Removing Smells from 5 Gallon Buckets

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravery

Reaction score
Well, I just bought ten 5 gallon buckets that had pickles in them. If you don't know... the smell of pickles is pretty strong. In the past I just used Baking Soda to get the smell out (it worked). Even though it worked I was wondering what you use (hopefully it is better). The woman I got them from said they use bleach to get the smell out (the good thing about using bleach is that it will be free of microbes (for the most part).

Well, I just bought ten 5 gallon buckets that had pickles in them. If you don't know... the smell of pickles is pretty strong. In the past I just used Baking Soda to get the smell out (it worked). Even though it worked I was wondering what you use (hopefully it is better). The woman I got them from said they use bleach to get the smell out (the good thing about using bleach is that it will be free of microbes (for the most part).

That's a good topic, i found this. I don't know if it works but here you go.

Check the recycle number on the plastic and verify they are really food safe. Then fill the buckets with water and pour a cup of vinegar per gallon. Let it sit overnight. Empty the bucket and fill with water again. put a cup of baking soda in and stir it around. Let it soak overnight. Guarantee this will eliminate all odors from the plastic.

Check the recycle number on the plastic and verify they are really food safe. Then fill the buckets with water and pour a cup of vinegar per gallon. Let it sit overnight. Empty the bucket and fill with water again. put a cup of baking soda in and stir it around. Let it soak overnight. Guarantee this will eliminate all odors from the plastic.
Finally a way that doesn't require bleach. Yes, bleach makes me a tad bit nervous. I fear poisoning myself with bleach.

Finally a way that doesn't require bleach. Yes, bleach makes me a tad bit nervous. I fear poisoning myself with bleach.
What do you fear about bleach? (Not trying to flame you or trying to be critical at all... just wondering ... you probably know something that I don't) It kills just about all viruses and bacteria and then it rather quickly breaks down (especially in the presence of heat and/or sunlight) into NaCl (table salt).

Mind you if you drink it straight like Nadia Comaneci tried to do; it would be very bad.

Vinegar is a WONDERFUL and highly underrated cleaner!! We own a commercial and residential cleaning company, and we use vinegar all the time. I will skip the vinegar process since the buckets were used to hold pickles and pickle juice is largely vinegar based. I will use the baking soda.

Thanks for your input!!!

What do you fear about bleach? (Not trying to flame you or trying to be critical at all... just wondering ... you probably know something that I don't) It kills just about all viruses and bacteria and then it rather quickly breaks down (especially in the presence of heat and/or sunlight) into NaCl (table salt).

Mind you if you drink it straight like Nadia Comaneci tried to do; it would be very bad.
I get nervous around harsh chemicals used in the cleaning of food containers. Especially since I do not fully understand them. I have no fear of using chlorine bleach in cleaning clothes. I know part of my fear comes from not researching it fully, or educating myself more on the uses of bleach.

I get nervous around harsh chemicals used in the cleaning of food containers. Especially since I do not fully understand them. I have no fear of using chlorine bleach in cleaning clothes. I know part of my fear comes from not researching it fully, or educating myself more on the uses of bleach.
Ya and it taste horrible.

Well, the on going saga with the pickle buckets continues.

Ok, I first should say that I have been really busy and haven't really done much with the buckets... they are still on my back patio some filled with water and baking soda and some that are empty (that previously had water and baking soda in them). Well, the smell is still there. I know the baking soda works so I am going back and increase the amount of it. I didn't use much at all because we had run low. Now I have a whole fresh bag of it.

Well, the on going saga with the pickle buckets continues.

Ok, I first should say that I have been really busy and haven't really done much with the buckets... they are still on my back patio some filled with water and baking soda and some that are empty (that previously had water and baking soda in them). Well, the smell is still there. I know the baking soda works so I am going back and increase the amount of it. I didn't use much at all because we had run low. Now I have a whole fresh bag of it.
There have been times that I have found baking soda was NOT able to remove the oder. May have to use bleach some where along the way.

Bravery, what has worked for me with pickle buckets and other plastics that have a strong odor is to do the vinegar and then the baking soda, and after all of that, let the bucket set outside in the sun for a day or so to air itself.

Oh, how awesome that you had a post about how to remove the smell from buckets. Hubby scored some pickle buckets (they smell like heaven to me). I want to remove as much of the smell as possible. So, I'll be cleaning this weekend. Do y'all use distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar? I'd prefer not to use the raw cider vinegar...it is pricey and so much better used elsewhere!

Just plain old white vinegar. This works for a room that has a funky stench to it as well. Set a bowl of baking soda out and a couple of bowls of white vinegar in the room, close the room up for the day and somehow it neutralizes the odors for a good while after you open the room back up again. Yes, it does smell like vinegar until you open a window, but it's better than smelling dead mouse in the walls.

Just plain old white vinegar. This works for a room that has a funky stench to it as well. Set a bowl of baking soda out and a couple of bowls of white vinegar in the room, close the room up for the day and somehow it neutralizes the odors for a good while after you open the room back up again. Yes, it does smell like vinegar until you open a window, but it's better than smelling dead mouse in the walls.
We have a cleaning company and given the choice we use vinegar quite a bit... it is a wonderful cleaner. No VOCs like many other cleaners have. My wife swears by it.

Take some lime and put in the water or ashes from a hardwood fire. By the way Clyde ...I drank clorox when I was a kid.We used a clorox bottle to keep water cool in and I came in from outside where it was really hot and slammed her home... not good .... your fears are warranted.....it was the wrong bottle

I love raw apple cider vinegar...but I have tons of distilled white & distilled cider vinegar around since hubby likes pickled everything.

Latest posts

Back