Pyschically Fit For Doomsday

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's better

• Running

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Lifting

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
I try but I seem to love to eat so I think my body is going more for the "There might not be much good better build up a supply" method lol.I do try to workout but I take it in spells,it's just hard to get started sometimes.

Yeh haha I know what you mean but idk how I did it but the more I work out the more I eat so it's like I kinda have to work moderately not to much not little

My husband got me to lift weights this week which I have never really done.8 lb dumbells was about it.My fricken legs hurt so bad!He said I was walking around like an old lady lol and I commented that we needed to install a bar by the toilet so I could get up but 3 days later I am only slightly sore.Too much too fast

I'm torn between exercising or storing a few extra meals around the midriff

i would say lifting would be better for heavy duty stuff, but, healthy wise, i would say running. running is good for the heart. healthy heart=healthy body.

Are you getting in shape for when SHTF well I am everyday I've been working out running lifting preparing myself are you doing the same?
I too exercise on a daily basis. In the pole above I voted for running. Though I hate running, as I ran enough in the Army...lol....
Seriously though. While I think lifting is important, I feel cardio is more important. I say this because if there is a time when the world is in turmoil for an extremely long time, you will eventually have to move around. Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to own a large chunk of land, and have animals and good farming abilities.
I personally would rather be able to run for a long distance.

Running is out for me, at least anything more than short spurts to catch an animal or kid. One foot has entirely too much hardware in it to function properly. I don't lift traditional weights, but do hay bales, goats, feed bags, dirt, leather harnesses, and firewood count? I guess I fall into the farming category that Clydesdale mentioned, besides even carrying a rider, my horse can outrun most people so I'll let him do the footwork.

i play airsoft as exercise. it's exercise in more than one way.
physical- running, sprinting, squatting, leaning, stretching, crouching, jumping, it's alot of physical work!
mental- staying in control, thinking tactically, communicating effectively, strategy while getting shot at.

when i can't play airsoft for exercise i go hiking. airsoft takes up a huge amount of energy, it take about a week to recoup the energy used in 4-5 hours of play. i don't regain the same level of energy i had prior to the game for an additional 3-4 weeks. Hiking is alot less exhausting, although i mentally push myself farther than my physical body is capable of, I only quit when mentally exhausted. Still, it takes a week to recoup.

both forms are probably being done excessively, but i feel it's the most effective form of exercise and getting back in shape, now that my ankle's all healed (it broke a few months ago)

I don't do much lifting. i see it as pointless waste of energy. I'd rather do something productive than lift a dumbbell 100 times.
Actually as far as that goes, I do alot of arm exercise, with the single stage press and working as a ridiculous pace. You can try it too, size or bell 2800-3200 cases in one hour... a real work out!

I didn't vote on the pole above because I see the benefits of both...

Something you didn't mention is flexibility training. I think a good mix of all three will leave you as physically prepared as possible for any situation. There are added benefits of doing something like martial arts or yoga type exercises for discipline and mindset training in addition to physical training.

As for running, I have a bit of a bad hip, and I want to save as much of it as I can for any SHTF situation. I do run, but I maintain my cardio health by walking/swimming. I try to lift as much as possible for joint/bone health, as well as overall strength. The joint/bone health is one thing many people don't consider as a benefit of weight training, but they will as soon as they start packing heavy items and get a stress-fracture.

I just started working out again after 2 years. Sore doesn't even come close to what I felt for the last 2 days. This morning I feel infinitely better. At this point, I just want to keep my endurance up. Weight training has turned into toning as I really don't need to add anymore muscle. The long road of pain and sweat will be worth it in the end.

I found myself getting fat, lazy and tired... My overall health started to deteriorate too. I was sick and tired of feeling that way, so I starting eating better (more importantly, drank much less) and working out more. My wife had bought the Insanity workout discs, but hadn't used them. I decided, "what could it hurt?" Well, let me tell you... It HURT... I realized how out of shape I really was, but those workouts DO work. I did the full 9 week program and lost 25 pounds. More importantly, I felt better, and I was healthier.

I am a big fan of "functional" work outs, but I am not endorsing Crossfit or anything like that. I find the appeal of cave man training fun. Basically lifting heavy objects, not necessarily weights but irregular shape things you would find in nature, climbing rocks, jogging, sprinting, things that tax all your muscles groups at once basically.

For lifting I love doing barbell complexes, a sequence of interlacing lifts with light to medium weights. Like dead lift, romanian dead lift, standing rows, hang clean overhead press, into good mornings in sets of six without stopping.

I am a big fan of "functional" work outs, but I am not endorsing Crossfit or anything like that. I find the appeal of cave man training fun. Basically lifting heavy objects, not necessarily weights but irregular shape things you would find in nature, climbing rocks, jogging, sprinting, things that tax all your muscles groups at once basically.

For lifting I love doing barbell complexes, a sequence of interlacing lifts with light to medium weights. Like dead lift, romanian dead lift, standing rows, hang clean overhead press, into good mornings in sets of six without stopping.

+1

I much prefer being outside, and doing things that require physical effort. In fact, I hate indoor jobs, but it pays the bills (until I don't have any more). The indoor jobs make it far more challenging to conduct the outdoor work that taxes my body, so I'm often relegated to doing somewhat 'regular' workouts in a gym...

Latest posts

Back