Putting tracks on a van..

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pengyou

Reaction score
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ml?spm=a2700.7724838.2017005.2.441f5296qm2pMj

How feasible would it be to to put tracks like this on a van, pickup or jeep? There are 3, 4, 5 and more ton versions available. Would not likely be a bov, unless you need to negotiate back roads...these are not very fuel efficient and do not usually give you higher speeds. I was thinking of using something like this on 40 acres or so to get around in, as a utility vehicle. Would it be as simple as building a subframe on the tracks and connecting the springs and shock absorbers to the subframe? If hydraulic motors could get me 25-30 mph, I would use them - put a smaller engine in the vehicle and connect it to a hydraulic pump.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ml?spm=a2700.7724838.2017005.2.441f5296qm2pMj

How feasible would it be to to put tracks like this on a van, pickup or jeep? There are 3, 4, 5 and more ton versions available. Would not likely be a bov, unless you need to negotiate back roads...these are not very fuel efficient and do not usually give you higher speeds. I was thinking of using something like this on 40 acres or so to get around in, as a utility vehicle. Would it be as simple as building a subframe on the tracks and connecting the springs and shock absorbers to the subframe? If hydraulic motors could get me 25-30 mph, I would use them - put a smaller engine in the vehicle and connect it to a hydraulic pump.
I wouldn't recommend this brand. Not just because they're made in China, but because they're too cheap. A quality set of tracks for a 1 ton vehicle would cost closer to $20,000+. When I worked in the Polar regions I bought dozens of sets of tracks to be outfitted on trucks, vans and ATVs. Check out a company called Mattracks. I'd recommend them.
If you want a tracked vehicle try looking for a used Spryte, Thiokol, LMC or Tucker. And older one that you could rebuild would be fairly inexpensive.
Be aware that all these tracks are made to operate on snow. If you try using tracks on dry land you'll quickly tear up your vehicle.

I wouldn't recommend this brand. Not just because they're made in China, but because they're too cheap. A quality set of tracks for a 1 ton vehicle would cost closer to $20,000+. When I worked in the Polar regions I bought dozens of sets of tracks to be outfitted on trucks, vans and ATVs. Check out a company called Mattracks. I'd recommend them.
If you want a tracked vehicle try looking for a used Spryte, Thiokol, LMC or Tucker. And older one that you could rebuild would be fairly inexpensive.
Be aware that all these tracks are made to operate on snow. If you try using tracks on dry land you'll quickly tear up your vehicle.
Thank you! Yes, I was hoping to find steel tracks, so that I could do snow and dry land conditions.

Is it a relatively easy conversion? Is the transmission of the donor vehicle usually connected to the tracks or do they usually use hydraulic motors?

Is it a relatively easy conversion? Is the transmission of the donor vehicle usually connected to the tracks or do they usually use hydraulic motors?
Typically the tire and wheel are removed from the vehicle and the track assembly is bolted on to the vehicles lug bolts.
There's an option on some track units that have a hydraulic piston that plumbs in to the vehicles power steering pump. When the steering wheel is turned the cylinder pushes down on a wheel in the center of the track as an aid in steering. Otherwise these tracks are very hard to steer, even with power steering.
Fyi, some vehicles will require a lift kit in order to fit the tracks.

Consider extra large wheel and tyre conversion of the type that is crazily common in Iceland, Could be cheaper than tracks.
upload_2019-10-4_8-52-46.jpeg

upload_2019-10-4_8-53-7.jpeg

upload_2019-10-4_8-53-31.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back