Raising quails for consumption

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prepper123

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
I have been raising rabbits, tilapia, and quails for a few years now. In my opinion, of those three, quails are the best option. I originally bought my quail eggs from a farm in West Covina, California off of ebay. Within a couple of months, I was able to grow my quails exponentially. It only takes them 6 weeks from hatch to start laying. Once they start laying, they'll lay each and every day for the rest of their lives. I was told that consuming a quail egg has enough calories to sustain you in a survival scenario. In addition, these birds will eat just about everything! I had orginally intended to raise chickens, but those darn birds eat too much. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on raising other animals.

It's hard to believe any bird can lay an egg a day for their entire lives. How are you keeping them safe from predators?

Do you know if this stuff can be shipped into Canada, or if there is a Canadian supplier that will ship? I'm up in the middle of no where but was considering RTL pullets, any info on layers is much appreciated. Although I was planning on chickens as I was planning on raising maggots/flies out of organic materials as a feed stock in addition to wild grains and insects/larva. What do quail eat and are they picky eaters?

I've seen this same post from the same person on several different boards and he never seems to answer anyone's questions. My guess here is that we have someone doing some free advertising.

I've seen this same post from the same person on several different boards and he never seems to answer anyone's questions. My guess here is that we have someone doing some free advertising.

Hey Y'all,
I have been raising rabbits, tilapia, and quails for a few years now. In my opinion, of those three, quails are the best option. I originally bought my quail eggs from a farm in West Covina, California off of ebay. Within a couple of months, I was able to grow my quails exponentially. It only takes them 6 weeks from hatch to start laying. Once they start laying, they'll lay each and every day for the rest of their lives. I was told that consuming a quail egg has enough calories to sustain you in a survival scenario. In addition, these birds will eat just about everything! I had orginally intended to raise chickens, but those darn birds eat too much. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on raising other animals.
Man it's funny that you raised this question and said quails are the best bet. I used to have a rabbit farm in northern Calif. and I mean hundreds of them. I sold them to local markets and they were a specialty item that brought the markets a lot of money. I eventually quit because of the raise in the price of feed and the rent on the barn that I worked out of. But I have always believed that they brought in a better ratio of meat per feed than anything that I have ever raised. Except if you raise chickens, range fed only. I have hunted quail and found them lacking in body weight but I have never tried to raise them. I have hunted duck and found that unless you like skin and fat the only part of their body I would take is the breast. I liken them to frogs, though I think frog legs do not taste like chicken. Much better my friends. If I were to raise domestic animals for food again I'd still have to go with rabbits. High protein, low fat and they reproduce as fast The Road Runner! And they too can live off the overgrown greenage around you house.

Like that idea re raising quail. It would suit those with a small yard that won't accomodate chooks. Plus, quail taste great too. Something I'll have to look into. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back