Royal Custom knifes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I have stumbled across Royal Custom Knifes a month ago,,,,, these are well made with a near 1/4 thick blade and micarta handles ,,,,,, and the blade is D2 Tool Steel

1640794217463.png
1640794263036.png
1640794312273.png

Nice looking blades.
I have made three knives from D2. While it holds an edge well it's not very tough (which is why you need a 1/4" thick blade to keep from snapping it in two under heavy use) and is a bear to put a fine edge on.

When I worked off shore and some new guy would show up with a Rambo knife(for fighting sharks?) we used to say, "The bigger the blade, the smaller the brain." Now, I like all kinds of blades, but bigger is not always better.

Nice looking blades.
I have made three knives from D2. While it holds an edge well it's not very tough (which is why you need a 1/4" thick blade to keep from snapping it in two under heavy use) and is a bear to put a fine edge on.
tell me what you are using it for that would snap the blade in half,,,, at 65 yrs old the worse I have ever done was snap off a couple tips and you can do that with almost any knife

You can find those knives on Etsy for around $50-65 dollar range, seems that they are custom made in Plainsville N.Y. and sold exclusively on Etsy. They sell several different skinning knives it seems.
I have 2 I bought on Ebay,and 1 on Amazon,,, I think they are a good value and it was mentioned they are hard to sharpen,,,, I no longer worry about that,, I picked up a belt sander sharpening rig I now can put an edge on any knife,,,,,,,,

D2 steel is one of the better blade materials out there and holds a good edge,,, I have all 3 of the above knifes all 3 are sold as skinners the one with the sheath pictured is nearly a 5 inch blade,just a tad big in my opinion,,,the middle photo they call a drop point and is a 4 inch blade the handle is a touch small if you have large hands you won't like it for me it is border line on being to small,,,,,,,, the top photo I have not received yet,the blade is 3 1/2 inches the handle is 4,,, this should be about the perfect size for a skinning knife,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all 3 have the thick blade which I prefer

you can spend a lot more but when you consider the edge retention of D2 steel,,, the price on these knife's really can not be beat

There are much better knife steels than D2 now. This is a recent development because in the last few years there have been a lot of new knife steels developed. Previously knives were made of steel designed for something else (like tool steel or ball bearing steel) but now we have steels designed specifically for knives.

The reason why knife makers like to use D2 is that it is less subject to warpage when heat treated than most other steels, and the dimensions don't change much. But other than that it's not a particularly good knife steel. The only chart where it places in the top half of steels is edge retention. In corrosion resistance and toughness is it down in the bottom half of the charts. Another chart where it would be in the bottom half would be sharpenability.

Three knife steel toughness charts with D2 on each for comparison., one for high carbon low alloy steel, one for high alloy non-stainless steel and one for stainless steel. D2 is at the bottom of all three charts.
EkNX0lc.png

TL7MrGi.jpg

AVN73xI.png

There are much better knife steels than D2 now. This is a recent development because in the last few years there have been a lot of new knife steels developed. Previously knives were made of steel designed for something else (like tool steel or ball bearing steel) but now we have steels designed specifically for knives.

The reason why knife makers like to use D2 is that it is less subject to warpage when heat treated than most other steels, and the dimensions don't change much. But other than that it's not a particularly good knife steel. The only chart where it places in the top half of steels is edge retention. In corrosion resistance and toughness is it down in the bottom half of the charts. Another chart where it would be in the bottom half would be sharpenability.

Three knife steel toughness charts with D2 on each for comparison., one for high carbon low alloy steel, one for high alloy non-stainless steel and one for stainless steel. D2 is at the bottom of all three charts.
this is what I find on the D2,,,,yes it is not easy to sharpen and you can't toss it in salt water and come back in a year and expect it not to be a little rusty,,,but it shines when it comes to toughness and edge retention and it's HRC is very good,,,, take care of it and it will take care of you

I don't have a couple hundred dollars to drop into one knife that most likely will be lost or missed placed every 2 or 3 years

1640897403437.png

Compared to stainless steels (but not carbon steels) that were commonly used just a few years ago for knife making, like 440C, D2 does have decent toughness and excellent edge retention. But that's old information. You hardly ever see knives made from 440C anymore. D2 has better toughness and edge retention than 440C, but worse corrosion resistance. It's corrosion resistance is actually not that bad compared to something like O1, which is what I used back in the 70s for making knives. If you leave some blood on an O1 blade overnight it will pit. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

Compared to stainless steels (but not carbon steels) that were commonly used just a few years ago for knife making, like 440C, D2 does have decent toughness and excellent edge retention. But that's old information. You hardly ever see knives made from 440C anymore. D2 has better toughness and edge retention than 440C, but worse corrosion resistance. It's corrosion resistance is actually not that bad compared to something like O1, which is what I used back in the 70s for making knives. If you leave some blood on an O1 blade overnight it will pit. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:
I have seen carbon blades turn completely black in a few days simply because they were not wiped clean or left in a sheath that had gotten wet ,,,,, just like anything else if you want it to last you must take care of it

Keep an eye out for a brand new particle metallurgy steel called CPM-MagnaCut. It was developed by a leading knife steel metallurgist named Dr. Larren Thomas, whose father is a knife maker, so he grew up steeped in knifemaking. Larren worked with CPM (Crucible Particle Metallurgy) on getting it mass produced and it is just starting to become widely available.
It's truly "cutting edge" stuff! šŸ˜‰
https://knifebasics.com/detailed-cpm-magnacut-steel-review/https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/

I received the last of the knife's in today,,,, and I think this is the better of the three
hollow ground blade the handle is just about the right size and the blade is wide enough I doubt anyone could wear it down even if they had 3 lifetimes to do it in,,,, and the sheath is very well made,,,,,, a lot of bang for the buck in this one

1641243686525.png

Latest posts

Back