Root cellar tips?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJenner

God Like
Reaction score
Hubby and I are purchasing 48 acres, some areas of wetlands, other with rock outcropping, plus dirt and a small pond with a nearby cave.
Looking at building a root cellar and trying to decide if it should go under the house or in a separate location altogether. Any tips and thanks in advance.

Hubby and I are purchasing 48 acres, some areas of wetlands, other with rock outcropping, plus dirt and a small pond with a nearby cave.
Looking at building a root cellar and trying to decide if it should go under the house or in a separate location altogether. Any tips and thanks in advance.
Sounds like a grest property. Have you considered using the cave? I agree having it easily accessible is important but could the house be located near it?

1628856734380.png
1628856794244.png
something like this? if I remember right there should be a thread about this here,

Sounds like a grest property. Have you considered using the cave? I agree having it easily accessible is important but could the house be located near it?
I would love to, but it is a smallish area and hard to get to. You have to walk around the pond and its steep with loose rocks, would be very difficult in winter as well. We are going to locate the house across the pond from the cave.

I would love to, but it is a smallish area and hard to get to. You have to walk around the pond and its steep with loose rocks, would be very difficult in winter as well. We are going to locate the house across the pond from the cave.
Choosing the best build site for you home is your first priority. A root cellar is definitely secondary. Just be aware with weather patterns changing what looks dry now may not be in coming years and vice a versa. I have a driveway here with a small creek going under it. Even though I’ve not had a problem in 20 years with it if I could do it over I would have made a much larger culvert system to allow for torrential rains and prevent the possibility of the drive being washed out. At least I do have a new tractor now so I can always make repairs if need be. And my house isn’t in harms way from flooding or weather issues.

Choosing the best build site for you home is your first priority. A root cellar is definitely secondary. Just be aware with weather patterns changing what looks dry now may not be in coming years and vice a versa. I have a driveway here with a small creek going under it. Even though I’ve not had a problem in 20 years with it if I could do it over I would have made a much larger culvert system to allow for torrential rains and prevent the possibility of the drive being washed out. At least I do have a new tractor now so I can always make repairs if need be. And my house isn’t in harms way from flooding or weather issues.

Smart, and true. We did find a good spot. We also have an area that needs a culvert - was thinking of building that up a bit more to account for crazy flooding.

Latest posts

Back