Requesting EMP gasket ideas for 55-gallon drum

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Enstine

Reaction score
Background: I have a virtually new 55-gallon steel drum with a steel, removable lid. It held cooking oil. The lid had a foam gasket which I removed. The lid and the drum rim have less than perfect 360 degrees of metal-to-metal contact, but close and certainly not sufficient. As is, it easily blocks FM, but not 4G Cellular. I added the rim ring—it’s loose since I removed the gasket in the lid. I can still ping my phone. The drum and lid pair in vertical u-channel and the ring is a horizontal u-channel. Apparently the cell signal ping-pongs perfectly to reach the phone.

Any suggestions on how to make a lid gasket, that will allow for easy access to my electronics? I don’t want to nest with foil as I pull out my radios, multimeter, etc often enough to disqualify that method. TIA

Metal sealant tape. It's cheap enough to reseal each time. Test it out.
Metal sealant tape. It's cheap enough to reseal each time. Test it out.
here is what I did…

I bought 15’ of 1/2” round gap foam ($4.60) and 50’ of 2” conductive tape ($17) and have two drums $15 each. ( I rolled the tape onto the foam (like rolling a joint 🤣). I butted the ends together and wrapped a small piece of tape to closed the loop. I inserted it into the groove on the drum lid. With even pressure on the lid by weight or the ring, I easily block the cell signal from the cell tower about 1/4 mile from my location. My test method was simply placing my iPhone (4G) in the drum, sealing it and using my iPad and the Find My Phone app to see the phone location and initiate the audible ping alert. Result, no ping and “unavailable.” So it works perfectly against 4G.

it’s proven successful for frequencies of 4G and logically lower frequencies with longer radio waves. Any ideas how to test higher frequencies? Or, is it even necessary?

Last edited:
here is what I did…

I bought 15’ of 1/2” round gap foam ($4.60) and 50’ of 2” conductive tape ($17) and have two drums $15 each. ( I rolled the tape onto the foam (like rolling a joint 🤣). I butted the ends together and wrapped a small piece of tape to closed the loop. I inserted it into the groove on the drum lid. With even presser on the lid by weight or the ring, I easily block the cell signal from the cell tower about 1/4 mile from my location. My test method was simply placing my iPhone (4G) in the drum, sealing it and using my iPad and the Find My Phone app to see the phone location and initiate the audible ping alert. Result, no ping and “unavailable.” So it works perfectly against 4G.

So, it’s proven successful for frequencies of 4G and lower. Any ideas how to test higher frequencies?

Get a frequency meter that reads the appropriate ranges. Place a device that's transmitting 5G or desired frequencies, place it inside, seal it and test it with meter next to the container. First test it without container closed and without being sealed.

Background: I have a virtually new 55-gallon steel drum with a steel, removable lid. It held cooking oil. The lid had a foam gasket which I removed. The lid and the drum rim have less than perfect 360 degrees of metal-to-metal contact, but close and certainly not sufficient. As is, it easily blocks FM, but not 4G Cellular. I added the rim ring—it’s loose since I removed the gasket in the lid. I can still ping my phone. The drum and lid pair in vertical u-channel and the ring is a horizontal u-channel. Apparently the cell signal ping-pongs perfectly to reach the phone.

Any suggestions on how to make a lid gasket, that will allow for easy access to my electronics? I don’t want to nest with foil as I pull out my radios, multimeter, etc often enough to disqualify that method. TIA
We use to use some stuff to seal manhole covers to keep them from moving but I don't recall what it was called that may work...I do not know what the price of it is now though. Maybe to expensive for what your wanting though.

Latest posts

Back