Quick and Easy Water Filtration System

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helpmelive

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thought I'd start off my time here at Doomsday Prepper with a little how to I enjoy doing myself. It's all about a DIY water filter anyone can do with some basic items.

We can live without food for a week or so but without water, hardly any time at all. So when SHTF or you're forced to bug out, knowing how to clean water is essential life training.

First, you need to collect all items required to make a water filter. All items are readily available, you just need to know how to put the things together to work. The list goes:

1. Plastic bottle with cap

2. Knife – for cutting the bottle

3. Coffee filter

4. Gravel (Fine Grained and Chunky Grained)

5. Sand (Coarse and Grained)

6. Activated Charcoal

7. Hammer and nails – It is optional

8. Jug or separate bottle to collect the filtered water

Ok, now you have all the items and are all set to make your own filter. Cut the bottom of the bottle with a knife and make two holes at the sides (opposite of each other) of the bottle to make a handle.

Next, make a whole in the cap of the bottle. Water will come out of this whole slowly making the filter more effective. Use a hammer and nail else use knife for this purpose.

Use coffee filter on the mouth of the bottle and tight the cap over it. This will keep the activate charcoal inside the bottle and will not allow to fall it out of the bottle.

Put bottle upside down in a mug or other available pot to keep it straight. Fill one third of the bottle with activate charcoal. If charcoals are in large pieces, break them into smaller ones by crushing with some hard object.

Now, fill half of the bottle with sand. Use any available sand around but avoid using colored sand as it may leak dyes into water. Mix of grained and coarse sand if recommended if easily available. First fill with grained sand over the charcoal and then with coarse sand. It will create more layers for water to pass and it make it cleaner to drink.

In the end, fill the rest of the bottle with gravels. Leave some space for water to stay at the top of the gravels otherwise, water will spill over it.

WOW, you have successfully made a bio filter and it is ready for use now. Hang the filter by using the bottle handle and put the jar below it or hold the bottle with your hand else the filter will fall away. Put the filter into a jar and fill it slowly with water. Water will take time of pass through all layers and start dropping into the jar slowly.

Filtered water is there for you to use. For better results, repeat the process and put the filtered water back into filter. Wait for the water to come back into the jar. Water quality depends on how many times you need to repeat the filtering process.

For more safety measurs and to remove any harmful bacteria, you can boil the water for a minute but of course that requires heat/electricity. If you're bugging out you can use this method but might be hard to find supplies in some cases. Otherwise it's always a good idea to have a couple of these handy at any given time.

I just did a little reading on charcoal. Basically trying to make activated charcoal yourself isn't impossible, but is not really practical. Using lump charcoal isn't as good, but is usually close enough to make a filter and can be a diy project. Here is a tutorial, http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-your-own-charcoal-aka-lump-charcoal/
I think I will buy a container of activated charcoal just to have around though. It lasts forever and has some good health benefits, like absorbing poisons.

I just did a little reading on charcoal. Basically trying to make activated charcoal yourself isn't impossible, but is not really practical. Using lump charcoal isn't as good, but is usually close enough to make a filter and can be a diy project. Here is a tutorial, http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-your-own-charcoal-aka-lump-charcoal/
I think I will buy a container of activated charcoal just to have around though. It lasts forever and has some good health benefits, like absorbing poisons.
Just went on Amazon and got 2 lbs of activated charcoal in a sealed Mylar looking bag for 19.98. Best deal I could find. Luckily I have prime, so shipping is free for a year. (although that free shipping costs 100.00 a year!) I think it's a good addition to the medical bob.

Activated charcoal can be taken the oral route for emergency treatment of certain kinds of poisoning, Always good to have on hand

Though shouldn't be used in poisoning of any corrosive agents such as alkalis (lye) strong acids, iron, boric acid, lithium, petroleum products such as cleaning fluid, coal oil, fuel oil, gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, or if alcohols have been swallowed, since it will not prevent these poisons from being absorbed into the body. ;)

Activated charcoal can be taken the oral route for emergency treatment of certain kinds of poisoning, Always good to have on hand

Though shouldn't be used in poisoning of any corrosive agents such as alkalis (lye) strong acids, iron, boric acid, lithium, petroleum products such as cleaning fluid, coal oil, fuel oil, gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, or if alcohols have been swallowed, since it will not prevent these poisons from being absorbed into the body. ;)
I too read what it didn't help with, but did not see what it is good with.i wonder if it would help with something like food poisoning?

Latest posts

Back