Radiation - How to guard against it.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya, feels like a power plant would have FAR more radioactive material than a warhead...
yes I think thats the difference, the nuclear rods in a power station are still active for thousands of years.
I never did like nuclear, power or weapons, worst thing humans ever invented, right there just ahead of plastic.

I have toyed with the idea of setting up a radiation shelter, but I'm divided within myself.

On one hand, it can be argued that any protection at all is better than nothing, and will certianly extend life.

On the other hand, I question whether all the infrastructure neccesary to make a really effective radiation shelter (including air filters, radiation suits, dosemeter badges, gieger counters, decon facilities, and so on) is cost effective for anyone less than a millionaire.

Even if this infrastructure is in place, what of the aftermath?

I don't believe in heroic measures for people with terminal illnesses (like an aggressive cancer) when it comes to CPR, organ transplants, and so on.

I could see it being worthwhile to try and survive the meltdown of a reactor or a local dirty bomb.

But a full-scale nuclear exchange?

I question whether it's worthwhile to even try to survive a nuclear war . . . as I would probably do a good job surviving, but I would have to ask myself why I should even bother, as I fail to see how continued life under these circumstances could have any real meaning.

Surviving a nuclear exchange seems about as pointless as reviving a terminal cancer patient by performing CPR.

I could be wrong and/or excessively pessimistic.

Maybe I would feel differently if I was younger, but I'm 53 years old.
Never give up.

I have toyed with the idea of setting up a radiation shelter, but I'm divided within myself.

On one hand, it can be argued that any protection at all is better than nothing, and will certianly extend life.

On the other hand, I question whether all the infrastructure neccesary to make a really effective radiation shelter (including air filters, radiation suits, dosemeter badges, gieger counters, decon facilities, and so on) is cost effective for anyone less than a millionaire.

Even if this infrastructure is in place, what of the aftermath?

I don't believe in heroic measures for people with terminal illnesses (like an aggressive cancer) when it comes to CPR, organ transplants, and so on.

I could see it being worthwhile to try and survive the meltdown of a reactor or a local dirty bomb.

But a full-scale nuclear exchange?

I question whether it's worthwhile to even try to survive a nuclear war . . . as I would probably do a good job surviving, but I would have to ask myself why I should even bother, as I fail to see how continued life under these circumstances could have any real meaning.

Surviving a nuclear exchange seems about as pointless as reviving a terminal cancer patient by performing CPR.

I could be wrong and/or excessively pessimistic.

Maybe I would feel differently if I was younger, but I'm 53 years old.

Again, my dad taught this exact form of survival. This was his life's work. When he created his "Survive" game as a means of teaching people about this stuff, it meant I also thought about this a lot as a kid (as we played this game alot).

He used to say any home with a basement and not directly in the path of a nuclear fallout cone could be turned into a fallout shelter. It doesn't need to last forever, as the radiations involved will degrade to livable levels within a few weeks. My dad used to talk about ways to fairly quickly modify an existing home to withstand radiation. Granted, I don't think this applies to homes directly in the path of the fallout cloud (then I feel you're effed if you don't GTFO immediately after say 2-3 weeks).

Some of the strategies involved creating pockets of air, dirt and gravel around basement openings. Dad would diagram up windows having plywood leaned up against lower level windows, which creates an air pocket. Then he would shovel (or end-load) layers of dirt and gravel (maybe 1' thick) to cover the plywood. I think my dad's plan involved using a tractor to scrape off top layers of soil from around the windows and pile that up.

Another aspect is air. He would say you don't need a crazy filter system, other than having a non-direct path for the airflow. And a light filter or screen preventing the light airborne particulates from entering the house. He would argue that radiation doesn't travel around corners, it travels in a straight path, through stuff.. And air doesn't become radioactive... So as long as the particulates aren't getting in, then you're probably good. Remember, these aren't Covid & ebola sized viral particles, it's larger dust, so long as you have a dust covering in front of your air intake, you might be good? I'm wondering is a t-shirt or light weight breathable cloth would work? Again, we're only talking about it needing to last 2 weeks before you can come out. I might do some more research on ventilation systems, but I know if you're having a LONG term bunker built, it likely requires a much more complicated system.

