pro's and con's of body armour,when to wear and when not..

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
as Joe SA suggested;

we would like have your input and ideas,when to wear body armour and when not,
when does functionality say;don't and when does it look only tacti-cool.

I do believe that every piece of equipment has its function, i wear my body armour when going out when we assist our neighbours when they have home invasions, or when we do local patrols, but running their trails, we ditch it (take what you need and leave the rest in the vehicle) on foot you will never catch up to these buggers wearing BA.

The whole issue is very contentious at best, Why body armour unless you think you are going to end up in a full on gun battle? MOST of us preppers are individuals perhaps with on board partners or kids are you chaps planning on getting into gun fights with your family as your team?. I suppose if you are making a last stand with no chance of escape then yeah body armour will help for a while. But we aint cops, sheriffs or soldiers and nor are we likely (realistically) going to fight cops or soldiers.

Home intrusion? Assisting neighbours under attack is CRIME FIGHTING and OK for armour if you have time. Will you have TIME to put on your armour before you get you gun and go after the intruder in your own home?. My own view in an intruder situation is to react FAST with a FAST response, throw a flash bang ( thunderflash) into the room, fire a volley then withdraw with family. ( I was taught that by a sheriff in KS)

Bugging out ? unless your like JOE in a militia planning on moving an entire community long distance then WHY, We all know that for PREPPERS that SPEED is essential followed by MANEUVERABILITY , Armour is I think for unavoidable confrontational situations IF and ONLY IF you can pick the time and place for the confrontation. Then even so as a prepper you are still highly likely to have a need to sod off quickly.

NOW in FAIRNESS if any of us were going on business to Paris, Brussels, Chicago, LA, Houston, Pretoria a bullet resistant vest on under your jacket or shirt is just good best practice, ( knife proof for UK ). Kids going to high school in high risk areas is another good option for knife proof gear.

If you are going to a prepper rendezvous and you are unsure of what awaits then yes an undershirt kevlar layer is prudent.

For Post Apoc patrolling your local area YES armour

But for most CIVILIAN applications put Greyman, Speed and flexibility , we aint soldiers and nor should we try to be.

Nor except for home / personal defence should we be confrontational if we can avoid taking casualities within a family group.

YOU cannot eat or drink body armour.

as an "old goat" I know I can walk on foot long distances if I have to,but I'd hate to carry alot,I'm lazy,simple fact ;)
do I have some gear?? 'course I have,no question about it,some still need to be bought.

if I stay here and only do recce in my near surroundings,then I will carry some more heavy stuff,but I'm able to adapt what to carry.

Sooooo Robin Hood and his outlaws, The Kansas Redlegs, The CSA raiding cav, the French Marquis, The SA Boer Kommandoes, Yugolav partisians, Finnish Jaeger, Colonial Rebels in 1776, the Vietminh, VietCong, Karen Rebels, Plains Native Americans, Irish Repub army, Boko Harem, Laurence of Arabia. one thing they all had in common is they KNEW through bitter experience that SPEED trumps ARMOUR for irregular or asymetric warfare.

as an "old goat" I know I can walk on foot long distances if I have to,but I'd hate to carry alot,I'm lazy,simple fact ;)
do I have some gear?? 'course I have,no question about it,some still need to be bought.

if I stay here and only do recce in my near surroundings,then I will carry some more heavy stuff,but I'm able to adapt what to carry.

Why take a bullet to the chest when the tree you are hiding behind can do the job better

Sooooo Robin Hood and his outlaws, The Kansas Redlegs, The CSA raiding cav, the French Marquis, The SA Boer Kommandoes, Yugolav partisians, Finnish Jaeger, Colonial Rebels in 1776, the Vietminh, VietCong, Karen Rebels, Plains Native Americans, Irish Repub army, Boko Harem, Laurence of Arabia. one thing they all had in common is they KNEW through bitter experience that SPEED trumps ARMOUR for irregular or asymetric warfare.

we have to be flexible as hell and remember that!

Jonnte I'm just guessing wildly that you went the 10/22 route partly because of weight, portability, ammout of ammo you can affoort as well as local law. To me alll great considerations, but are you or do you think you will lose the advantage the light weight and portability offers by wearing armour?

I'm NOT saying you shouldn't buy BA if you can/need it,it's up to you and your personal need,where you plan to hunker in,if you have transport, right now tyransport for me would mean I "borrow" some from my neighbors here if it would go bad .

Jonnte I'm just guessing wildly that you went the 10/22 route partly because of weight, portability, ammout of ammo you can affoort as well as local law. To me alll great considerations, but are you or do you think you will lose the advantage the light weight and portability offers by wearing armour?
yup,light weight and local law :)
not much, as my BA is that vest incl front plate I carried in previous work,nothing like those heavy cumbersome things the mil have,but if don't have to carry it,this old dude is more manouverble and can have more water,more ammo (if needed).

I believe this image is of a modern US based prepper dressed for ops. I still do not agree with low level pouches
35731_story_x_large.jpg

yup,light weight and local law :)
not much, as my BA is that vest incl front plate I carried in previous work,nothing like those heavy cumbersome things the mil have,but if don't have to carry it,this old dude is more manouverble and can have more water,more ammo (if needed).

Water Food and Ammo, = father son and holy ghost :)

Makes me remember an article from Soldier Magazine decades ago reporting on a multi regiment competition march to to top of a vicious welsh hill top, everyone had to carry 25pounds of kit for the race. So everyone loaded up their packs and got weighed. then off they went up the mountain.

When they all got to the top they were knackered to a man. Then they emptied their packs Paras, Guards, Infantry the lot tipped piles of rocks onto the ground, except the Gurkas...................... they had filled their packs with 25 pounds of FOOD and WATER.

what slightly worries me is,are the EU gonna ban mags +20 for .22 cal too or not??

Hah not only do they want to ban big capacity mags but they also want to (A) limit the amount of mags you own (B) only allow you to use OE mags no aftermarket gear. EG the Ruger 10/22 will be limited to TEN round OE mags......... oh and I read someplace 22LR Yellowjacket and Stinger and hyper velocity ammo is on their list to be banned along with many after market accessories...................................... So when are you bastards in Scandinavia have your own EU referendum and get out of the EUSSR, To be honest jaws dropped when Finland joined we always thought you lot answered to NO ONE.

Latest posts

Back