Rolling blackouts

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markcl

VIP Supporter
Reaction score
In our home the fiber optic WiFi has two boxes plugged into 110. One using 12volt 3Amp, the other 12v .6 amp Can someone tell me how to relate that to how Jackery sizes their units, with talk of rolling blackouts I would like to backed up for at least 12 hours?

While the Wife and I are looking more and more to solar we arent quite ready to go all out. We did just get our Dometic 95 CFX fridge and freezer and plan on a large solar set up in the next month or so. We're thinking about going with the Bluetti system in the EP500 Pro. Which runs $8400 in the pro model.
1654640189060.png

It provides plenty of power and claims it will run a small home for two days,A/C included.

We're also looking at the 2*AC300 + 4*B300 +P030A +6*PV200 for $14,900.
It's expandable so you can always add more batteries.
1654640318102.png

With summer coming and the possibility of rolling blackouts at hand we have a Honda EU7000ie that will power around half our home.
Of course with gas prices being what they are a new solar set up is high on our list.

While the Wife and I are looking more and more to solar we arent quite ready to go all out. We did just get our Dometic 95 CFX fridge and freezer and plan on a large solar set up in the next month or so. We're thinking about going with the Bluetti system in the EP500 Pro. Which runs $8400 in the pro model.
View attachment 16549

It provides plenty of power and claims it will run a small home for two days,A/C included.

We're also looking at the 2*AC300 + 4*B300 +P030A +6*PV200 for $14,900.
It's expandable so you can always add more batteries.
View attachment 16550

With summer coming and the possibility of rolling blackouts at hand we have a Honda EU7000ie that will power around half our home.
Of course with gas prices being what they are a new solar set up is high on our list.
Seems kind of pricy to me for a system that will only run your house for two days. Even with today's fuel prices you can run a generator for a long time.
I don't recognize the components in your post above. Is that batteries and solar panels? Where's the inverter?
I'm sold on solar and love our system. I plan to add another 5 panels, plus a wind turbine in order to cut down our generator run time.

It looks like a FB ad type of system. Way overpriced.

@Markcl i can’t help you cause I have my genset wired to my Sat internet, Sat TV , TV wall for emergencies. The 12 hrs timeframe seems kinda of weak to look at spending money on.
Thinking bigger, might be cheaper.

Seems kind of pricy to me for a system that will only run your house for two days. Even with today's fuel prices you can run a generator for a long time.
I don't recognize the components in your post above. Is that batteries and solar panels? Where's the inverter?
I'm sold on solar and love our system. I plan to add another 5 panels, plus a wind turbine in order to cut down our generator run time.
Over priced.
You can get a 12kw solar system, lithium batteries, 18- 340 watt panels for $20k

I am not so sold on solar. But I don’t have battery back up.
I had half the size system in the old house an the utility would pay me. Here, in a smaller house with twice the size system And I have to pay every May.
Adding a power wall or 2, I may be able to go totally off grid. This house was off grid for its first 20 years With just a Gen. 1 battery bank could be enough for everyday savings, 2 could take me totally off.
I do recognize one of my weaknesses is that I have to hook a second Gen up to the deep well pump in SHTF To fill my 5k water tank.
Its all about where to allocate the resources.

I just don’t want to have to start generator for WiFi if summer rolling blackouts do happen, I have other problems covered……I hope
You can add an auto start to your generator in case of power loss. I have an auto start on my backup generator. Its set to automatically start my generator when my battery bank drops below 23 volts.

If the rolling blackouts are controlled like in the past it would be only 6 to 12 hours, I think that a small Jackery power station would keep my WiFi up and be the cheapest way to go but I just need help to figure out how big is enough.

I got an idea that Biden & Company has different ideas for the unfriendly Midwest and SE parts of the US - they have nothing to lose by siphoning off the generated power and sending it to their support states like CA ....

Thats two days without charging.
Still researching,kinda makes me lean to the expandable set up.
Everything is built in.

Over priced.
You can get a 12kw solar system, lithium batteries, 18- 340 watt panels for $20k

Like I said I'm new to the whole solar thing. What I like about the Bluetti stuff is it's plug and play.
This is the largest set up they sell as a package. It goes for $22,000 and it's expandable.
1654700349022.png

Whats so important about keeping a WIFI running if the power will only be down for a few hours? I dont even have WIFI, whatever that is, or internet, so I dont understand. Many times my phone service is down for a day or two. No big deal.
My iPad is WiFi only , I read books free from state library, and keep up with the world on my schedule, not needed but more for my pleasure and enjoyment

Whats so important about keeping a WIFI running if the power will only be down for a few hours? I dont even have WIFI, whatever that is, or internet, so I dont understand. Many times my phone service is down for a day or two. No big deal.
If you don't have Internet, how are you posting on an Internet forum?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back