Rail Tunnel Recon

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backandbeyond

God Like
Reaction score
Not far from me, up in the hills far from civilization, is a set of rail tunnels, one quite long. For a while now I have been considering the area around them as a good BOL if my town ever had difficulties. Thing about these tunnels is they can be accessed via small roads and the land there is government land, easements, so no worries about land owners. In fact the area is high hills and deep ravines, National Parks land I believe. Anyway one of the biggest dangers if you survive a nuclear exchange is the skyshine from lofted radioactive particles.

The experts say the worst should be clear after about two weeks but during that time you will need to sheltered under a lot of earth concrete or rock. Where I live skyshine would be the only danger so inside the mouth of a tunnel would be fine. I doubt the interstate trains that use them would be running at a time like that but there is enough room down beside the tracks to avoid them, though it would be as scary as all sh*t.

There is water up there by the mouth of one tunnel and from the satellite view lots of cover and places to hide a vehicle. I'll take a run up next week or the week after and see if it's suitable as a hideout and then make some plans, perhaps plan to lay a cache nearby. I couldn't imagine a scenario where I would want to leave my home but that's no reason not to have a plan to do so. Better a well thought out plan now than a hastily constructed one at the last minute.

Now,is this rail line still active? Can you get a map of the lines around and leading to the tunnel? Have you been in the tunnel before? These are the things you need to know beforehand.
It is a single line with no branching and only a few trains per day use it. 2 passenger trains pass in the morning, the same one actually going back and forward from the city to the north, and an unknown number of freight trains. No I haven't been in the tunnels before, that is why I want to do the recon. I have seen the inside of them though on a cab-view video posted on youtube. There appears to be no alcoves or side passages, just a smooth bore all the way through.

The tunnels are just one aspect of the recon though, I am equally as interested in the land around them. This is easily accessed remote land that is not privately owned but controlled by the state railways, not some parks and wildlife department with inspectors patrolling it. To be in such a place, close to infrastructure though, could look suspicions and on the off chance someone else comes along I will have a camera on a tripod. Just another "train nut" hoping to get some video.

Whenever confronted on such an investigation it's important to be smiling and happy and have a good reason for being where you are. This puts locals at ease and the police don't make out reports on non-suspicious activities. They might jot your registration down in a notebook but there will be no entry in a file for future reference. They generally hate paperwork.

Is it possible, with just two open ends, it could be a wind tunnel blowing fallout through it?
No, as I said earlier I am not in a fallout area. There are some good resources online that list the probable nuclear targets in Oz and prevailing wind patterns for your area. As for the targets, well if you live near one it would be pretty obvious. Any major airport that US forces could use to refuel say. Any major military base, especially air bases. That sort of thing Helen.

Railroad tunnels are good escape routes in a crisis, but you should check if there are no toxic gases inside, there are two such tunnels in Switzerland.
The biggest danger of such tunnels is that the army would use them in a domestic conflict, be it as a storage place of some material, or if they plan troop movements on foot through such tunnels because other axes are blocked.

lets just hope no one else in your area is thinking of the same idea. :)
Well if they did I guess I'd have a prepper community on my hands lol. But good point, one to add to the equation. I can't get there at the moment, not easily. They have more BS virus lockdowns here and though I'm not effected in town there are border controls and paperwork to fill out on the route to where I want to go. I'll wait...

Interesting, think I would scout the area and study the flow of the trains. Look at the rails, is there a light or heavy coating of rust on the rails? Hike 3 to 5 miles of either side and look for hobo camps, Yes, there are still hobos around. You have some good ideas, before you progress get more info.

-Interesting, think I would scout the area and study the flow of the trains.
-Look at the rails, is there a light or heavy coating of rust on the rails?
-Hike 3 to 5 miles of either side and look for hobo camps,

Trains use it daily but all come from the capital city 100km to the north. In a nuclear war scenario I can't see anything coming or going from that place.
We don't actually have hobo camps in Australia, we do have aboriginal camps but they are always in walking distance from a small town, from a liquor outlet. The coastal Australia aboriginal is a shiftless creature for the most part, they don't believe in work but certainly believe in booze. Anyone who disagrees with that has never been out of the city to see.

Latest posts

Back