Rats?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldways

Admin
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
How are you preparing to not have rats (if they get in your place) enjoy themselves to the max?

Do you have any proven to you ways of getting rid of them once they sneak in? This is really something to think on. Could become disastrous in a disaster if they get your food.

20 years ago, we had a problem with rats in our grocery for a few months. I think it started when we moved the dumpsters closer, but it took a while for us to make the connection. We moved the dumpsters back, but the rats had found us. The ultimate solution was to throw everything at the critters until they disappeared. We sealed external cracks top to bottom, sprayed the mulch at the base of the walls with white vinegar (every time we replace the mulch,) and we have a couple of store cats that live between the stock room and the basement storage. We also have both rat and mouse traps placed where we'll see them if we are suddenly infiltrated. Knock on wood!

How are you preparing to not have rats (if they get in your place) enjoy themselves to the max?

Do you have any proven to you ways of getting rid of them once they sneak in? This is really something to think on. Could become disastrous in a disaster if they get your food.
Traps and poison.

Rat Urine

I recall reading that when there are rat infestations one disease, Bubonic Plague, is spread by rat urine.
Therefore mop often areas for bare feet, such as shower and sleeping areas.

See: Different diseases caused by rats urineEdit
Yes, that's true. Most people think it's only through fleas that bite the rats (the most common vector), but it is also spread by rat urine, especially in Third World countries where people have dirt floors and such.

Dogs. Lots of dogs.

Had Rodentia problems when I first moved in. Previous owners insisted on paying for tenting.
I closed up any entry points. Cut back the wild oats growing 5 ft from the house. Poisoned off the colony of ground squirrels.
Poison in Attic. Cat in the barn.
One of the benefits of getting rid of food sources is I see only a couple of rattlers a year Instead of 10.

Latest posts

Back