Rice and Beans

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She was either open kettle canning (big no-no nowadays) or she was waterbath canning most likely. Was it jellies and pickles you helped with?

Go get yourself a Presto canner from Wally world and get to work. It's easy peasy.

I can walk you through it. You want to get the Ball Blue Book of canning and preserving, it'll be with the canners. With a pressure canner, you can use it as a water bath canner as well so you don't need to buy one.

I'm thinking they run $60 or less and it's a good size so it's not a bitch to lift off of the burner. I have a few of them so I can rotate what I'm processing and I don't have to wait for the steam to exhaust before using the canner.

Ok... this seems like a lot of rice but I saw this on an LDS website:

The following suggested amounts are for one adult.
Quantity for One Month​
Recommended Products​
11.5 kg./ 25 lbs per adult per month
Wheat, white rice, corn, and other grains
2.5 kg. / 5 lbs per adult per month
Dry beans

On a grain heavy diet, that seems about right if you are planning to feed bulky carbs to fill people up.

My family and I (wife, teenage boy, and myself) are pretty new to prepping. I have bought about 90 lbs of different kinds of rice and about 5 gallons worth of different kinds of beans. My question is what is the rice to beans ratio that I should be shooting for?
confused.gif

We don't have a lot of money so I wanted to get something now as a staple and then build on it with the finer things in life (canned chicken, canned beef, canned ... ). To head off people telling me I need more than rice and beans to eat... please understand that I know I need to add other things to our diet but that will come in time. If the SHTF, I want to be able to feed my family something and with the Obama economy the way it is... I have/want to start building my emergency supply with rice and beans.

So any ideas about the rice:beans ratio?
THANKS!
rice is a filler beans are protein!

Latest posts

Back