Rainwater collection system

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Reaction score
Here's a little "DIY" for an easy water collection system.I have three of these setups now for a total of 330 gallons of stored rainwater and plan to add more barrels to each setup when the budget allows.

The pic's really explain most of how to set one up,but here's a few notes that might make it easier.

One-I inverted the barrels using the 3/4" threaded tap in the bung caps and I sealed and connected all fittings with pvc cement.

Two-the inlet was made from a plastic planter container with plenty of holes in the bottom to handle the water flow during a good rain,I simply cut snug hole with a jigsaw in the bottom of the barrel,then used a piece of steel window screen inside the planter and secured the screen with zip ties to help strain debris.Do not cement or silicone the planter in place so it can be removed and cleaned when needed.

Three-I put screen over the overflow outlet as well to keep mosquitoes from getting in and breeding,plus,the overflow not only allows you to shoot the excess water away from your home,but it let's the system flush itself everytime it rains,helping keep water it's freshest.

Do not drink rainwater collected this way without further filtration and boiling or chemical treatment.But great as is for watering the garden,washing yourself,washing dishes,flushing toilets and well you get the idea,lol.

I also used a brass hose bib valve so that a hose can be used,with the tanks elevated and full,it has pretty decent pressure at the end of the hose,and the brass will never rust.

Any questions,please feel free to ask.

DSCF2078.JPG
DSCF2080.JPG
DSCF2081.JPG
DSCF2078.JPG
DSCF2079.JPG

Nice and simple! Too bad my wife would kill me if I set this up. Still not convinced of the whole prepper thing ha.

And if you have a fireplace to collect wood ash, you can make your own lye with your rainwater. Great setup Sharkbait.

I do have wood burners in both my house and garage,already on that ;) and thanks for the compliments everyone!

do you have filter before the rainwater in to the bucket?

Yes,the steel screen to catch debris which does a good job and if needed for drinking,we have a Berkey water filter system.

Actually my wife won't even notice, I won't set this up until needed, I have all parts besides the drums, and we have a bunch just sitting at work I can take.

Cheery day for me!

An amusing side note: collecting rain water is technically illegal in many places. Some officials has thought about changing the laws to omit personal home collections as the law was intended to keep businesses from doing it.

Personally I am in the process of setting my own up. Great ideas

An amusing side note: collecting rain water is technically illegal in many places. Some officials has thought about changing the laws to omit personal home collections as the law was intended to keep businesses from doing it.

Personally I am in the process of setting my own up. Great ideas
Thank you.And yes i've heard of laws against it (crazy,now they want to have rights over rain,lol),luckily in my area it's not an issue yet,but even if it was I have two setups on the back of my house and one on the side of my garage.I tend to keep all preps of this type out of sight from the main road-example-my chicken coop is in my garage with a fenced in yard area behind it,only a few folks even know I have chickens.I also raise/breed talapia and rabbits in the same garage.Basically a little mini farm well hidden to the passers by.

Oh wow you are like describing exactly how I am workin my set-up. I am building a nuke proof shelter under the shed attached to my garage. I will be building a coop in that shed with a fence behind it. Have been lookin to add Rabbits too. And building an Aquaponics set for Hydogardening + Tilapia. Setting up some grow light pots in the shelter. Also looking into Vermiculture worm farming to add to the soils and use the excess worms to feed the fish n Chickens. http://deq.louisiana.gov/portal/default.aspx?tabid=2101

I like your rain-water collection set-up. Very nice looking. Aside from all the obvious uses I'd like to use the rainwater to flush the toilet... lol.

Latest posts

Back