Rural home considerations

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backandbeyond

God Like
Reaction score
When I decided to move from the city to the country, as most preppers with the means eventually do, I was lucky to have a couple of decades of learning to fall back on when making my choice. Choosing a new home will be a compromise for most, they will desire to near a certain city perhaps, or near certain relatives. I know that was the case with me. But even within these constraints a good choice can be had if certain prerequisites are adhered to.

The society: I put this at the top of my list because even with all the other ducks lined up, if I found myself living in a place with high crime, racial problems, or people who generally didn't want me there, life would be miserable from the get go. Hence I considered only small towns with cohesive populations -all white basically- In other words people I had common roots with, common attitudes. The town also had to have a decent proportion of outsiders who had moved there, nullifying the parochial nature of such towns.

Food: I believed it was important to either have a place where I could grow food or be in a region where food and meat was grown in abundance. I chose the latter since any food grown here is also for-sale here, Even the butchers source their product locally.

Nuclear fallout: A big consideration in this day and age, even down here in OZ. I thought it was critical to be well outside the full blast radius of any target, and as important, to be upwind of any fallout. nukemap helped with this as did a study of the prevailing winds in my areas of choice.

A dead End: This only came to me at the last, after I had actually decided on a place. Moving to a town that is off the major highways and up a dead like a valley is a good choice I believe, because with little passing traffic -people in other words- it's easier for the population to keep track of strangers.

Neighbors Close by: Prior to this home I lived on a larger rural property and had trouble with local thieves. Disaffected young locals who would spend their days and evenings roaming the backblocks looking for an easy target. Again if you are an outsider, word gets around, and unlike the homes of the people they grew up with you are fair game. After all, didn't you move in without their permission? Didn't you take a property one of them might have bought if only they had the money. That's right, you are a city slicker, a moneyed up outsider and fair game. Because of this I chose to live in the inner township on a standard suburban block surrounded by neighbors who keep an eye out, we are sticky beaks by nature, it's why we all slow down to look at accidents.

Fitting in: When I moved in I started wearing checked shirts and blue jeans when out in town. I walked slower and stopped to chat with people. It sounds almost silly I know but the wise animal blends in with their surroundings. Thankfully everyone drives nice cars here and many spend money improving their properties so the rest of my life blends in well.

There are no doubt other considerations to take into account when choosing a home, this was my list though and now the die is set, I don't plan to move again.

When I decided to move from the city to the country, as most preppers with the means eventually do, I was lucky to have a couple of decades of learning to fall back on when making my choice. Choosing a new home will be a compromise for most, they will desire to near a certain city perhaps, or near certain relatives. I know that was the case with me. But even within these constraints a good choice can be had if certain prerequisites are adhered to.

The society: I put this at the top of my list because even with all the other ducks lined up, if I found myself living in a place with high crime, racial problems, or people who generally didn't want me there, life would be miserable from the get go. Hence I considered only small towns with cohesive populations -all white basically- In other words people I had common roots with, common attitudes. The town also had to have a decent proportion of outsiders who had moved there, nullifying the parochial nature of such towns.

Food: I believed it was important to either have a place where I could grow food or be in a region where food and meat was grown in abundance. I chose the latter since any food grown here is also for-sale here, Even the butchers source their product locally.

Nuclear fallout: A big consideration in this day and age, even down here in OZ. I thought it was critical to be well outside the full blast radius of any target, and as important, to be upwind of any fallout. nukemap helped with this as did a study of the prevailing winds in my areas of choice.

A dead End: This only came to me at the last, after I had actually decided on a place. Moving to a town that is off the major highways and up a dead like a valley is a good choice I believe, because with little passing traffic -people in other words- it's easier for the population to keep track of strangers.

Neighbors Close by: Prior to this home I lived on a larger rural property and had trouble with local thieves. Disaffected young locals who would spend their days and evenings roaming the backblocks looking for an easy target. Again if you are an outsider, word gets around, and unlike the homes of the people they grew up with you are fair game. After all, didn't you move in without their permission? Didn't you take a property one of them might have bought if only they had the money. That's right, you are a city slicker, a moneyed up outsider and fair game. Because of this I chose to live in the inner township on a standard suburban block surrounded by neighbors who keep an eye out, we are sticky beaks by nature, it's why we all slow down to look at accidents.

