winn Dixie and Publix typically have sales on items that also have coupons, which allows you to really double up). And while WalMart will match prices, a) it is a pain in the rear, b) the fuel deals at the other stores aren't present at WalMart.

If you're in a state that allows double or triple coupons, all the better (we sadly do not have that here). But, if an item is on sale, has a manufacturer coupon, and a store coupon, then I've made out like a bandit.

Forgot to mention....so, you have all the fuel perks saved up from shopping at Winn Dixie...THEN you use your $50 gas card (that you paid $40 for), to get gas! Double dip of savings there!

I always buy my coffe at sams.on acount their containers of coffe is larger then any place else.and for just a lil bit less if i remember right..pluse we buy certain meats and sodas there..i have a rechargable and portable jump starter i bought there 2 years ago..it's more then paid for it self..

Sam's has some great deals. But often you have to buy in more quantity than you would otherwise. The biggest problem I have is that they don't always have the same thing. They had some great Balsamic Vinegar a few years ago (the real deal), but when I went back for more they didn't have it, and haven't had it since. It only takes two or three trips to make the membership fee worth it.

They discount restaurant gift cards and phone minutes cards that are full price everywhere else.

We went to Sam's Club today with a friend who has a membership to eat lunch of a combo polish sausage, which is a great deal at $1.49 with a drink. I looked around and I found some great deals that I would love to be able to stock up on. . . flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Yet was also able to take advantage at all the free samples. . . heck we didn't even need to have lunch first and I got so full that I didn't even need to make a dinner. Told hunny it may be worth the savings but I know that my friend will let us take advantage when need be. We help him and he does the same for us.

yeah.we've done a fair amount of shopping at sam's.and they do have great deals on things..thats where i love to buy my coffee.on account of the deal i get on folgers there.i also buy the 2 pack of mustard there..

I would join one, but with the 80 mile + round trip it would eat up all the savings. One small disadvantage to being rural. I have learned which stores here have the best pricing for specific things. One has the best meats, another for canned goods, etc. I stopped at a roadside farmers market the other day, and was suprised it was double the price on everything. It pays to be aware of what things are around the area.

Here's what I do for gas.

Winn Dixie has a pretty awesome program. For every $50 you buy in groceries, you earn a 5 cent per gallon fuel perk. This is nice, but where the program really works, is when you buy key items that have a 4 cent, 7 cent or 10 cent per gallon bonus, on top of this. Last week, I paid $10 for 16.6 gallons of gas using this.

Another store, Publix, has a deal about every 3 weeks. They sell a $50 gas card for $40. You can buy one card, for every $50 worth of groceries.

So, on weeks that Publix doesn't have the deal, we shop at Winn Dixie, and rack up the fuel perks. Then on weeks Publix has those cards, we buy about 3 weeks of groceries (for 5 people), and buy about 4 cards (getting $40 worth of free gas).

As for SAMs Club...yeah, not what it used to be for groceries, but can still find some deals. Trick is to compare the per oz. price though, to see if you are really getting a true deal. To be honest, I can usually do better with bogo deals and coupons at the regular grocery stores, than SAMs anymore, though there are a few things we can get there in bulk that are cheaper. To really save though, have to coupon (and both Winn Dixie and Publix typically have sales on items that also have coupons, which allows you to really double up). And while WalMart will match prices, a) it is a pain in the rear, b) the fuel deals at the other stores aren't present at WalMart.

If you're in a state that allows double or triple coupons, all the better (we sadly do not have that here). But, if an item is on sale, has a manufacturer coupon, and a store coupon, then I've made out like a bandit.
holy crap! havnt seen a winn-dixie since i was a kid lol , but we do have Kroger and they have a kroger card u use when purchasing groceries and you get awarded so much off the gallon at there gas pumps aswell .

I just found my Mecca....small market called "Felton's Market" nearby. Prices for meat are about half of the supermarket's prices (and better quality from appearance, as well as variety of meats). Their other products though, are generally higher, but I'm definitely shopping here for meats first, then Aldi for their deals, Winn Dixie for theirs, then Publix for items only they have.

Here's a link: http://www.feltonsmarket.com/

Typically, I go grocery shopping every two weeks, for five people, so something I really plan it out with meal plans for the two weeks (and meals that use things we already have, when possible), coupon for, etc. I'm no master couponer, but if I don't save at least 40%, I feel I failed as a shopper. I also typically just stock up on extra deals too, so when we have a lean week, we have things in the pantry (other than preps), to minimize the next shopping trip.

We do rotate through prepped food though too, especially in lean weeks, which make prepping all the more worth while, with practical NOW benefits.

I have two fridges and a stand up freezer, and still usually have to really play with it to find room though.

I checked out some of their meat specials and saw some good deals there. 43 cents for chicken quarters is not a bad deal at all and their gallon of milk only $2.99 . . . heck I'd shop there too if I didn't raise my own.

Last night, I got steaks for 5 (T-Bones and Ribeye), some produce, some sides for other meals, canned dog and cat food for a few days (for a few dogs, and a few cats), and some other odds and ends, and got out under $60. Man, I'm in love with the store, lol!

And the steaks were really good too, nice and tender, juicy...much better than supermarket.

Latest posts

Back