Russian/Soviet Gas Masks---Filters

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schattentarn

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Anyone who looks into Soviet/Russian gas masks runs into the fact their filters contained asbestos. That is scary. But there were other components filtering out the asbestos before it gets to you. It is still scary. American/NATO filter screw-in threads do not match up well with Russian masks. Even the conversion kits don't fit all filters. But the Soviet masks/filters were made for the civilian population, specifically for nuclear fallout and also cover chemical and biological. So what can be done?

This guy has an easy fix, just add another filter to filter out any possible asbestos.

He uses 3M filters which are cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-5935-P3-Filters-1x-Pair-/303533091999
The standard and new Russian filters are less than $5.00 at my military store. Their ratings coupled with their price make this option something to consider if you have a Russian GP-5 mask or later.

you need to get those old Commie masks for almost nothing $$$$ - only good for a non-hazard working environment that's more of a nose attack than anything else >>> if you have post-SHTF cleanup to do involving spoiled food in the frig & freezer, dead bodies and maybe sewage ....

The guy as the military store said: "If you really need a gas mask, the last thing you will be worrying about is cancer. It does take a lot of time to develop lung cancer after exposure to asbestos, maybe 20 years. So being 73 now, that guy at the military store is spot on for me.

I have considered my SHTF threats and nuclear exposure is number two, only being exceeded by a Golden Hoard threat generated by a big earthquake.

I’ve bought both Russian and Chinese items in the past. My success rate has been around 50%. The quality control of these respective countries leaves much to be desired.

I found some better material to refit those Russian masks. This is filter material especially designated for asbestos. It is 3M 2097. Two big red discs of this material are $15.00 on Amazon and can be cut to fit three filters each. I ordered them yesterday.

Latest posts

Back