Recipes for your stores

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFreedom

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Many of us have raw ingredients in storage. Things like wheat berries and hard corn. My question, how many of you have actually tried to cook with it? Having 1000 lbs of hard red wheat berries is great. But have you actually eaten some, and how?

Please share some of your recipes. The simpler, the better.

Grind your wheat berries and make cream of wheat, grind it a lot more to make flour to bake bread with. Simple enough for you? :)

Now I'm going to say something that is very, very, very unlike me. I live 99.99999% of my life on the eating side of the recipe. But...

It don't work that way. Fresh ground wheat flour cooks differently than boring bleached white store-bought flour. It doesn't store long. Many people have to add gluten to their recipes. It's just different. And I'd advise to experiment before it's your real meals!

I'll give one recipe I've found that meets my criteria (easy to make, simple ingredients, tasty, non-fridge storage).

Put wet stuff together first:
1.5 cups warm water (not over 110F)
1/3rd cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon yeast

Mix for 5 minutes, let sit 5 minutes covered. Grind the wheat while this is mixing.

Kneed together for 10 minutes:
wet stuff above
2 cups hard red wheat berries (ground)
2 cups soft white wheat berries (ground)
2 teaspoons salt

Let sit covered for 30 minutes in a warm area (to rise)
Divide into 2 loaf pans (4x9"?)
Wait 45 minute more (covered, warm spot)
Bake at 325 for 25 minutes.

It's not as light as store-bought bread. But it has a delicious flavor, great with a jam (served warm), and stores (wrapped) on the counter for weeks.

One thing I like is that everything is locally available. I have the wheat berries and honey. You can get oil from various sources. Replace yeast with starter dough. And a touch of salt for flavor. So I could use a 1000 lbs of wheat this way over a year or two. And if I get tired of it, just stop eating for a couple of days and it'll be quite tasty again! (I do have other stores... but not for a bread)

Not really what I cal a "recipe". But I'll share one we enjoy a lot. We have cans of Pilot Bread (crackers) stored. A quick lunch I like when at the BOL is a can of drained chicken meat (or turkey meat), mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup. Stir and use as spread on the crackers (or bread, for sandwiches). Tastes just like Underwood Chicken Spread, only it's meatier! :)

Latest posts

Back