Rice and Beans

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravery

Reaction score
My family and I (wife, teenage boy, and myself) are pretty new to prepping. I have bought about 90 lbs of different kinds of rice and about 5 gallons worth of different kinds of beans. My question is what is the rice to beans ratio that I should be shooting for?
confused.gif

We don't have a lot of money so I wanted to get something now as a staple and then build on it with the finer things in life (canned chicken, canned beef, canned ... ). To head off people telling me I need more than rice and beans to eat... please understand that I know I need to add other things to our diet but that will come in time. If the SHTF, I want to be able to feed my family something and with the Obama economy the way it is... I have/want to start building my emergency supply with rice and beans.

So any ideas about the rice:beans ratio?
THANKS!

Do you like rice twice as much as beans?
or would you rather have beans 3 times as much as rice?
give me a idea of how often you would like to switch, and which one you like more, and I can give you that ratio PDQ.

Do you like rice twice as much as beans?
or would you rather have beans 3 times as much as rice?
give me a idea of how often you would like to switch, and which one you like more, and I can give you that ratio PDQ.
Now that you say it like that...it makes sense. I think I would like it 50/50. I know rice really swells when it is cooked. Does that answer help?

They can be mixed, they can be made seperate. Its just a preference thing man. I could eat beans 6 days a week, if I have cornbread LOL
I would eat a neighbor before I ate rice, never liked it. But hey each to thier own. LOL

Rice and beans are food and are cheap and you can buy in bulk almost anywhere. But just like Hades said about cornbread, if you got that much get as much or even more for corn bread.

They can be mixed, they can be made seperate. Its just a preference thing man. I could eat beans 6 days a week, if I have cornbread LOL
I would eat a neighbor before I ate rice, never liked it. But hey each to thier own. LOL
When I first joined the military and was living in the dorms my meal of choice was beans with a ton of franks red hot sauce thrown on it. Lol

When I first joined the military and was living in the dorms my meal of choice was beans with a ton of franks red hot sauce thrown on it. Lol
Military ... Dorms?!? Were you in the Air Force?

I lived a year in China and I ate ramen noodles almost every night and I found some chili garlic thick sauce (it was more of a paste than a sauce) and it made it bearable! We are definitely storing up some hot sauce.

I dont think you should look at a ratio between the two, Just get as much as you can of both. Rice is the ultimate filler though you can add it to almost any main course and make that meal stretch out filling more people or feeding fewer longer. Any thoughts on oatmeal?

That's what made them so mean!
It was supposed to build up a layer of fat, so when the other guy got lucky and cut you, you have some cushin before his blade did any damage. They did a chem analysis of the bones of a Gladiator.

8th ID Pathfinders! I was stationed at Lee barracks from 1988-1990. Made me smile when I seen the crazy 8 patch!
I put the patch up because I just wanted to change up my avatar. I would have loved to have been stationed in Mainz. When I was going to Germany, I was hoping and praying that I would be stationed in a small duty station near a big city... I got just the opposite.... a big duty station near a small town ... Baumholder. I was there in the 80s ... the good old days when Reagan was President and the dollar was strong! I was spending money there like it was going out of style, traveling just about every weekend I didn't have duty (and even sometimes when I did - I was amazed that some people would take my weekend guard duty for only $20), I came home with nothing but memories!

When are you going to put up your avatar?

I put the patch up because I just wanted to change up my avatar. I would have loved to have been stationed in Mainz. When I was going to Germany, I was hoping and praying that I would be stationed in a small duty station near a big city... I got just the opposite.... a big duty station near a small town ... Baumholder. I was there in the 80s ... the good old days when Reagan was President and the dollar was strong! I was spending money there like it was going out of style, traveling just about every weekend I didn't have duty (and even sometimes when I did - I was amazed that some people would take my weekend guard duty for only $20), I came home with nothing but memories!

When are you going to put up your avatar?

Ugh, Baumholder o_O Been there a few times and was about tore up by a huge pack of wild pigs.. I have a friend thats stationed there now and will be going back this summer to visit for a week or so.

I will most likely put up my avatar later this evening

Ugh, Baumholder o_O Been there a few times and was about tore up by a huge pack of wild pigs.. I have a friend thats stationed there now and will be going back this summer to visit for a week or so.

What is that? Watches?

I have a couple of funny stories about the German boars (not the ones that hung out in the bars but the ones in the woods) at Graf. I will tell one of them...

