Replicating and modifying a holster.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe SA

Demi-God
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1440913419559.jpg

This is an inside pants holster which i am going to replicate and modify so as to be able to fit a pistol fitted with a tactical torch. We have already established that the bottom part of the holster needs to be made the same width as where the trigger guard is. What i`ll do firts is to pull the whole thing apart, so as to make a pattern from it, will also be keeping the belt clip so as to fit it on the new holster.

uploadfromtaptalk1440920422052.jpg

Pulled apart, i discovered that manufacturer glued two pieces of canvas to a very thin piece of closed cell neoprene (closed cell neoprene can`t absorb moisture). I will be replacing the neoprene with a thin piece of plastic (kitchen cutting board), my choice. You will also notice that there is a piece webbing, this was fitted on the inside of the holster to prevent wear and tear on the fabric from the from the pistols sights. Now its time to create the pattern/template.

uploadfromtaptalk1440921834591.jpg

I traced out the outline of the main body onto a piece of cardbord, added the extra dimensions to the bottom of the holster for the tactical torch. Added a 10 mm edge to the whole layout this will give you the space to stitch on. Note on the pattern i have made some notes, its the length of webbing needed and what pieces needs to be cut. I also marked the the place where the clip needs to be fitted. Close to the top is also two "stars" these are the marks where you wil stop stitching once the main body is folded over and stiched together. Now to cut the pieces.

Would it not be cheaper and more effective to simply by or bulk buy some of that Kydex that many gun and knife owners race so much over and make a custom built slimline holster?? Just wondering aloud not criticising?

Would it not be cheaper and more effective to simply by or bulk buy some of that Kydex that many gun and knife owners race so much over and make a custom built slimline holster?? Just wondering aloud not criticising?
Yes it would, but this is also about skills, SHTF where you gonna buy Kydex if you haven`t stocked up some, the same principles can be used to recreate any piece of equipment (pouches, scabbards, plate carriers, battle jackets, shoes, trousers, shirts, etc.) and every thing can be made from leather as well, hopefully those illegals didnt get their grubby little hands on all the game.

uploadfromtaptalk1440932205501.jpg

Two pieces of canvass (about D300), colour, camo pattern, your own choice. You will notice that the piece of plastic is that 10mm smaller than the other two canvas pieces, you also need to transfer the stitch marks onto the canvas.

uploadfromtaptalk1440935519613.jpg

Mark and pin back the top edge so to form a 10mm seam at the top. This is done from stitchmark to stitchmark at the top. Cut a slit at each stichmark into the edge of the material. At the round edges at the top you will notice that the material bobles up, cut slits into them but not totally up the newly formed edge, this will flatten it out and make it easier to sow.

uploadfromtaptalk1440938031522.jpg

This is what the top edge of the holster should look like after stitching down the seam.

uploadfromtaptalk1440939113400.jpg

Now pin together the two pieces of canvas (inside out). Stitch the two pieces together along the bottom (10mm from the edge).

uploadfromtaptalk1440940170429.jpg

This is what it should look like stitched together, notice at the bottom edges i have made to different cuts to the material. The one i`ll call a v notch the other a cross notch, these are made so as to prevent the material from bunching up when the sleeve is turned right side out.

uploadfromtaptalk1440949021034.jpg

Turn the whole thing inside out / right side out, use a steam iron to iron down the seams, nice and flat. Insert the plastic sheet, trim the plastic around the edges if needs be. Now stitch around the edge (5mm). When finished it should look like this.

uploadfromtaptalk1440949361301.jpg

What i`fe done here was to ad a piece of binding to the top edge of the holster. The binding is an inch wide. Scorch the ends with a lighter to keep them from fraying.

uploadfromtaptalk1440949752963.jpg

Finished stitching on the binding, notice at the left and right ends of it has been stitched with a buttonhole stich also to prevent fraying. On the left is a piece of webbing, cut to the length needed for this holster, ends also scortched with a lighter.

uploadfromtaptalk1440950440802.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1440950454835.jpg

Pin and stich the webbing in place. First pic is the outside second the inside of the holster. Stitch right round the edges of the webbing.

uploadfromtaptalk1440950893462.jpg

Handstitch the clip in place with a strong nylon thread, you be even able to get hold of kevlar thread as well. Double check on wich side you put the clip, on the view like this on the left side, it will be for a right handed person, if placed on the other side it will be for a left handed person, remember this is an inside pants holster. Now the only thing left to do is to fold it over and stitch the bottom edge and the side edge together. The bottom edge should not be stitched right through to the other side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back