Radiation - How to guard against it.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your dad was 100% correct.

I think it is worth adding that the cheap geiger counters on ebay are not very good for a few reasons. One because they either have no alpha window at all or have a very small window, so their ability to detect alpha or low level beta is almost nonexistent. Furthermore, they measure in Sieverts which is a measure of health effects. Because different radiation has different energy levels (which it cannot decipher, it only counts ionization events), there is great error going from one isotope to another. They are only accurate for specific isotopes and are only good as a general indicator of hot areas when SHTF. Radiation tags are much better, but they must be wore on the outside of your clothes. Putting one in your wallet isn't doing you much good. Most people fear the gamma sources, I think the alpha and beta sources are the most dangerous. If you accidentally consume one of these, your body gets the full dose as none of it can escape. Accidentally eating an equivalent gamma source, most of it will pass right through you not touching anything along the way (not to say that's safe, it's definitely not). A Kearny Fallout Meter will not detect the alpha particles either. I have seen various DIY alpha detectors on youtube that are interesting though. I also learned that those little headphone jack smartphone counters are completely useless unless you are dealing with a source of higher energy gamma rays.

I could go on a rant about how coal power plants put out more radiation than nuclear power plants or how safe nuclear power is nowadays, but I think that should be common knowledge by now. The reason the basics of it are not being taught is because these oil tycoons (that know nuclear is the best option) just want to keep it a secret until they sell all of their oil.
The most reliable radiation meters are the old yellow civil defense meters they are the most inexpensive if you can find working models, we also use the Ludlum meter!!!

Latest posts

Back