rebuilding the Ranger

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
ok first right now getting the old truck going is just not going to happen,,,,,but a tear down is in order,,,,engine and tranny are coming out,,,I need the tranny for the new to me truck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the engine will be set aside and repaired,,,I know it needs a all new intake system and there is a sensor on the back of the engine that may need replace,,,I won't know until I have it out

with the hood off and engine out I can then see just how much damage was really done I already know I need the wiring harness and a computer

the heat warped the hood it will not be going back on anything else can be painted,,,,,

I might need a windshield ,,,,,

if I can salvage the truck I will,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have no intention of getting caught with no transportation again,,,,,

the AC is the last thing that will be repaired

I am in the process of trying to buy this truck,,,2000 Ranger 4 x 4,,,,I have made a offer of $2200.00

1603852629005.png

What year is it? It looks a little newer than mine, but that is very close. Even the same color.

it is a 2000,,,I would not have one newer,they changed the engines,,,all V6 motors starting in 2001 have multiple timing chains and one of them is on the back of the engine,,,meaning to change it you must pull the engine they have nearly made them a throw away truck by doing this,,,,can you imagine what the cost will be to put in a new timing chain set in that engine ,,,,and few shops will touch that job so you are at the dealers mercy,,,,at around $100 an hour labor plus their inflated parts prices

no thank you

I would get rid of the wiring/cpu and do the duraspark conversion so it will go after an EMP. The 2150 (non feedback) is a good carb if you stay with the V6.

I am in no hurry to get the 98 Ranger running right now,but it is the better of the 2 Rangers,,,the 2000 will be a donor of certain parts they will all interchange ,,,in the end I will have a new set of tire new seats a better radio and the dome light will work again,,,,all I need is another hood,,,I even have the paint to repaint it,,,,,,by spring the red Ranger will be back

Way back in my youth, my first truck was one of these mini-trucks. I remember trying to haul something and it wasn't even close to being up to the task.. My mindset now is that if the truck does not have an 8 ft bed, it's not a 'real' truck and is of no use to me. That's my personal opinion and I respect that others will disagree. For my needs, it must carry 2 pallets full. It must carry at least 1500 lbs. It must hold my 24ft ladder. And I get better gas mileage with my full size truck than I got with that mini truck.

So these Chinese pickup trucks
My mindset now is that if the truck does not have an 8 ft bed, it's not a 'real' truck and is of no use to me.
LOL, in many parts of the world this is what passes for a "real truck". They are ubiquitous in Taiwan. I can't even sit in these things without my head being jammed up against the ceiling.
iu

Nice looking truck! Has anyone ever put a diesel in one of these? A 4bt would be a bit heavy - about 400 pounds more than the V6 - I think these also came with an inline 4 at one time?

ok it was not good but could have been far worse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the 2 areas outlined had a heat shield on them...I have pulled it off this morning to see just how hot the firewall got,,,,,,,,,,,,,as you can see that red paint is not even singed the one hole is where the PCM goes it took some heat that right there beside it is a access point for the wipers ,under the dash should have not even gotten warm,,,,the other area outlined is for the heater and AC it came thru this in pretty good shape,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,putting the wiring back in will be tiresome putting the intake back is not all that hard,,,,,my biggest concern is all the vacuum hoses being being put back in place,,,,,,,
ranger2 003.jpg

ok it was not good but could have been far worse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the 2 areas outlined had a heat shield on them...I have pulled it off this morning to see just how hot the firewall got,,,,,,,,,,,,,as you can see that red paint is not even singed the one hole is where the PCM goes it took some heat that right there beside it is a access point for the wipers ,under the dash should have not even gotten warm,,,,the other area outlined is for the heater and AC it came thru this in pretty good shape,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,putting the wiring back in will be tiresome putting the intake back is not all that hard,,,,,my biggest concern is all the vacuum hoses being being put back in place,,,,,,,View attachment 11404

You should let Joe Biden fix it, he can build it back better.

Latest posts

Back