Quilting

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished this quilt, started in 2019 iirc.

Attachments

• CF57C869-B98F-4C64-8FA3-483FB712B2F0.jpeg
    CF57C869-B98F-4C64-8FA3-483FB712B2F0.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 8
Not sure that this is quite in the realm of a traditional quilt but, I am making a hair on cow hide area rug for BOL2. A bit extravagant yes, but, something I have wanted to try for a while now. Ran across one at a flea market years ago, almost got one and then chickened out. Now prices are unreal so I will have to make one if I want it.

1666043273285.png

What kind of hand stich do you think will work best? I'll be working with 6x6 squares instead of strips.

I know an old cowboy that would use his old sewing machine with a leather needle in it cause it basically "punched thru the leather" since it was sharp. I don't know personally. Just passing along what I was told. He did make beautiful leather side saddles.

I wish I had my Grandmother's old Singer...it probably could have handled it. My modern machines (Janome, Singer and Brother) have a hard time with upholstery but, I will look for a leather needle and give it a try! Thank You!

I have a cousin in Alabama who makes quilts. I used to help my ex mother in law when she'd take up a whole room working on a hand stitched quilt, and occasionally have the neighbor ladies over and we'd sit around hand stitching. I guess you call that a quliting bee?

Earlier this year, I had my cousin make me a queen size quilt, sent her the blocks I wanted and I'm not going to say how much she charged me...but it was quite expensive..yikes! She did do a great job.

I have a few passed down from other family and I absolutely love all of them. One of my favorite things in life is having quilts.

Great job danil! Love it! That's a lucky little fella getting that quilt from you!
RC&D...can't wait to see when you get your hair on cow hide rug finished...

I wish I had my Grandmother's old Singer...it probably could have handled it. My modern machines (Janome, Singer and Brother) have a hard time with upholstery but, I will look for a leather needle and give it a try! Thank You!
I do have my Grandmother's old Singer, and YES IT WILL!

I do have my Grandmother's old Singer, and YES IT WILL!

After my dad died and I went to college. My mom decided to sell the house and most of the contents...including my grandmother's Singer. It wasn't fancy like today's models but had the best darn straight stitch I have seen since! All metal too! She was a professional seamstress when she came here after the war. It was one of the few jobs she qualified for.

I sent a picture to a close friend at work. She tells me that she has done a few but all baby sized but wants to do a quilt for all of her grandbabies too. Apparently I inspired her and she is now working on a pinwheel type quilt. She sent me a picture. I told her that I can give her some tips tomorrow at work. I have been on vacation and since I have been back she has been off on her 2 days off in a row. This woman is very talented making cakes so I have no doubt she will be able to accomplish making a quilt.

I have both my mother's 1941 Singer and my Grandmother's New Home Treadle dating back to about 1919. I treasure them both, keep them both working and they both have superior stitching to anything you would buy on the market today at any price. One requires electricity the other build leg muscles. The great thing about both is that over the years I have acquired the knowledge and enough spare parts that I can maintain and service them myself. There are lots of sites out there today that have new replacement parts, original books that came with the machines online and even videos on how to maintain them.

TreadleOn - The Sewing Machine Shop

Vintage Sewing Machines

oldsingersewingmachineblog

Singer has recently pulled some of their dating and identification information from their website. Here you can look up your serial number and find out when your Singer Sewing Machine was made as well as what model you have. No Letter Prefix AA Series Serial Numbers AB Series Serial Numbers AC Series Serial Numbers AD Series Serial Numbers

Singer Sewing Machine Company Serial Numbers

Latest posts

Back