Review KombatUK Navigation bag (Used as GHB)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I have been using this multi-function back for a short while now and thought I would share my findings with you. It is a British owned company I turned to for this piece of kit (www.kombatuk.com) which they sell at £37.50 on E bay but charge £49.95 (May2014) at their online shop.
This bag I assume is made in the Far East but the quality is definitely 100% western, I believe it is constructed from Cordura perhaps around the 1000 denier rating; this makes the bag feel very solid.
It has high quality two way zips on every pocket /pouch/ compartment. The stitching is first rate clearly to mil spec with double, triple and multi stitching and re-enforcement patches of all its components such as the THREE GRAB HANDLES ( top, left side, right side), and the D RING mounts for the QD adjustable PADDED ADJUSTABLE SHOULDER STRAP are equally re-enforced and cross stitched.
The carry options are enhanced with the discovery of a full BACK PACK type PADDED SHOULDER HARNESS stashed away in a hidden compartment on the back of the bag, great if you need a totally hands free carry at some point such as bugging out on foot.
The main storage compartment is secured by a full length TWO WAY ZIPPER and two FASTEX type catches and also a VELCRO fastening two part rap around GRAB HANDLE. The main compartment can be compressed by webbing straps or expanded further by releasing a full length rap around zipper that increases capacity by about 20%. There are multiple elasticated sub compartments inside the main compartment.
On the front of the pack is TWO POUCHES one with MOLLE webbing points and the other with VELCRO Patch mounting panels and a clear plastic personal details panel. Both pouches have an elasticated internal sub panel for storing admin or maps etc and the MOLLE pouch also has a QD Fastex O ring hanger affixed on the inside.
A front flat pocket is provided that is accessed via a zip located in between the two external pouches.
One other very interesting feature is that the entire side panel that the two external pouches attach to can be opened by unfastening two side mounted Fastex couplings and a long Velcro strip. This gives you access to another compartment (Not water resistant) where you can put a laptop or tablet
PC or large maps etc. There are also two nylon flat pockets on the side of this compartment secured by a single zip of each pocket.
The bag was apparently designed for Navigators who need a role specific type of bag to transporting, Maps, Note books, GPS gear, Compasses etc and the multi pocket aspect of the bag makes it very appealing to preppers.
With the plethora of D rings and Molle points other pouches or bags can easily be attached. I think this bag will fulfil the GHB role I have planned for it and I think it should easily carry enough kit and supplies to last me in excess of 48 hours if loaded wisely.
The bag is available in Olive Drab or Matt Black.
http://www.kombatuk.com/view.php?ViewProduct=891

For my own GHB needs I will be able to fasten my Sebastien Flute archery TDR bag or carry it separately to the Nav bag thus providing the security component of the GHB.
Contents wise my GHB will contain much less kit than a full blown Bug Out Bag as the extended range / time aspect of a BOB will not be as critical.
So my bag should ideally contain (not allowing for errant wife “borrowing” bits n pieces)
Lock Knife
Multi Tool
AA LED Flashlight and spare batteries (long life AA energiser lithium)
Fire lighting kit
Small First Aid Kit / blister kit
Ration/energy/nutrition bars, dried fruit, mixed nuts etc
1 litre water (alloy water bottle)
Lifestraw and Puritabs
Notebook and pen
Tactical Pen
Monocular
Baofeng UV5RC PMR 446 radio plus longer antenna and extra battery**
Battery eliminator adaptor for vehicles for Baofeng UV5RC
Mini personal hygiene kit (soap bar, toothbrush, toothpaste, glasses cleaner, hand sanitizer etc)
Hat
Gloves
Bandana
Compass
Para-cord
Mini pry bar
Centre punch
Gerber artefact tool
Chemical Light Sticks
Maps
Bug Out Notes
Prescription tinted eye glasses
Dust mask (disposable)
Pack of baby wipes
Pack of kitchen roll paper towels
Tea towel
There will still be more than enough space for extra rations if required and extra clothing if needed
** my intention is to obtain or make a small portable 160 mm dipole antenna to extended the operational range of the PMR 446 radios, if successful similar antenna will be obtained for wife and sons GHBs as well. The hard bit is getting the concept so that when disassembled it is all less than
200 mm long and 25 mm wide.