Fitting in: When I moved in I started wearing checked shirts and blue jeans when out in town. I walked slower and stopped to chat with people. It sounds almost silly I know but the wise animal blends in with their surroundings. Thankfully everyone drives nice cars here and many spend money improving their properties so the rest of my life blends in well.

There are no doubt other considerations to take into account when choosing a home, this was my list though and now the die is set, I don't plan to move again.
when moving into a new area, remember they were there first look before you buy and if you don't like what you see don't buy there,,, and never look down your nose at neighbors like they aren't as good as you,,, being new you are the outsider and it is up to you to fit in otherwise you will always be on the outside looking in

Society was important to me. We moved to our farm 11 months ago, but bought it 6 years ago, and would come up every 3 months or so before we moved. I'm in an amish community, and am related some way or another to most people here. The ability to grow food and raise animals for food was important to me, and that works out well for us here with 23 acres.

I have a few requirements for when I'm looking for properties:
1. I buy as far out as possible from a small town. I did. I'm 18 miles outside a town of 500
2. I make sure there are no freeways anywhere close to where I live. Nearest freeway is 2 counties away
3. Good neighbors are far neighbors. My nearest neighbor is at least 5 miles away
5. Buy enough land so that you'll never have close neighbors. I did. Plus I bought a FS inholding. There will never be any private land close to our place
6. Don't buy near any resort or attraction
7. Make sure your land has deeded water. Without water rights you legally can't use the water flowing through your land. May not be an issue in parts of the country
8. Make sure you own the mineral rights. You don't want to see a drill rig show up in your front yard
9. Check to make sure there are no rights-of-ways or easements through you property
10. Check the demographic in your proposed search area. My area suited my desired demographics
11. Make sure you choose a Red state and your new area is conservative
12. Make sure that your new land is productive land and not a rock pile or stump farm

Ideally its best if you can pay cash for your land.

Last edited:
we moved here 12 years ago but we moved out of the city 22 years ago, we lived in a medium sized town in another county before we moved here.
after wife's mother died we decided it was time to come back to our home county. we have been here so long we are now "part of the furniture" as we say here. neighbours are okay, we say "Hello" if we meet on the street but they mostly leave us alone which suits us.

I lucked out 3 years ago. 20 acres, 12 miles from my wife’s clinic, 6 miles off the freeway, the last 3 miles through a park.

The park can be an issue. People will come up my drive. But as they pass 3 Private Property signs on the 800 ft drive, they can’t complain about my welcoming committee in my hand When I greet them.

I am in the boondocks and I know all the neighbors here and I am on ok terms with most of them,,,,,, the best neighbors are the ones who wave as they go by,, I don't want or need anyone stopping by

the only fault this place has is it is far to rocky but I have 2 BROWN THUMBS ,,,so it really doesn't matter

Water sources were my number one consideration in buying this property. Two. Creeks, ponds and a well were what sold me and I don’t even live in a dry area. I’m just wise enough to know how important water is. If I had it all to do over I would be more remote as I do believe we are going to have rough economic times ahead which will bring crime and social unrest with it. The best way to survive social unrest is to be far away from it.

I live 2 miles off the county road behind 3 locked gates. The first gate is a forest service gate, we have our own lock on that gate. The other 2 gates have electric gate openers that are solar powered. We never get any visitors up here that we haven't invited first.
The FS gate keeps most hunters out too. Most are too lazy to walk around a gate.

I have a few requirements for when I'm looking for properties:
1. I buy as far out as possible from a small town. I did. I'm 18 miles outside a town of 500
2. I make sure there are no freeways anywhere close to where I live. Nearest freeway is 2 counties away
3. Good neighbors are far neighbors. My nearest neighbor is at least 5 miles away
5. Buy enough land so that you'll never have close neighbors. I did. Plus I bought a FS inholding. There will never be any private land close to our place
6. Don't buy near any resort or attraction
7. Make sure your land has deeded water. Without water rights you legally can't use the water flowing through your land. May not be an issue in parts of the country
8. Make sure you own the mineral rights. You don't want to see a drill rig show up in your front yard
9. Check to make sure there are no rights-of-ways or easements through you property
10. Check the demographic in your proposed search area. My area suited my desired demographics
11. Make sure you choose a Red state and your new area is conservative
12. Make sure that your new land is productive land and not a rock pile or stump farm