I hadn't really thought about it until now, but I imagine IF THE BOMBS DROPPED, I'd do the plywood/dirt trick to my few basement openings, then run to the HVAC air intake and tack up some "cloth" over the openings...? I think I'd have the kids start charging up ALL the LED emergency lights (depending on EMP functionality). I figure we have an hour or so to get that all done before the radiation winds start rolling in, and fallout becomes an issue (totally a guess)... Once the outside shell of the house is secure, we can worry about situating the house interior... I don't live in a military bunker, and my basement has what we need, but it's set up for life and entertainment right now... I know we'd need to re-organize a ton of stuff inside, from sleeping quarters, hygiene, security, etc...

Again, my dad taught this exact form of survival. This was his life's work. When he created his "Survive" game as a means of teaching people about this stuff, it meant I also thought about this a lot as a kid (as we played this game alot).

He used to say any home with a basement and not directly in the path of a nuclear fallout cone could be turned into a fallout shelter. It doesn't need to last forever, as the radiations involved will degrade to livable levels within a few weeks. My dad used to talk about ways to fairly quickly modify an existing home to withstand radiation. Granted, I don't think this applies to homes directly in the path of the fallout cloud (then I feel you're effed if you don't GTFO immediately after say 2-3 weeks).

Some of the strategies involved creating pockets of air, dirt and gravel around basement openings. Dad would diagram up windows having plywood leaned up against lower level windows, which creates an air pocket. Then he would shovel (or end-load) layers of dirt and gravel (maybe 1' thick) to cover the plywood. I think my dad's plan involved using a tractor to scrape off top layers of soil from around the windows and pile that up.

Another aspect is air. He would say you don't need a crazy filter system, other than having a non-direct path for the airflow. And a light filter or screen preventing the light airborne particulates from entering the house. He would argue that radiation doesn't travel around corners, it travels in a straight path, through stuff.. And air doesn't become radioactive... So as long as the particulates aren't getting in, then you're probably good. Remember, these aren't Covid & ebola sized viral particles, it's larger dust, so long as you have a dust covering in front of your air intake, you might be good? I'm wondering is a t-shirt or light weight breathable cloth would work? Again, we're only talking about it needing to last 2 weeks before you can come out. I might do some more research on ventilation systems, but I know if you're having a LONG term bunker built, it likely requires a much more complicated system.

I hadn't really thought about it until now, but I imagine IF THE BOMBS DROPPED, I'd do the plywood/dirt trick to my few basement openings, then run to the HVAC air intake and tack up some "cloth" over the openings...? I think I'd have the kids start charging up ALL the LED emergency lights (depending on EMP functionality). I figure we have an hour or so to get that all done before the radiation winds start rolling in, and fallout becomes an issue (totally a guess)... Once the outside shell of the house is secure, we can worry about situating the house interior... I don't live in a military bunker, and my basement has what we need, but it's set up for life and entertainment right now... I know we'd need to re-organize a ton of stuff inside, from sleeping quarters, hygiene, security, etc...
From what I know, your dad is correct.

If you were miles downwind of a nuclear detonation, you might survive just by staying indoors. After the worst had blown over you could leave the area in a car with sufficient NBC gas mask and filter. At least this is what I would try to do. If I were some long distance away and downwind, I would just stay indoors with protection and hope the rain would wash the deposited radiation away. The trend in nuclear weapons is to make them cleaner and use more fusion which produces almost no radioactive particles. So the big, dirty, nuclear weapons of the 1950s may be a thing of the past.

If that mine was patented in 1908 then someone was granted a deed to the land. If it was an un-patented mine, and the owner didn't keep up on the annual assessment work, then it could be open to filling a new claim.
Thanks for the information. I think I'll just leave it alone except as a possible bug out location in case of high radiation. It is unlikely to be discovered.