I have been using this multi-function back for a short while now and thought I would share my findings with you. It is a British owned company I turned to for this piece of kit (www.kombatuk.com) which they sell at £37.50 on E bay but charge £49.95 (May2014) at their online shop.
This bag I assume is made in the Far East but the quality is definitely 100% western, I believe it is constructed from Cordura perhaps around the 1000 denier rating; this makes the bag feel very solid.
It has high quality two way zips on every pocket /pouch/ compartment. The stitching is first rate clearly to mil spec with double, triple and multi stitching and re-enforcement patches of all its components such as the THREE GRAB HANDLES ( top, left side, right side), and the D RING mounts for the QD adjustable PADDED ADJUSTABLE SHOULDER STRAP are equally re-enforced and cross stitched.
The carry options are enhanced with the discovery of a full BACK PACK type PADDED SHOULDER HARNESS stashed away in a hidden compartment on the back of the bag, great if you need a totally hands free carry at some point such as bugging out on foot.
The main storage compartment is secured by a full length TWO WAY ZIPPER and two FASTEX type catches and also a VELCRO fastening two part rap around GRAB HANDLE. The main compartment can be compressed by webbing straps or expanded further by releasing a full length rap around zipper that increases capacity by about 20%. There are multiple elasticated sub compartments inside the main compartment.
On the front of the pack is TWO POUCHES one with MOLLE webbing points and the other with VELCRO Patch mounting panels and a clear plastic personal details panel. Both pouches have an elasticated internal sub panel for storing admin or maps etc and the MOLLE pouch also has a QD Fastex O ring hanger affixed on the inside.
A front flat pocket is provided that is accessed via a zip located in between the two external pouches.
One other very interesting feature is that the entire side panel that the two external pouches attach to can be opened by unfastening two side mounted Fastex couplings and a long Velcro strip. This gives you access to another compartment (Not water resistant) where you can put a laptop or tablet
PC or large maps etc. There are also two nylon flat pockets on the side of this compartment secured by a single zip of each pocket.
The bag was apparently designed for Navigators who need a role specific type of bag to transporting, Maps, Note books, GPS gear, Compasses etc and the multi pocket aspect of the bag makes it very appealing to preppers.
With the plethora of D rings and Molle points other pouches or bags can easily be attached. I think this bag will fulfil the GHB role I have planned for it and I think it should easily carry enough kit and supplies to last me in excess of 48 hours if loaded wisely.
The bag is available in Olive Drab or Matt Black.
http://www.kombatuk.com/view.php?ViewProduct=891

For my own GHB needs I will be able to fasten my Sebastien Flute archery TDR bag or carry it separately to the Nav bag thus providing the security component of the GHB.
Contents wise my GHB will contain much less kit than a full blown Bug Out Bag as the extended range / time aspect of a BOB will not be as critical.
So my bag should ideally contain (not allowing for errant wife “borrowing” bits n pieces)
Lock Knife
Multi Tool
AA LED Flashlight and spare batteries (long life AA energiser lithium)
Fire lighting kit
Small First Aid Kit / blister kit
Ration/energy/nutrition bars, dried fruit, mixed nuts etc
1 litre water (alloy water bottle)
Lifestraw and Puritabs
Notebook and pen
Tactical Pen
Monocular
Baofeng UV5RC PMR 446 radio plus longer antenna and extra battery**
Battery eliminator adaptor for vehicles for Baofeng UV5RC
Mini personal hygiene kit (soap bar, toothbrush, toothpaste, glasses cleaner, hand sanitizer etc)
Hat
Gloves
Bandana
Compass
Para-cord
Mini pry bar
Centre punch
Gerber artefact tool
Chemical Light Sticks
Maps
Bug Out Notes
Prescription tinted eye glasses
Dust mask (disposable)
Pack of baby wipes
Pack of kitchen roll paper towels
Tea towel
There will still be more than enough space for extra rations if required and extra clothing if needed
** my intention is to obtain or make a small portable 160 mm dipole antenna to extended the operational range of the PMR 446 radios, if successful similar antenna will be obtained for wife and sons GHBs as well. The hard bit is getting the concept so that when disassembled it is all less than
200 mm long and 25 mm wide.

Great Post...Raider...welcome back...didn't get to tell you that, but smiling that you elected to return. Just way to busy in July and with August, here...well will be really busy. I will check the pack out...nothing beats a good Bergen though.

Latest posts

Back