Rice and pop bottles

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works pretty good. I use the pop bottles to store a lot of things in my kitchen cupboard and just refill as needed from the pantry. I've got some orzo pasta in a pop bottle that's a couple of years old, I used some the other day and it was fine.

using the pop bottles for dried goods is there anything special you have to do to prepare them to use them?

gman89, thanks for posting this as I was thinking of asking the same question!

How would these Soda bottles hold up in 110+ degree weather down to -20 degree weather? Not sure if anyone could really answer this question.

They should be fine as long as they are not in direct sunlight and kept dry. All you need to do is wash them out well and make sure that they are totally dry before you fill them.

Not as well unfortunately. It's a different kind of plastic. If you drink juice, those bottles work. What you might want to try is going to your local market, not walmart and go to the bakery and ask for their used icing buckets. They usually give them away or charge a buck for them. If they are free, you'll have to wash them, but no biggie and the lids fit nice and tight. I use these for everything and it's uncle. I don't mess with the mylar and O2 thingies, that's just me. I've not had a problem. I just toss a few bay leaves in whatever it is I'm storing and pop the lid on, good to go.

110103476_12-15-10.jpg

This wont work is what you are saying?

Sounds good to me! I will just ask my friends and family to start saving their 2 liter bottles!

bury anything deep enough and the temperature becomes more and more stable, got a decent post hole digger and a wide steel pipe?

I thought you meant the pebbled plastic water containers similar to the milk containers. The ones you show should work just fine. It's the pebbled plastic that breaks down over a short period of time. If you are worried about the caps, you can always fill your jug, put your cap on tight, flip it over and dip it into melted wax to seal it.

If you want to bury stuff, I'd use PVC pipe with sealed cap ends, it won't rust through. Just remember where you put it. And before you use the 'I can find it with a metal detector' argument, so can someone else. PVC pipe sealed well and a well oiled rifle wrapped properly can also be buried safely.

Thanks for the info, I have a 55 gal fish tank that I have been using distilled water on over once in a while, going to start using those gallon jugs instead of paying a fortune on Mylar bags and buckets.

Latest posts

Back