Thanks for the information. I think I'll just leave it alone except as a possible bug out location in case of high radiation. It is unlikely to be discovered.
Under the 1872 mining law (as amended) a man could file an unpatented mining claim on a placer or lode deposit, usually 20.66 acres, 660'×1320' or 600'×1500' each. A mill site was usually 10 acres in size, 660'×660'. Then if there was enough minerals on that claim, under the "prudent man" law, he could file for a patent. If all the criteria was met he could buy the land from the government for $2.50 or $5.00 per acre and receive title to the land. Then that dipshit Bill Clinton came along and rolled over for the green weenies and put a moratorium (ban) on patents. I doubt if we'll ever have a president with the balls to reverse the ban. Currently we still have the Rights to file unpatented mining claims with the intent of mining the claim.
My property was originally a homestead and then part of a large ranch. The original homesteader grew potatoes here and sold them to the area miners. I've got some hard rock (lode) claims on my land, and this whole area is covered with old mines, abandoned town sites, stage stops etc.

Hey, ok. I concede. After extensive research of scholarly text, I was able to find that we are able to test objects at an obscene 3 million rads (cockroaches bacteria, etc...). "Most commercial electronics can survive radiation levels in silicon of at least 500 to 1000 rads. Some commercial devices can survive levels higher than that but you’re just never sure when it’s going to lose functionality unless detailed testing has been done in advance. The most radiation-hardened electronics can survive levels of radiation that are hundreds of thousands of times greater than what a human can survive, more than a million rads,"says Dan Fleetwood, an expert in radiation-resistant devices at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.

I 'm guessing semiconductors' were also on that list too. But, I do still worry about the waste that is still stored on all those sites and what would become of it if a plant took a hit...

Below is a pretty cool article from AMERICAN ENTOMOLOGIST • Fall 2001 on Radiation experiments on different lifeforms.
https://academic.oup.com/ae/article/47/3/132/2389590

UUUMMMMMM.....Not so sure now that some plants won't meltdown and their stored low/high level nuclear waste and spent fuel rods won't overheat after reading this report. Thanks to Maverick for the lead to the "Electromagnetic Defense Task Force" 2018 Report, written by the ELECTROMAGNETIC DEFENSE TASK FORCE (EDTF).
What do y'all think?

https://media.defense.gov/2018/Nov/...DEMAIO_ELECTROMAGNETIC_DEFENSE_TASK_FORCE.PDF

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 00-01-36 Potassium Iodide Pill Source with RADSticker, NukAlert, FEMA...png

Pretty cool

Well, do you really need a meter? In a nuclear event you are going to try to maximize your protection because, meter or no meter, no amount of radiation or radioactive particles are good. It is all bad, more is just worse.

b2.jpg

Something tells me the meth zombies will make it..

Edit: Well, perhaps not. Had time to think about it. I weigh 165lbs so thats 75mg. I'll pass on taking that ride. I've had those little blue instant release enantiomerically pure 20mg dexedrine pills doctors used to give out, and I tell ya what.... just one will have you feeling weightless, literally feeling like your feet are hardly touching the ground and gravity somehow applies less to you, for 8 hours straight. 75mg would be a total disaster ~ blast off to crash. Not even a practical option, I just thought it's effectiveness compared to other substances was curious.

Last edited:

I think your dad was 100% correct.

I think it is worth adding that the cheap geiger counters on ebay are not very good for a few reasons. One because they either have no alpha window at all or have a very small window, so their ability to detect alpha or low level beta is almost nonexistent. Furthermore, they measure in Sieverts which is a measure of health effects. Because different radiation has different energy levels (which it cannot decipher, it only counts ionization events), there is great error going from one isotope to another. They are only accurate for specific isotopes and are only good as a general indicator of hot areas when SHTF. Radiation tags are much better, but they must be wore on the outside of your clothes. Putting one in your wallet isn't doing you much good. Most people fear the gamma sources, I think the alpha and beta sources are the most dangerous. If you accidentally consume one of these, your body gets the full dose as none of it can escape. Accidentally eating an equivalent gamma source, most of it will pass right through you not touching anything along the way (not to say that's safe, it's definitely not). A Kearny Fallout Meter will not detect the alpha particles either. I have seen various DIY alpha detectors on youtube that are interesting though. I also learned that those little headphone jack smartphone counters are completely useless unless you are dealing with a source of higher energy gamma rays.

I could go on a rant about how coal power plants put out more radiation than nuclear power plants or how safe nuclear power is nowadays, but I think that should be common knowledge by now. The reason the basics of it are not being taught is because these oil tycoons (that know nuclear is the best option) just want to keep it a secret until they sell all of their oil.

Latest posts

Back