Recipes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I have searched the forum but found very little with regards to preparing, drying or any recipe to prepare food for storage. Sure there are many books on preserving fruit and making pickles but they are not always geared towards long term storage.

On the program I watched on National Geographic, a lady prepared dryed corn, I have never seen any recipe like that in any book. I have also not seen any book refer to preserving seeds or flour using CO2.

Could anybody help with some recipes please?

I have searched the forum but found very little with regards to preparing, drying or any recipe to prepare food for storage. Sure there are many books on preserving fruit and making pickles but they are not always geared towards long term storage.

On the program I watched on National Geographic, a lady prepared dryed corn, I have never seen any recipe like that in any book. I have also not seen any book refer to preserving seeds or flour using CO2.

I wish I could help, but I am in the very beginning stages of learning to preserve food through caning.
i am sure someone on here knows a bit about it. We have very knowledgeable, and helpful members on here!

Maybe we should have a "Recipes" section.

I wouldn't think too many recipe books would have things dealing with Prepping... but then again I wouldn't know. My wife does the cooking and she thinks is wrong to prepare menus let alone use a written recipe and let me tell you something... I have paid the price for her cooking too!!! I was 165 lbs when I married her and now I am about 265.

I like the idea of a "Recipe" section. I also think we should have a "How To" section. My mom passed away earlier this year at age 88 and she would tell me how that prepared and preserved meat by frying it and stacking it in layers in an old parafin tin using lard. She said it held a few years and in this african heat, that's a miracle. Right now it's 22:25 CAT and 30 degrees here in the computer room.
I have been using this teqnique when I go into the bush or mountain climbing for a few days and cant carry a fridge on my back for the 3 or 4 steaks. The lard makes the steaks very juicy and imparts a very nice flavour to the BBQ'd meat.

Ok, since I'm new here, how do we put up a "Recipe" / "How To" section?

Have you considered pressure canning? We do a lot of that here on the farm and I just opened a jar of 6 year old green beans and they were just fine. If this is something you'd be interested in, I could maybe put up a few recipes.

Yes, I have considered canning but I'm not knowledgeable on the subject. I ordered a book from Amazon but it's due end of January only. I found some valuable information on You-tube also it it shows only the method and not the recipe. I would appreciate a few pointers or recipes on any subject related to preserving like drying, curing, canning, smoking, etc.

Try to get the Ball Blue Book for canning if you are able, has lots of good information. Rule of thumb when canning something with multiple ingredients, like soup, you process for the ingredient that has the longest processing time. For example, if you are making beef vegetable soup, the beef would have the longest canning time at 90 minutes and that is what you would base off of.

As to curing meat, I have a few books out in the barn. I'll try to locate them tomorrow and let you know the titles. If the book is out of print, I could maybe photocopy information from them for you and send via snail mail.

Have you considered a root cellar?

Thank you, I try to find the blue book. I noticed there are 2:
  1. Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving by Altrista Consumer Products (Jun 2004)
  2. Ball Blue Book Of Canning And Preserving Recipesby various (Aug 4, 2010)
Which one of the 2 would you recommend?

The other book I ordered from Amazon that is due in January is : Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today by Judi Kingry, Lauren Devine. Do you think this one would be enough?

I would appreciate other titles of books you found valuable.

Kind Regards

Gordon, you want the second book you listed. As to the other book, Ball doesn't generally cover curing and smoking meat. However, you can use a pressure canner to preserve your meat and it lasts several years.

In addition to books on preserving your foodstuffs, you'll also want books with recipes for cooking out of your storage.

What are you wanting to can up? Things like ready to eat meals? Rice, flour, and other thickeners are a no-no when canning, noodles turn to mush as well.

Thank you for the info on the book. Along with the Ball book, I have also ordered a book Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Kutas, Rytek that was suggested by one of the You-tubes I watched.
I'm not really fussy about what to can, except that it must last at least 12 months. I think canning something for 3 or 4 weeks is a waste of time (unless you're doing it for taste, like gherkins). The idea of canning or preserving is to save when you have in abundance for a time when it either not available anymore or you are in need. So canning will depend on what you have in abundance or can buy in bulk for cheap. This time of year it's mostly soft fruit like papaya, banana, litchi, apples and apricots. I made some jam from a box of apricots day before yesterday. I got 6kg for R40.00 - about $5 .00 at the farmers market.

I heard that you can preserve flour or seeds like maize and rice for years but storing in a airtight container by displacing the oxygen using CO2. I haven't tried this yet but plan to do so.

In South Africa you rarely find a home with a cellar or attic, I have a rather big house but not much place where I can build a pantry, it something I'm still working on.

I think the biggest preppers of all time was Noah and Joseph from the bible.

Gordon, I do apologize. I did write a long post the other day in reply to you and I thought that it had posted, my mistake. Please don't think I was being rude, I truly didn't mean to. Let me try this again.

Pretty much anything you can by either pressure canning or waterbathing will last for years if you store it properly, such as in a dark closet or somewhere the temperatures do not reach extremes. The food won't go bad if you have no other choice in where to store them, but some fruits and vegetables will fade if exposed to a lot of sunlight.

As to the meat curing and sausage curing, I'm not sure how you'd go about it safely if it is hot year round there. Honestly, I don't know what your temperature ranges are. Whenever we smoke meat for long term storage, we do it in the late fall and early winter months when we have temps between 35-45 F. degrees. Would there happen to be an agricultural department that could give you the information pertaining to your location?

I don't use the oxygen displacers, I never have and I've used rice and pastas that were well over 5 years old closer to 10 most likely, and there was little difference in the finished product over what would come from the market that day. With flour, you have to consider the type of flour you want to store, white flour stores the best and will keep for years if kept dry. Wholemeal flours have a very short shelf-life and I store mine in the freezer.

With canning, the big no-no's are rice, thickeners, pasta, flour, as well as anything so dense the heat may not penetrate fully.

Thank you for the reply, and no offence taken. I have received my book on Charcuterie that is proving to be very helpful. It seems not so difficult to make you own hams and sausages after all. When the time come to live of stored food, I would want some meat in the diet and not live from canned peaches and 2 minute noodles alone ;). It would probably be best to make the meats during winter when temperature vary between 5 and 15. In summer time, it vary between 19 and 38 degrees Celsius. I spent some time last week making bacon and it came out superb, I dont think I will buy bacon ever again - it's so much better and more flavorful than the grocer stuff. Apart from that, it's always much nicer to eat something that you made yourself. I'm using my old swimming pool stainless filter that became pitted to smoke and cook the meats. It looks more like an overgrown stainless steel Weber BBQ than a swimming pool filter but and it works great.

Latest posts

Back