Removing Smells from 5 Gallon Buckets

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good topic, i found this. I don't know if it works but here you go.

Check the recycle number on the plastic and verify they are really food safe. Then fill the buckets with water and pour a cup of vinegar per gallon. Let it sit overnight. Empty the bucket and fill with water again. put a cup of baking soda in and stir it around. Let it soak overnight. Guarantee this will eliminate all odors from the plastic.

I wonder if any of these methods will help remove illegal aliens from America?

As soon as our beets are ready, I'll be making pickled eggs! Love the horrified looks on my kid's face when I eat one!:D

Come and Take It, they might work if you keep their head in the bucket long enough while you're soaking it in bleach water.

Oh your in trouble.
But if you taste one...don't eat to much...they are so good you could have suicidal thoughts because of how you've wasted your life to this point.
I'll be careful. Do you have to pickle beets with the eggs? I'm not a fan of beets or pickled beets. Anybody (other than my hubby) like pickled radishes? :eek:

On the subject of buckets...I filled one of my pickle buckets with water and white vinegar...tonight I'll transfer that to the next bucket and fill the first with water and baking soda...then tomorrow it is supposed to be sunny...I'll let the bucket work on its suntan and see how it smells in a couple days. I really need to put some of my rice, beans, sugar and salt somewhere other than on the shelves...stacked in buckets will be nice to free up the shelving space.

I do some of the eggs with the beets because I like the flavor and color. It's amazing what sells at the farmers market!

A jar ?????? This threads about 5 gallon buckets....lol ...
Just kidding .I'd love a jar. By the way ...I got you some jelly (possem grape) but how do you send that without them getting broken? Plus I'm making you a custom butter mould. Haha

You're going to laugh your butt off at this, but I stick the jar into athletic socks and fold the cuff down over it so the jar has a layer or two of protection and then I stuff the space with popcorn or wadded newspaper. Butter molds are wonderful pieces of art.

I'll make sure that when I send the eggs, I'll send more than one jar. Do you like pickled beets?

I'll return your sock! I like to use regular old, unsalted, unbuttered popcorn that you pop on top of the stove. That way you can toss the popcorn out to the birds when the package gets there.

Me? I'm nothing special, just a backasswards hillbilly who likes to do everything the old fashioned way. Tell her thank you for me, she's made me blush.

Well, the pickle bucket experiment is somewhat of a bust. The first bucket with fresh vinegar and fresh baking soda water is fairly smell free (not totally smell-free) but the second bucket with used vinegar water and used baking soda water is just as pickle smelling as it was the first day! I'll keep using my pickle buckets but I guess I'll not be using them without mylar.

Latest posts

Back