I took a short cut through the woods by myself to get to the little PX they had there. Going through the woods was off limits but I did it anyway because it was shorter. Well, going to the PX was fine but on the way back I heard this rustling in the bushes just a head off the path. So, I stopped not sure of what it was. Then out popped this HUGE HUGE I mean really HUGE boar. It was about 5 to 6 feet away from me.

Then all these little babies went running out of the woods across the path and into the woods on the other side. The monster boar just stayed there looking at me.

I had no weapon, no stick, there wasn't even a good sized tree that I could easily climb to get way if it charged. True story! I can't believe that my mind cleared and I remembered reading that animals can sense fear. SO I thought, "what is the opposite of fear?", I reasoned it was aggression. Again true story, I had this gargantuan beast right in front of me, so I didn't want to get any closer to it so I figured the only thing I could do to show aggression was to grunt and growl. So I did just that.

Well, this little show of aggression on my part really pissed the boar off. It started grunting and pawing the ground... I learned something about myself in that moment. I learned that no matter what fear I face in the future I wouldn't ever piss myself. I knew this because I was so scared at that moment, more so then than any time in my life ... and I would have been ok with myself if I did piss myself... but I didn't.

The boar moved about 6 inches closer (it was already close so that little difference was way too close). I then figured I needed to act. So I ever so slowly backed up... I back up to about 10 feet away and the boar then quickly bolted into the woods. I stood there for about 5 minutes ...

Well the moral of the story is....
I DIDN'T PISS MYSELF.

You must have done your kegals at boot camp LOL
You couldnt pee cause you were too scared and your PC muscles had you locked up. I bet you had to after she left, before you left the woods, I would have.
Been there, well not there , LOL. I was hunting Just outside of Grandview State Park in WV. Tracy Hylton ( he is like a new age tycoon, owning coal mines, land leases, and other companies in southern wv and who knows where else) had some russian hogs brought over for him to hunt, they escaped and ravage the mountains of Southern WV to this day. Anyways I was hunting the area and found myself pretty much ambushed with a
rock wall on one side, drop off on other, too far to go back around the bench ( hillbilly term for the flat area on the side of a hill between a wall and a dropoff LOL) that was probably 30 feet wide, didnt have real good trees on it to climb but I saw a big boulder that had rolled off the cliff wall to the rt of me, I could tell they were getting closer, so i climbed on that rock, maybe 5" tall, and watched this parade of hogs pass me by. You couldnt have drove a needle in my ### with a sledgehammer, but I didnt pee either. I sat there for a hour once they were gone, I had to pee bad once it was over.
did you use that shortcut after that?

We eat lots of beans and rice in the South. Add onion, garlic, and such, cook the beans until tender. You can add cheaper meats for flavoring, such as pieces of sausage, ham, smoked pig's feet (no, not one of my favorite, but really tasty). Makes the meat go further, adds extra protein to the meal. Then serve the whole thing over rice. Just a suggestion, learn to cook and eat new foods NOW. When times get bad, you need filling, cheap, comfort foods. That isn't the time to try and get your kids to eat "strange" meals. Note, rice can be served as a warm cereal with sugar (brown or white), maybe some raisins and milk. Not my favorite, but kids will eat anything sweet....and it is good for energy. Or the rice, sugar, raisins and milk can be mixed and baked for a rice pudding. Rice is wonderful for stretching meals. Very fattening, but I love warm rice with just plain butter. And cornbread is just heaven, especially with butter and homemade jam.

We eat lots of beans and rice in the South. Add onion, garlic, and such, cook the beans until tender. You can add cheaper meats for flavoring, such as pieces of sausage, ham, smoked pig's feet (no, not one of my favorite, but really tasty). Makes the meat go further, adds extra protein to the meal. Then serve the whole thing over rice. Just a suggestion, learn to cook and eat new foods NOW. When times get bad, you need filling, cheap, comfort foods. That isn't the time to try and get your kids to eat "strange" meals. Note, rice can be served as a warm cereal with sugar (brown or white), maybe some raisins and milk. Not my favorite, but kids will eat anything sweet....and it is good for energy. Or the rice, sugar, raisins and milk can be mixed and baked for a rice pudding. Rice is wonderful for stretching meals. Very fattening, but I love warm rice with just plain butter. And cornbread is just heaven, especially with butter and homemade jam.
Great job Olivia!! Now I'm really hungry. I'm coming over to your place for dinner!!! :)

Latest posts

Back