Root Veggies

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
Beets, Detroit Dark Red: Grows to full maturity in 58 to 65 days. The Detroit Dark Red beet produces an edible green top and an edible below ground beet. You can harvest the green tops several times during the growing season without hurting the beet below ground. The leaf greens taste great in a salad or you can cook it up like you do collards or turnips. The Detroit Dark Red beet stores well for winter.

Danvers Half Long carrots are excellent for storing, freezing, or canning. I have clay soil for the most part so look for the half longs. But my soil is getting better, so whatever you have locally will work.

White, Yellow or Red Onions typically mature in about 110 to 115 days from seed. I normally start from onion bulbs. I also save my green onions. Use until about 2 inches from root and stick them in the ground to reproduce into a new green onion.

Radish Most radish varieties mature in about 20 to 25 days, but some others take about 50-55 days, depending on the variety. Cherry Belle is a good radish and it matures in about 22 days. Radishes grow reasonably well from early spring through late fall so they are a simple easy way to add a fresh vegetable.

Turnips grows to full maturity in 52 to 55 days. The Purple Top turnip produces an edible green top and an edible below ground turnip. You can usually harvest the green tops several times during the growing season without hurting the turnip below ground. Turnips are usually grown in southern climates whereas rutabagas are typically grown in northern climates. Turnip stores extremely well for the winter.

Peanuts grow in clusters underground to full maturity in 120 to 150 days. Buy a bag of raw peanuts (unsalted, unroasted) at your local grocery store. Peanuts can be eat raw, roasted, or you can easily make your own peanut butter using blender if and some oil.

Radishes sound good, if it only takes 20-25 days I might pick up some seeds. How are radish greens as food?

I heard there was some dumb law where peanuts can only be grown in certain states, but then again that might only be for commercial purposes.

Don't forget Rutabagas. They're easy to grow in the right climate and are delicious.

Don't forget Rutabagas. They're easy to grow in the right climate and are delicious.

Unfortunately they will not grow in my area. My neighbor loves them and if I could, would have planted them for him as he is a disabled soldier from Vietnam. He may not be able to do as much as he used to, being run down and having his back broken from a bull in his cowboy day after the war. He has a lot of knowledge of "prepping". He grew up on a farm and grew up with preparing food, ranching, smoking, drying, ect. He is one to respect and he is one that I will take care of during a time that is hard.

Radishes sound good, if it only takes 20-25 days I might pick up some seeds. How are radish greens as food?

I heard there was some dumb law where peanuts can only be grown in certain states, but then again that might only be for commercial purposes.
Sorry Kenny, but I haven't found a use for the radish greens, except to either compost them or feed them to the chickens or pigs. As for peanuts, I live in one of those states that can grow them, so can not comment on the Northern sates on how well they do.

You can grow peanuts in Minnesota but you need a variety of less days. At best, minnesota can grow 120 days so the normal 160 dsy varieties aren't a good choice. They also like well drained soil but like to be well watered. We researched and ALMOST planted some here but got caught up in other things that yesr and never got back to peanuts.

Latest posts

Back