Ideally its best if you can pay cash for your land.
I am fortunate in that I inherited property satisfying all of the above and didn't have to buy it. Long growing season with some of the most fertile land in the world. Moderate winters with maybe 20° lows at times but usually lows in the 30s. The two downsides are that it is hot in the summer and mosquitoes are occasionally a problem, especially when there are wet autumns or mild winters. Surface water available year round but also 1600 ft deep artisian well. Protein sources include squirrels, rabbits, deer, ducks, doves, quail, raccoons, turkeys, beaver, etc. The only one I haven't cooked is beaver but that's because when I killed them I didn't know they were good to eat. In a pinch, snakes, possums and armadillos. (I've eaten armadillo) Native edible plants include muscadines, blackberries galore, palmetto (for heart of palm), chanterelle mushrooms, greens of all sorts, etc. I am sure there are many more that I haven't figured out yet, especially edible tubers.
Mile and half from the county road, which is mainly just a river levee with only local traffic. Three quarters of a mile of field road, a quarter mile of old catfish pond levees (which are all derelict and overgrown) and then a half mile through the woods.

Water sources were my number one consideration in buying this property. Two. Creeks, ponds and a well were what sold me and I don’t even live in a dry area. I’m just wise enough to know how important water is. If I had it all to do over I would be more remote as I do believe we are going to have rough economic times ahead which will bring crime and social unrest with it. The best way to survive social unrest is to be far away from it.

That right there.
After spending a year in Afghanistan, where at the time the country was experiencing a drought and that is saying something, access to fresh water was my first priority.
No water, no life.

When the pandemic first really took off and the lockdowns put into effect by our tyrannical governor, I was standing atop the ridge line. Traffic had slowed to the point I might go nearly an hour without hearing/seeing a vehicle go by.
Had this pandemic been truly horrifying, like a 10-20% mortality rate, I think most people would of borded themselves up in their homes, too afraid to venture out.
So, I do not really see a whole lot of social unrest in my area.
Then again, it is a given around here everyone has a deer rifle, a shotgun and a .22LR at a minimum.

I am fortunate in that I inherited property satisfying all of the above and didn't have to buy it. Long growing season with some of the most fertile land in the world. Moderate winters with maybe 20° lows at times but usually lows in the 30s. The two downsides are that it is hot in the summer and mosquitoes are occasionally a problem, especially when there are wet autumns or mild winters. Surface water available year round but also 1600 ft deep artisian well. Protein sources include squirrels, rabbits, deer, ducks, doves, quail, raccoons, turkeys, beaver, etc. The only one I haven't cooked is beaver but that's because when I killed them I didn't know they were good to eat. In a pinch, snakes, possums and armadillos. (I've eaten armadillo) Native edible plants include muscadines, blackberries galore, palmetto (for heart of palm), chanterelle mushrooms, greens of all sorts, etc. I am sure there are many more that I haven't figured out yet, especially edible tubers.
Mile and half from the county road, which is mainly just a river levee with only local traffic. Three quarters of a mile of field road, a quarter mile of old catfish pond levees (which are all derelict and overgrown) and then a half mile through the woods.
There are definitely easier places to live than where I am. We have deep snows in winter and very dry summers. This year we had a cold dry spring. When it finally warmed up it was already too late for the grass to grow. My cattle have only been on pasture since May 1st and we're already out of grass. I've been moving them around a lot looking for enough grass for them to eat. Every week I take a truck and trailer load to the auction. In many ways where we live is very hard, mainly because of the climate, but we love it here. We have a pond full of fish, although there's a danger of it going dry this year, and lots of deer, elk, bear, turkey, quail and grouse. We have a good garden and orchard site, but again the weather is always a factor as to how well it produces. Our ranch is about 60% timber the rest is a mix of mountain meadows, sage brush covered draws and sloping grass lands.
The best thing going for this area is the very low population. Town population is 500 and the county population is 2800. North and West of us is all wilderness with some of the deepest canyons in the country.

Water
Winter access
Nearness and access to a store/market
Nearness and access to gasoline
Cable/satellite availability
Security--you my need a road in and one out in case of fire but too many roads mean insecurity. Also, no meth-billys.
Friendly political climate in that area.

Of course this is for me, an old retired guy. Others may want schools and other considerations.

Latest posts

Back