Protein Bars

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's come to my attention that I need to increase my bug-out food supply, and protein and other nutrition bars come to mind.

My backpacking experience has been with the classic Powerbars, and those are pretty good and will keep you going. My parents are big fans of Cliff bars but I have trouble finding ones that I enjoy the taste of. They pack a lot of stuff into those little bars though so I may need to try some new flavors.

Besides those, I don't have a lot of experience with different bars. They're not the cheapest thing and there are a lot of brands an types at my supermarket so rather than start trying them all, I thought I'd see what you guys like.

It's come to my attention that I need to increase my bug-out food supply, and protein and other nutrition bars come to mind.

My backpacking experience has been with the classic Powerbars, and those are pretty good and will keep you going. My parents are big fans of Cliff bars but I have trouble finding ones that I enjoy the taste of. They pack a lot of stuff into those little bars though so I may need to try some new flavors.

Besides those, I don't have a lot of experience with different bars. They're not the cheapest thing and there are a lot of brands an types at my supermarket so rather than start trying them all, I thought I'd see what you guys like.
I only have freeze dry stuff in my bag, I need to get some sort of high sustaining bar's as well so I'm glad you've brought it up. I

I actually like the Mainstay ration bars. They are designed just for this purpose, and taste like a lemon cookie. They last a long time, and pack pretty well. But, these are last resort. Like an above poster mentioned....freeze-dried, all the way. Why have a ration bar when the same weight can be beef stroganoff? The quick answer is when you don't have fire or water and need to eat while walking. So that's what they are for. Of course, some jerky is good too.

I actually like the Mainstay ration bars. They are designed just for this purpose, and taste like a lemon cookie. They last a long time, and pack pretty well. But, these are last resort. Like an above poster mentioned....freeze-dried, all the way. Why have a ration bar when the same weight can be beef stroganoff? The quick answer is when you don't have fire or water and need to eat while walking. So that's what they are for. Of course, some jerky is good too.
The problem with my freeze dried food is it just don't have the right nutrients and I'm sure after a few day's of eating it I'd be feeling a bit slugging.

Next time I grocery shop I'll try to see what I can find, and get a few things to try. Gaz, you had me at lemon cookie.

And I hear that about freeze-dried food lacking in nutrients a lot but in my experience, freeze-dried food, jerky, and trail mix is all you need to get from one rim of the Grand Canyon to the other and back again, which takes about a week and a half. No complaints there, but that cheeseburger when you get out is like heaven in your mouth...

Next time I grocery shop I'll try to see what I can find, and get a few things to try. Gaz, you had me at lemon cookie.

And I hear that about freeze-dried food lacking in nutrients a lot but in my experience, freeze-dried food, jerky, and trail mix is all you need to get from one rim of the Grand Canyon to the other and back again, which takes about a week and a half. No complaints there, but that cheeseburger when you get out is like heaven in your mouth...
That's the best thing about going for a walk about/Camping. The moment you get home you can stuff your face, go for a shower and sleep in your own cosy bed...for some strange reason I always end up watching old re-runs of star trek when I get home.

Haha, I know what you mean. It's the little comforts of home that get to you. That's why I have a copy of one of my favorite books in my bug out. Might make room for some of my comics too but it's obviously a lower priority than food and water!

Snagged a pair of Powerbars on sale but I noticed they expire December of this year! No bueno. Will need to look into these other brands to see how long they stay good for. Can always just rotate the bars but it's easier to put em in the bag and not have to worry about it after that.

Snagged a pair of Powerbars on sale but I noticed they expire December of this year! No bueno. Will need to look into these other brands to see how long they stay good for. Can always just rotate the bars but it's easier to put em in the bag and not have to worry about it after that.
I had a look at power bars for body builders....Do you think they would be good?

i would just stick to museli bars mostly. lots of calories and comes with nice flavors generally. wouldn't take the yoghurt or chocolate ones though as they'll melt...

i would just stick to museli bars mostly. lots of calories and comes with nice flavors generally. wouldn't take the yoghurt or chocolate ones though as they'll melt...
Yip that's what I've got, good point about melting choc.

currently some of what I pack are Nature Valley "Peanut Butter" Granola bars. They crumble to bits like crazy but they are high calorie for small packages.

Next I go for japanese/korean snacks called "Calorie Balance" pretty decently priced, taste good (They have MAPLE FLAVOR!) and don't melt... my hiking food of choice.

Haha, I know what you mean. It's the little comforts of home that get to you. That's why I have a copy of one of my favorite books in my bug out. Might make room for some of my comics too but it's obviously a lower priority than food and water!
Forgot too ask which comics you into?

Latest posts

Back